Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Legit or Cheating?

Originally Posted by disorganise View Post (Source)
    I have learned lots from this thread.
    Had no idea missiles existed that could affect your thrusters nor fsd. Wow.
    You and me both, bruthah (I knew about the FSD, thanks to Truesilver's interesting video on engineering the Grom Bomb; but my misunderstanding of drag munitions' effects (and when/where it is most/least beneficial in a fight) was significant). I'm also embarrassed to say that I somehow managed to play for more than 1000hrs (mostly PvE but with occasional forays into PvP) without really understanding how inconsistent the effects of pips are across the various systems! Imagine my dismay at how sub-optimally I've been operating when this thread made me go in search of the effects of pips to systems!

Refresher:

So this thread has great info even for PvE flying, if you're the kind of trader that doesn't ever like to run from a fight or an interdiction and your mission profiles frequently put you into 1v2 or 1v5+ fights! These little tidbits of knowledge can make a big difference when your medium-hull money maker is having to face down a couple of high-level anacondas (and you want them to die closely enough together that policing up their mats doesn't cost you too much time!).

Originally Posted by BL1P View Post (Source)
    Speed not sure on details but most missiles and torpedoes are slow.
    Pritty sure 500 will outrun most ?
    FTR, Dumb fires travel at 750, seekers at 625, and Packhounds at 600 meters per second. So for most combat/trading ships (outfitted to fight and/or haul cargo), outrunning is not a reliable defense, especially when these are often fired at ranges that minimize reaction time or the protection of a PD. Of course, outrunning a torpedo (250m/s) is viable for most ships. But the other tactical consideration for all of them is that time spent evading (or even being distracted by) missiles might be time too easily spent losing position vs your adversary(ies).

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    @ 6:31: "hold still". Just saying.
    Was going for a semi-controlled test. Could have made it closer to an actual combat scenario, but that would have required significantly more prep.

To the person (Morbad?) asking about Power Mgmt. The Python runs around 70% total power consumption, so I never have problems when the ship's in good trim. I would have entered the interdiction 2 SYS, 4 ENG, 0 WEP. Once I realised I'd need to fight, I don't know if my fingers would have automatically gone to my default attack posture of 2 SYS, 0 ENG, 4 WEP (I do this because I can have the two beam lasers on near continuous fire - if a PvE fight gets sticky, or in between 'turns' as the ships come about, I'll toggle to 4 SYS, 0 ENG, 2 WEP).

To the person saying this thread supports a 'fly solo' approach - I don't buy that. While I have very few other CMDR interactions, I do welcome them (usually!) when they come, and yesterday's sharp lesson has helped me review and revise my approach, and I was a little more cautious returning to Lave to complete my mission later in the day, but did so, and in Open. I like being able to chat to my neighbour in a nearby system, and we try to help each other out with supporting our chosen minor factions, and I've met some others too. I couldn't do that in solo. Playing solo feels like 1984! when I played the first Elite game. Why, in a joined-up internet-enabled world, would I not seek to enjoy the company of other players, and put aside the ones out for cheap PvP kills? True, I don't go after CGs at all now, and haven't gone looking for Thargoids, so I've not really got into multi-CMDR instancing much.

To the person who said they've learned from this thread - you're welcome, and so have I. It's prompted me to go back and want to 'finish' the Engineers (I felt I'd done 'enough' last year, but clearly there's some more). I also now too better understand power management. 4 pips to Engines in the Python gives a cruise speed of 290 and a boost to 383. With 2 pips to Engines I get cruise 230, but boost 370, so as another person posted, 4 pips to Engines doesn't materially help in boosting away (although it does replenish the power capacity faster). I'd not realised this before, and since reading about that I've been typically flying 4 SYS, 2 ENG, 0 WEP, as default.

There's always more to learn in a game like this, even after four years of ED, and ~34 years since I first jumped in a CMDR's seat.

As an aside, I never earned my Elite rank back in the 1980s, but after ~four years! (yes, I play a SLOW game!), I'm edging closer now. I'm rank 8 on all three dimensions, 67% Deadly (combat), 74% Tycoon (trade) and 20% Pioneer (explorer). I'm trying to play so I get all of them in the high 90s% together and then try and make triple Elite on the same day!! wish me luck. It's a game within a game - I've been slow pedaling on trading for months now, working up my combat and more recently explorer ranks. If I go after the Palin Eng that will prompt me to take a 5000Ly exploration run too, so will boost my rank and help with getting more from Engineers.

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    He has a point though. Nothing is advocating Solo more than threads like this one does. Also, as a solo player myself, I actually think that if everyone would play in Solo Frontier would have to deliver some true (other than human) content.
    Well that's not remotely true, especially compared to the active campaigning you guys are doing right now.
    People are generally asking for advice, not where to flee to.
    Try answering the questions, or not.

edit: That's actually what drove me to open and never to a PG, ftr;
    you sort always butting in to advice threads, suggesting people play in PG instead of answering the questions.
    What kind of passive aggressive nonsense is that?

Originally Posted by Johnny Cyclops View Post (Source)
    To the person (Morbad?) asking about Power Mgmt. The Python runs around 70% total power consumption, so I never have problems when the ship's in good trim. I would have entered the interdiction 2 SYS, 4 ENG, 0 WEP. Once I realised I'd need to fight, I don't know if my fingers would have automatically gone to my default attack posture of 2 SYS, 0 ENG, 4 WEP (I do this because I can have the two beam lasers on near continuous fire - if a PvE fight gets sticky, or in between 'turns' as the ships come about, I'll toggle to 4 SYS, 0 ENG, 2 WEP).

To the person saying this thread supports a 'fly solo' approach - I don't buy that. While I have very few other CMDR interactions, I do welcome them (usually!) when they come, and yesterday's sharp lesson has helped me review and revise my approach, and I was a little more cautious returning to Lave to complete my mission later in the day, but did so, and in Open. I like being able to chat to my neighbour in a nearby system, and we try to help each other out with supporting our chosen minor factions, and I've met some others too. I couldn't do that in solo. Playing solo feels like 1984! when I played the first Elite game. Why, in a joined-up internet-enabled world, would I not seek to enjoy the company of other players, and put aside the ones out for cheap PvP kills? True, I don't go after CGs at all now, and haven't gone looking for Thargoids, so I've not really got into multi-CMDR instancing much.

To the person who said they've learned from this thread - you're welcome, and so have I. It's prompted me to go back and want to 'finish' the Engineers (I felt I'd done 'enough' last year, but clearly there's some more). I also now too better understand power management. 4 pips to Engines in the Python gives a cruise speed of 290 and a boost to 383. With 2 pips to Engines I get cruise 230, but boost 370, so as another person posted, 4 pips to Engines doesn't materially help in boosting away (although it does replenish the power capacity faster). I'd not realised this before, and since reading about that I've been typically flying 4 SYS, 2 ENG, 0 WEP, as default.

There's always more to learn in a game like this, even after four years of ED, and ~34 years since I first jumped in a CMDR's seat.

As an aside, I never earned my Elite rank back in the 1980s, but after ~four years! (yes, I play a SLOW game!), I'm edging closer now. I'm rank 8 on all three dimensions, 67% Deadly (combat), 74% Tycoon (trade) and 20% Pioneer (explorer). I'm trying to play so I get all of them in the high 90s% together and then try and make triple Elite on the same day!! wish me luck. It's a game within a game - I've been slow pedaling on trading for months now, working up my combat and more recently explorer ranks. If I go after the Palin Eng that will prompt me to take a 5000Ly exploration run too, so will boost my rank and help with getting more from Engineers.
    I would rep you twice if I could.
    Great spirit.

A max built pvp ship will wreck anything but another max built pvp ship extremely fast, and even that if you aren't very good. And of course, there's only a few ships that are really good for this. Thanks, engineers.

Originally Posted by Camisade View Post (Source)
    FTR, Dumb fires travel at 750, seekers at 625, and Packhounds at 600 meters per second. So for most combat/trading ships (outfitted to fight and/or haul cargo), outrunning is not a reliable defense, especially when these are often fired at ranges that minimize reaction time or the protection of a PD. Of course, outrunning a torpedo (250m/s) is viable for most ships. But the other tactical consideration for all of them is that time spent evading (or even being distracted by) missiles might be time too easily spent losing position vs your adversary(ies).
    Cool info. Thanks.
    I must have been just going off the torp info in my head.

I like being able to chat to my neighbour in a nearby system, and we try to help each other out with supporting our chosen minor factions, and I've met some others too. I couldn't do that in solo. Playing solo feels like 1984!
    That's something I often ponder on. So much I seem to be chatty on the forums so much I hate chatting in game, though forum talking isn't precisely the same as 'chatting'. So what's left for me (no big fan of adrenaline rushes btw) other than receiving such wonders you've described in your OP?

Other than that, I love it when the game still feels like the original from 1984!

Bad luck, OP.

Is fighting a player interdiction even possible in most cases, now? I couldn't believe how quickly I was being targeted and pulled from SC, even with G5 engineering.

Originally Posted by Murgle View Post (Source)
    So am I the only one who feels things are a bit off in the "balance" department?
    No Commander, you shouldn't feel that way, there are soooo many of us that feel exactly the same way.... balance is an alien concept with FDev IMO

I was just interdicted by another CMDR, first time in a long time, and effectively 'inst-deathed' and I simply don't know how or why.

I was in a Python, the other CMDR in an Alliance Chieftain. I did what I usually do (mostly with NPCs) and surrendered to the interdiction, figuring I'd boost-boost-boost-high-wake.

First I try to boost and get a message like "Engines capped at reduced thrust". That's weird. How, inside of two seconds of interdiction are my engines damaged?

I've got fast cool down on the FSD, so as soon as it's available I turn it on for SC (as I have no other system locked), and the FSD is 2/3rds through charging and I get an "FSD offline" meesage. Total time now around eight-nine seconds.

Ok, now I think I have to fight, so open hardpoints and start to come around, and get a "weapons malfunction" - not just one, but all five - beam lasers and multi-cannon.

My shields are dropping, the CMDR is shooting, so I try an SCB, to no avail, shields drop and straightaway I'm at 9% hull with a 'corrosive attack' message on screen.

Then the ship dies. The whole thing took less than 30 seconds. I consider the Python setup to be pretty sturdy, yet this CMDR opened me up like a can of peas.

QUESTION
    Is this a CMDR cheating, using ways to turn things off in my ship? I've never seen any of this before. I'm just a basic trader, explorer, missioneer, BGSer. Or is it some higher-level of Engineering I've not previously encountered, that allowed the CMDR to speed limit my ship (no boost), turn off FSD, turn off my weapons, etc?

TIA
    JC
    He probably destroyed all your modules with the Fletchet launcher... practically the new meta as it bypasses shields and wrecks all your hardpoints and utilities - if you had shield boosters, which only have 55hp, they would've gotten wasted in a few salvos and reduced your maximum shields straight off the bat.

Once all your modules were down, he continued to use grom missiles and other nasty stuff to keep you locked down.

Without point-defence, you'll have no defence against these various OP missiles or Fletchet cannons. Even two defence points (full engineered with more ammo) sometimes isn't enough.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456