Thread: Collision Issues - Long Time Problem

Collision Issues - Long Time Problem

I'm not talking about ship-to-ship collisions, but rather the lack of collision detection between things like Mining Fragments and the rocks that spawned them, or canisters and the hatch the spawned them. Pop a megaship hatch open and you can nearly count on at least one of the canisters spawned to be stuck inside the hatch, where it cannot be retrieved, or to drift just inside the ship where it cannot be retrieved.

Quite annoying, given the level of detail in the game.

Had a few issues in the past myself with this, but they are few and far between and overall things go well for me. I have even had guardian tech stuck after firing to release them. Also USS I have had a few materials stuck next to wreckage and for the life of me I cannot get to it.

Yes it is annoying and frustrating, but as I said overall they are not too common for me.

You could put in a ticket to FDev to report the problem and hope they will look at it, but don't hold your breath as we have other bugs in the game that have not been looked at and they know about these.

Just put it down to experience and look beyond it to see some of the positives of the game to try and make yourself feel better when it happens again.

Fly safe Cmdr's
    o7

This was a minor annoyance for me - until I finally outfitted a cutter for mining with 12 limpets - watching one after the other explode as they try to get to the same fragment that appeared inside the asteroid got old fast.

I had problems in a USS - the ones with the already wrecked ship in it - where I lost a batch of limpets that tried to fly through the wreck to get to something on the other side. I manoeuvred to the other side of the wreck, thinking that'd sort things, but it turned out that the last bit of material was stuck inside the wreckage, basically clipped into it, so I had to leave it behind.

I even tried ramming the wreck to see if I could free things, the the wreck is immovable it seems.

Scoob.

Doesn't happen often, but irksome when it does.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    This was a minor annoyance for me - until I finally outfitted a cutter for mining with 12 limpets - watching one after the other explode as they try to get to the same fragment that appeared inside the asteroid got old fast.
    Yes, along with its slightly less annoying but still wasteful cousin, the limpet that passes through the asteroid right in front of you and carries on for 4km before it hits something.

You can make a sort of game-within-a-game with the first problem, by adjusting the ship's position and trying to judge which bits of rotating asteroid will spit the fragments outward and which will leave them trapped within the larger geometry of the 'roid. Or you can just selectively target non-rotating rocks. The point is that we shouldn't have to.

I confirmed the limpet issue twice in the Bugs forum on the back of other players' reports, provided video evidence, was thanked for my input and told there was a possible line of investigation, after which it was crickets all the way down. I notice that both reports are now in the Archive, and neither phasing limpets nor entrapped fragments are mentioned on the Known Issues list.

A range of conclusions may be drawn from this, and I invite everyone to pick their favourite.