Thread: "Terrain warning. Increase altitude"

"Terrain warning. Increase altitude"

Strange warning. Using a DC at a planetary base gave me this message from the flight command at the base. I get it every time but I can't remember the base name now (I've moved on) but it was near Sol, maybe LHS 380. What does it mean? The DC duly re-ascends then lands the ship without issue .

Edit. It may have been Kings Landing but that may just be my inner Game of Thrones talking.

The Blackwater is on fire...

Sounds like the DC being a bit oblivious to the ground rushing up to meet it Any idea what the G of that planet was? That can catch you / the DC out too.

What it means? Just about the same as when the TC tells you that the path is clear despite a couple of Belugas playing chicken, or to continue on your current vector when you're running at 300 m/s towards the wall besides the toast rack.

I'd guess that one basic requirements for employment as a space traffic controller is being blind, with being deaf as well as a definite bonus.

Yeah an annoying bug at some surface ports where the controller issues the "terrain warning" when you are lowering onto the pad - even when the DC is doing the docking - stupid innit - nearly as bad as "descend to flight level 100" - as if I am going to climb up to 10,000ft!

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    I'd guess that one basic requirements for employment as a space traffic controller is being blind, with being deaf as well as a definite bonus.

The first few times I landed anywhere, I took them seriously. Then I had the "maintain current vector" given to me as I was desperately trying to correct my attitude and thrust which was heading me into the toast-rack at some speed at the time..

I got that landing at Youll Vision, which is a planetary base in Ling Deti.
    I was so distracted wondering why it was complaining about my altitude that I crashed into one of the towers.

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    To be fair to STC's,it's a low entry level/saturday job for most,who spend their time studying for their pilots licence whilst waiting to turn attain their majority.Turnover is pretty high.

They're all moonlighting as well, so they're probbably exhausted and not functioning correctly. I mean, that Yorkshire-woman turns up in every other station, as does the Aussie girl who gets really snotty if you use a wake scanner in the no-fire zone. And the bloke who sounds like Chekov is confined to planets, but he gets around a fair bit as well

Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    They're all moonlighting as well, so they're probbably exhausted and not functioning correctly. I mean, that Yorkshire-woman turns up in every other station, as does the Aussie girl who gets really snotty if you use a wake scanner in the no-fire zone. And the bloke who sounds like Chekov is confined to planets, but he gets around a fair bit as well
    And then there is the one that sounds like Nick Briggs (at his Saturday night job) who seems to work for all the Engineers.

Yes,High Grav is probably the culprit.What size ship are you in?I dont have much experience with the docking computer.I tried it in the early days ,but couldn't get on with it.(i was in a small ship and the motion almost made me space-sick, so landing became 'do or die', or perhaps that should be 'do or rebuy'.)

It was in my AspX - didn't try my others but I don't have any large stuff. Too poor

Originally Posted by phong View Post (Source)
    Yes,High Grav is probably the culprit......
    No it isn't. It is a known bug in some ports - I have had it in many low-g (less than 0.5g) locations.

I had that warning once just as I realized I was out of control, I steered my nose up and boosted. And oddly I had no warning about that when I was delivering a payload at Laksak while my Asp X was floundering around like a... umm... flounder on the rocks outside the landing. I found out in a hurry that my vertical thrusters don't work the same at Trader's Rest as they do on other planets. Luckily, I did manage to dock so my payload wasn't lost. I had also accidentally toggled my flight assist, so that didn't help either because my vertical thrusters didn't seem to be enough to gain altitude.