Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guardian sites in VR....phew

Originally Posted by rlsg View Post (Source)
    Different notional settings and different technologies in essence. In the SLF case, the source vessel is still fully operational and in flight further more the target vessel is little more than a drone. In the Multi-crew case, the source vessel is notionally parked up somewhere safe - the actual specifics of the Multicrew telepresence technology is a bit moot but it is worth keeping in mind that the target vessel is also not a drone.

As for there being no exploration focused SLFs, I would never expect there to be one. However, as I have already pointed out some kind of flying SRV is the most likely solution for what you seem to want.

As for the SRV death thing, that is a game mechanic - you actually die in the SRV case but in the SLF case you only lose the drone. We do not Telepresence into our SRVs but we do into our SLFs.
    For the life of me I can't tell why anyone would be against a "flying SRV" / "science SLF". Sounds like a lot of fun + added utility. As for the telepresence mechanic, the justifications are up to the player's "imagination". In any case the problem is easily solvable by giving the player the option to skip telepresence and simply board the SLF physically. This is a possibility they've discussed doing.

Just make sure you're getting a locked 90fps, and voila, no motion sickness.

Turn settings down if you need to. I think a lot of the reports of nausea at these sites comes down to the fps dropping as they're the more demanding areas in the game and much more likely to cause fps drops.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    For the life of me I can't tell why anyone would be against a "flying SRV" / "science SLF". Sounds like a lot of fun + added utility. As for the telepresence mechanic, the justifications are up to the player's "imagination". In any case the problem is easily solvable by giving the player the option to skip telepresence and simply board the SLF physically. This is a possibility they've discussed doing.
    Try reading again... I am not against a Flying SRV BUT I think you have you are trying to mutate something into something it was never meant to be.

FD adding an SRV that can hover or fly is not outside the realms of possibility IMO but asking them to change the fundamental nature of the SLF mechanic probably is.

Originally Posted by Jon flint View Post (Source)

Turn settings down if you need to. I think a lot of the reports of nausea at these sites comes down to the fps dropping as they're the more demanding areas in the game and much more likely to cause fps drops.
    Does not matter for me. Its the turret turning and driving over the small hills that does it.

Originally Posted by Jon flint View Post (Source)

Consistently high frame rate concerns are not necessarily a universal problem but in VR technical circles it is often seen as being a major potential cause. That being said, I would say providing the frame rates are steady, do not stutter, and are above about 25/30fps then it is probably good enough for a lot of people. Higher is better but IME I find too much emphasis is put on the precise FPS rates in general - different people may have different tolerances in regards to what aggregate FPS would be acceptable but stuttering and irregular FPS is a bigger concern overall.

Having the stereoscopic inter-pupil distance not properly configured can also be a major cause of VR sickness since it could cause eye strain in effect - again different people may have different tolerance levels in this regard.

The most common cause of VR/simulator sickness IME is wide range varying motion like you can get if you do not lock your headset view relative to the horizon (c/f Sea Sickness). Even then, different people will have different tolerance levels in this regard.

I know people who find they can not play your average non-VR FPS games without becoming nauseous for some reason. I also know people who have problems with 3D movies in general. Some can use the TV interlaced high resolution modes of the Atari/Amiga that have visible but regular flicker while others can not tolerate it.

Overall, my point being there are no easy or universal single one-hit solutions to VR/simulator sickness - each individual would need to experiment with the various settings and options in order to find out what are significant factors for them and/or what their personal tolerances are wrt the factors in play.

Iíd love to see a hover alternative to the SRV, based on skimmer technology perhaps.

I have a pretty rock-solid stomach when it comes to VR, but thereís something about the bumpy terrain, the handling of the SRV and the constant whine of the engines that just gives me a pounding headache after 30 minutes or so (not VR sickness per se, but itís definitely an unpleasant experience). I try to spend as much time floating as possible.

Originally Posted by rhiz View Post (Source)
    I’d love to see a hover alternative to the SRV, based on skimmer technology perhaps.

I have a pretty rock-solid stomach when it comes to VR, but there’s something about the bumpy terrain, the handling of the SRV and the constant whine of the engines that just gives me a pounding headache after 30 minutes or so (not VR sickness per se, but it’s definitely an unpleasant experience). I try to spend as much time floating as possible.
    I could be wrong but it sounds to me like your issue main issue may be related to eye strain more than anything, it may be worth checking your inter-pupil distance is set correctly. There are many potential causes but the implementation of SRV handling per se is unlikely to be one of them.

Maybe I am just fortunate, but with the horizon level option on I have little to no problem with motion sickness in VR/SRV. The guardian site I went to for the FSD booster materials was very extreme terrain, and the camera went a little crazy at times with the turret or tumbling down a slope.

You also have to recognise the triggers of motion sickness and back off when you do. If the view gets too wonky I try to get out of the situation or close my eyes before vertigo takes over.

I used to do some pretty advanced backcountry skiing and I have tumbled through the air and down mountain slopes a lot in real life so maybe Im more used to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123