Thread: A proposal. Well, 3 actually: Faction Budgets; Mining Permits; Trade Wars

A proposal. Well, 3 actually: Faction Budgets; Mining Permits; Trade Wars

Note: This post ended up a lot bigger then I'd planned, so bear with me. One idea led to another and then another. Some of these ideas would overlap/build onto the recent BSG proposal (especially the ability to join a faction) and the forthcoming Squadron feature in 3.4. I just thought I'd get my crazy ideas out there.

Imagine if the UK went to a oilfield in say....Qatar, pumped some oil out, say "ta very much!", and then left to make profits. I think Oatar would be a bit annoyed that anyone is taking all the profits from resources extracted from their territory.

And yet, this is what's happening now with mining in ED.

You can go to any system with rings, controlled by any faction, mine rocks, and sell for profit. There's no benefit whatsoever to the controlling faction of those rings, and that feels.......wrong.

I propose that a controlling faction should have a profit share of all materials mined in that system. That leads to another, major-release feature (or a few) which would have repercussions across the whole game (and have some players rightfully asking 'is this still Elite?')

1) Factions should have a budget, which the AI/player faction can control
    We already have Boom and Bust states for factions, along with Investment and Expansion which sucks up credits as well. Why not take it to the next step? I propose that each faction has a budget, which is allocated due to various factors including (but not limited to):

• Number of system owned
    • Number of systems controlled
    • The faction state itself (so for instance, outbreak would hit that budget)
    • Services offered at the factions starports
    • Profit made from the markets which the faction controls.
    • Thargoid incursions. At present a controlling faction can have a station attacked and remain in Boom state. Seriously? The deployment of a rescue ship alone should have some financial impact. Not to mention other effects on tourism and related passenger missions (civilians would be fleeing that system).
    • Player contributions? Should faction membership be free for players?

Services offered at starports would also eat up the budget. Sure, you want to offer all services at your facilities, but can you afford to? If a faction doesn't have the funds, then its time for cut-backs, just like in the real world. Do you close the shipyard over here, or at the outpost over there? Do you really need to offer restocking? Not many Commanders use your station anyway. Can you afford the manufacturer license to sell Lakon hardware at your stations? How many T6 were sold at your stations anyway?

Players factions would have access to all the information required to make these decisions. Like, number of Commanders who visited your outposts, what transactions were performed at your star-ports, transaction types (Market / Shipyard). etc. There would be some-sort of faction management UI to allow faction members to request and vote for these decisions.

2) Where does mining come into this? Mining permits.
    A faction would takes a small cut of any profits made from mining within their controlled systems. You'd need to earn reputation with that faction in order to get a permit. Of course, you could try to mine without a permit, evade any system authority ships performing scans within the ring, and then keep all the profits for yourself. Of course, I wouldn't condone such unlawful behaviour since the potential for fun is clearly exceeded.

3) Someone said 'Trade Wars are fun'. They could be in Elite Dangerous
    Faction annoying you? You export food to them? Let em starve! Impose a trade embargo on all food exported to that faction from your markets! Plunge them into famine, let their stomachs rumble and their profits fall while your faction eats cake! This opens up potential smuggling opportunities for other players who try to break the embargo, along with players importing foods from system further away, but you're ready for that aren't you?

"But what about solo play?" I hear you cry? Well, I also suggest reducing the impact of embargoed imports when in Solo play, to encourage some real blockade gameplay.

Also, what about Trade Tariffs? I think the ability for a faction to impose a tariff on another faction (to promote its own growth, financially and for population) could be....interesting. Of course, such an action would have the potential to back-fire (check out real-life events right now).

I short, I think there's a lot more ED could do with Trade, beyond the tools added for traders in 3.0. Wars have started because of trade disagreements, why should the ED-Verse, containing hundreds of factions and MurderDeathKill for station loitering, be any different?

4) Powerplay / BGS impact

• Mining systems now become a good target for power-play expansion
    • Player factions can perform actions to economically weaken their rivals, which have a real impact on that faction.

Right, I'm done rambling. If you made it this far, thanks for reading.

The budget, and most of the suggestion appears to be what FD tried to do with power play.

It's just that power play kinda sucks.

I love your ideas though. Highly doubt any of it will ever be nearly done though.
    Far too complex and sensible.

Originally Posted by Novo Mundus View Post (Source)
    The budget, and most of the suggestion appears to be what FD tried to do with power play.

It's just that power play kinda sucks.

I love your ideas though. Highly doubt any of it will ever be nearly done though.
    Far too complex and sensible.
    Thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean about Powerplay, that really needs some improvements, hopefully in Beyond.

At the moment I don't really care about the Powerplay factions, or even minor factions. Apart from access to Powerplay hardware and better missions from allied factions, the game doesn't give me any motivation to care. It would be great if that would change, at least at a faction level.