Thread: Paid Content/Cosmetic Suggestion

Paid Content/Cosmetic Suggestion

Instead of selling cosmetics, how about Frontier sell a cosmetic with a custom mission attached, that mission must be completed to unlock the cosmetic.

You can imagine a number of variations on this, the cosmetic/mission pack could behave as any of the following :

1. The player must complete the custom mission to unlock the cosmetic
    2. The player can optionally complete the custom mission to unlock the cosmetic
    3. If the pack contains multiple items (ie 6 skin pack), some are unlocked immediately, others unlocked as the mission progresses
    4. The player gets the cosmetic immediately but completing the mission adds hidden cosmetic variations, adds a bit of mystery! You could even add unlocks for various outcomes, encouraging players to replay the mission

It would add the following value :

- One complaint people have had is that cosmetics aren't earnable in game, though this isn't strictly earnable in the game as is, it would mean cosmetics would be "effectively" earnable after purchase

- If done well would add some flavour or meaning to a cosmetic. ie that Thargoid hunter skin was earned hunting and killing an infiltrating Thargoid rather than paying money in the shop out of game... or that Raider ship kit that currently has zero context or meaning.

- It can be added under the banner "premium content", this keeps the LEP owners happy, some are now thinking Frontier will not deliver value on their purchase

- It's an additional revenue model than just cosmetics, these missions would not have to apply to all cosmetics

- It gives players a choice on how they view micro-transactions. Is a player paying for content or the cosmetics? Which ever way they want to look at it works. Some people may see a pure skin purchase as just not worth it, not paying for a bloody paintjob! They may purchase given it includes content. Or it may turn out the skin is God awful, but the mission is great

- It's an avenue to adding story/lore into the game, players often complain they don't know what's going on, these would be an opportunity to tell some backstory in a small standalone and visible package

- It allows Frontier to produce content in small packets, rather than large updates which take 6 months to deliver, which I think would work well for Frontier and the players

- You could potentially add new ships this way, might be a bit controversial though

I'm not that up on the various pay models currently being used in games, but I do know Starcraft 2 does something similar. They sell a skin pack, and you unlock that bit by bit by playing, putting paid cosmetics behind a "content wall" seems to work for them. It is possible it auto-unlocks after a while I don't know.

Any thoughts? Good idea, terrible idea?

I spose a concern with this would be the game might become too "pay to play"? But I'd see these things being "optional content" with the game continuing to be updated with its ongoing storyline as it is now. Similar to when you get a series of novels (being the main game), and the author writes a few periphery mini-stories adding background (these cosmetic/content packs). I'd also imagine they would not be every week, one per month say.

Also you could imagine there may be technical difficulties with slotting unique and different mission formats into the current game, so this might not be feasible at this time.

How much more are you willing to pay for these mission/cosmetics over and above the regular cosmetic price? Unless cosmetics currently aren't selling they'd have no incentive to do this unless they could charge more for them.

There are so many MMOs that lock skins behind grinds, I've always wondered why ED never had rank badges (decals) or uniforms for Feds or Imps. I've also wondered why long mission chains culminating in boss fights don't get you badges or skins. Missed opportunity for sure. These things turn grinds into social status bling.

Put standard cosmetics behind a grind wall?

Sorry, but IMHO that sounds like it came straight out of hell. That'd be like purchasing a "Cosmetic - but with added Grind".

Example :
    - Player purchases a Paint Pack for the Beluga
    -> Logs in, only to find he has to complete a LongRange VIP Passenger Mission (2x 22000LY) before being able to apply #4 Paint (?)
    ...insert mental image of a Player driving an axe through his Display - followed by rage-quit post and a Support Ticket for a refund

Earnable in-game = no money or Store involved (i.e. Decals for completing a Community Goal - which is a very nice touch)

When it comes to Missions... keep in mind "Special Missions" were requested years ago already, i.e. for Naval Progression. Or with TipOffs. It never came.
    So expecting Frontier to come up with fun, engaging or even "mysterious Missions" (we technically had those - they were a total and complete failure leading to absolutely nothing) is... how do I put it... It just seems utterly unrealistic.
    And never underestimate what FDev will sell you as "content". Given David's latest Interview, he actually views a new Cosmetic in the Store every week as "Content".
    Even a dead and mostly useless Installation floating somewhere inside a System probably counts more than that.

"Mystery" and ELITE have left a very bad taste throughout the years, so that's better left alone. Likely to negatively affect revenue xD

IMHO they've been milking the cow heavily enough, so if anything taking a step back from brute-force Monetization and actually shifting focus back on improving the Game more often than i.e. once or twice per year would sound far more reasonable.

PS.
    Also remember the FDev Store cosmetics aren't cheap. They're very closely following the "Apple MO" already - as expensive as they could possibly make them and still get away with it.
    I generally don't think FDev / ELITE has a revenue problem. ELITE is doing very good on the monetization front for all I can tell.

I think the name says it all - they are COSMETICS. They don't give you any advantage in the game, in fact you can even opt not to buy any of them and still survive.

As soon as you like cosmetics to gameplay, people will expect said cosmetics to give them something, an edge. After all they not only had to pay real money for it, they then had to go and perform some ingame task to enable it, so why can't it give them some ingame ability as well.

Nope, cosmetics are purely for the vanity factor, nothing more, nothing less.

Let's keep things as is. It's already bad enough that the only way to get a skin with genuine artistic value is to either be loaded and spend hundreds if not thousands on "charity" auctions, or get lucky in giveaways. (Thank the maker I subscribe to magazines!)

No.

Make content for the game we've paid for.

Originally Posted by M00ka View Post (Source)
    I think the name says it all - they are COSMETICS. They don't give you any advantage in the game, in fact you can even opt not to buy any of them and still survive.

As soon as you like cosmetics to gameplay, people will expect said cosmetics to give them something, an edge. After all they not only had to pay real money for it, they then had to go and perform some ingame task to enable it, so why can't it give them some ingame ability as well.

Nope, cosmetics are purely for the vanity factor, nothing more, nothing less.
    This is exactly why none of the cosmetics have any meaning, ie major faction cosmetics.

No cosmetic can ever be a badge of honour because no player ever put in any work to earn it.

Requiring actions in game to earn cosmetics gives cosmetics a value beyond just vanity.

It's like saying medals or stripes are pointless because they don't provide an advantage.

Originally Posted by FalconFly View Post (Source)
    Put standard cosmetics behind a grind wall?

Sorry, but IMHO that sounds like it came straight out of hell. That'd be like purchasing a "Cosmetic - but with added Grind".

Example :
    - Player purchases a Paint Pack for the Beluga
    -> Logs in, only to find he has to complete a LongRange VIP Passenger Mission (2x 22000LY) before being able to apply #4 Paint (?)
    ...insert mental image of a Player driving an axe through his Display - followed by rage-quit post and a Support Ticket for a refund
    If you are going to assume the missions will be pure mindless grind yes sure.

But the point is it's an opportunity to be able to produce small packets of story based and focused content.

So it's not jump 5000 times to unlock a skin, it's a number of missions leading the player down a path, perhaps around some story element of ED, or some lore element where the missions can flesh out the current ED universe.

Add in custom NPC portraits for known characters, bespoke missions with unique handcrafted mission text, unique NPC ships with written mission text and behaviour, add in audio logs. These can be produced on a small scale hopefully with a reasonably quick turnaround.

I personally would like to feel like I've earned a skin in game, of course I want that for free, but that's not how ED is funded. All this really is is you're paying for the cosmetic and getting some related content along with it, content which gives the cosmetic meaning.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Let's keep things as is. It's already bad enough that the only way to get a skin with genuine artistic value is to either be loaded and spend hundreds if not thousands on "charity" auctions, or get lucky in giveaways. (Thank the maker I subscribe to magazines!)
    So let's not provide more avenues to skins with genuine value?