Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To CMDR TRX123

I love mead.
    I love cider.

I have never had Cyser, but it sounds like the sort of thing I would like to know more about

Fruit is only added to mead as a nutrient for the yeast which honey is lacking, hence cysers and malomels. No need if you either buy yeast nutrient or boil a packet of bread yeast for 10 mins to kill it and use that instead as yeast is happily cannibalistic.

Pure meads are better, fruit messes with the flavor and makes it taste like any old honeyed wine.

There was, at one time, a quite unlikely shop at Lulworth Cove in England that sold nothing but "local" wine, i.e made from nettles, blackberries, elderflowers, elderberries, and anything else you could think of. It also did the finest mead that I have ever tasted, a pure, light golden liquid with a delicate taste of honey that probably came from lighter flowers rather than (say) heather, etc.

It's gone now, sadly. I still have a bottle of mead from it, which I can't quite bring myself to open

Originally Posted by Spaceman Si View Post (Source)
    There was, at one time, a quite unlikely shop at Lulworth Cove in England that sold nothing but "local" wine, i.e made from nettles, blackberries, elderflowers, elderberries, and anything else you could think of. It also did the finest mead that I have ever tasted, a pure, light golden liquid with a delicate taste of honey that probably came from lighter flowers rather than (say) heather, etc.

It's gone now, sadly. I still have a bottle of mead from it, which I can't quite bring myself to open
    Make your own, it's easy and delicious. You have to get the sanitation right though, mead goes manky at the slightest impurity.

Blossom honey has a slight flower taste, acacia honey mead taste's like a really good champagne. Heather honey goes crazy escapes all over the place and then turns into vinegar, although that might have been my fault. The clearer the honey the better.

I realise that at this point, the whole thread has gone wildly off-topic, but would you indulge me with some references or instructions on how to make mead, please? I have a feeling I am about to start making some (Especially from Accacia...)

I realise that at this point, the whole thread has gone wildly off-topic, but would you indulge me with some references or instructions on how to make mead, please? I have a feeling I am about to start making some (Especially from Accacia...)
    There's good info and lots of nice recipes here (including cysers and malomel) : https://www.homebrewing.org/How-to-M...d_ep_40-1.html

There's also a bonkers cheap and cheerful method requiring no special equipment here (I don't know how this would turn out) :
    http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/f...ead-making.htm

This batch was so nice I replicate it whenever I have acacia honey
    Acacia Mead
    1 gallon
    3 lbs Rowse Acacia honey
    Half packet boiled Allinsons bread yeast as nutrient (yeast nutrient would be just as good if not better)
    Wilco wine yeast (one packet)
    Mixed 22/3/14
    Bottled 19/5/14
    OG 1.10
    ABV : 13.65 %

The important things are really clear honey, really good cleanliness and patience. Don't be stingy when you syphon ditch the last half inch to get rid of the gruft at the bottom, you don't want it in the drink. Wait until the mead is crystal clear before bottling, push a torch against it and make sure there's no "lightsaber" and check you can read a newspaper through it.

Edit : fixed ancient broken links

What happened to TRX123? Is he all right, or do we need to send Bazmeson to look for him?

I'll send him some mead.

Originally Posted by Pville_Piper View Post (Source)
    It wasn't homebrew or home made wine.
    Well if you brewed it at home, then yes it was. It could have been ambrosia to make Dionysus himself weep, but it's still homebrew. Just damned good homebrew.

Originally Posted by taotoo View Post (Source)
    Technically a trual what with you having a fighter and all.
    Well, three of a kind is called a prial in brag.

I'll send him some mead.
    Do you guys drink heather ale?

Originally Posted by Pville_Piper View Post (Source)
    Well, actually, my fighter did most of the work... I pretty much fumbled my way to the finish.
    This is why they need to be splattered with the nerf bat.

Unlimited HPV and 99.9% accurate.

Get outta here, aimbots should not be effective in a twitch based game. Turrets and gimbals get away with it because they have reduced damage. SLF's seriously need the same treatment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123