Thread: Shields and mass.

Shields and mass.

Question. Since Shields have an "optimal mass", beyond which effectiveness tails off, is this effected by anything other than the mass of the hull?

For example. If I remove a hrp, moving my ship closer to the generator's optimal mass, do I get slightly better shields?

Hull mass is the only relevant stat, and changes to your current mass won't affect your shields' strength.

It's based on hull mass, not total mass. You can't change a ships hull mass. Leaving slots empty to save weight can make you faster but has no effect on shields.

That's what I thought. So why do my shields pop the moment someone trumps vigorously on them?

Even chucking pips in doesn't help much and these class 5 shields take ages to recharge.

What ship and what if any engineering do you have on the generator and boosters?

Originally Posted by Noddie View Post (Source)
    That's what I thought. So why do my shields pop the moment someone trumps vigorously on them?

Even chucking pips in doesn't help much and these class 5 shields take ages to recharge.
    It's hard to tell without knowing the rating (A-E) of the shield as well as the ship you're using it on. Your ship defines the base value of the shield, the class/rating acts as a modifier on top of that.

If you're mounting a 5E shield on a ship with a weak base value, it wont do you much good in combat.

Assuming you have Horizons, you can (should) also engineer your shields to have better damage resistance and more capacity to absorb damage. Pips to SYS help in any case