Thread: ATR and ship murder

ATR and ship murder

Ok, something needs to be done about how laughable ATR is and/or how powerful murder is as a BGS tool.

Let's tackle ATR first. It's a joke. I personally know of one commander who has over 100 million in murder bounties in one system. I've seen reports of some people with a LOT more than that, and yet there is still virtually no consequence. Sure they might have to dock somewhere else for a little while, but it's not like ATR is actually fixing anything. ATR needs to be a real threat for it to be effective.

Additionally, cold-blooded murder of NPC ships has way too large of an effect on the BGS. Why? because each kill counts as one transaction. One person killing 20-40 ships doesn't take much time, kill a ship and then kill system security when they show up. It takes significantly longer to counter those kills. Say a person kills 20 ships, they could easily be done with that in 30 minutes or less, but one person attempting to counter that via bounty hunting would need to make 20 runs with around 500k, and that takes a lot longer.

Combine the two and you've got where we are at in game. One person doing 40-ish kills is a match for 500-600 bounties claimed. The balance is off on that, and it needs to be changed.

TL;DR: ATR needs a buff and/or ship murder needs a nerf

Alternatively, anyone with more than 1 million in bounties against Commanders receives an automatic go-slow FSD upgrade that flies no faster than speed of light .... anywhere .... all of the time.

Much more effective than any ATR.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Alternatively, anyone with more than 1 million in bounties against Commanders receives an automatic go-slow FSD upgrade that flies no faster than speed of light .... anywhere .... all of the time.

Actually the bigger issue is the ability to go on a murder spree against NPCs with no adverse consequences for the murderer. Ship murder has a disproportionately large BGS effect compared to everything else.

My question is - How do I get rid of the bounty for murder?
    I have a T-10 with beam lasers. I was very tired, and wasn't as careful as I should. Now what? When I go to the station where the Minor Faction is, there is no ability to pay the fine. I'm not playing the open version. Just against the computer. From what I've read, after 7 days the bounty converts. Does that mean I have to wait until a week from today?

Originally Posted by appnzllr View Post (Source)
    My question is - How do I get rid of the bounty for murder?
    I have a T-10 with beam lasers. I was very tired, and wasn't as careful as I should. Now what? When I go to the station where the Minor Faction is, there is no ability to pay the fine. I'm not playing the open version. Just against the computer. From what I've read, after 7 days the bounty converts. Does that mean I have to wait until a week from today?
    Wow, no not since forever. You have to wait 2 hours of in game time for your noriety to go away. Then go to an Interstellar factors nd pay it off.

Yeah, nah.

Sure, an Elite combat pilot in a min/max engineered corvette can be a total death machine in a CZ or CNB or Haz Res or working a Merit Snipe or Assassination Missions or Murder.

But, you know, most folks aren't like that.
    Elite combat pilots who work the BGS are a pretty small minority of players.

My combat rank is Master.
    And yet I take a rebuy off NPCs on a regular basis.

Really.

ATR is totally punishing for me. When I get up any notoriety (and it happens), my game turns into a sweaty nightmare.
    I lost several days of explo data because I got a fine (bounty/ parking ticket whatever) getting stuck the toast rack, and then clearing that turned into a two week debacle.

Here's me coming back from th recent mining CG with a couple hundred tons of Metals to build a new Alliance Station on the road to the California Nebula:
    Warning - it's not pretty:

I personally know of one commander who has over 100 million in murder bounties in one system.
    Not difficult with the way murder bounties work.

Personally, I think the old system had some merit in this regard.

With that, you'd get BHers coming after you for the duration of your bounty. The bigger the bounty, the more frequent they were.
    That, at least, meant you couldn't, say, spend a night murder-hoboing and then just scoot off and spend a couple of days in Robigo farming credits.

Said it before but I think it'd be better if criminal stuff worked more like real life.

If you commit a crime and then escape in a car, the cops' first course of action is to look for the car.
    If the car gets spotted, the cops will be coming after it.
    The cops will also be trying to identify the driver of the car too, either via CCTV, traffic cameras or via the car's registration.
    Once they succeed in that, they'll be coming after you, at home, at work or wherever you are, regardless of whether you're still driving the getaway car or not.

Should be a similar thing in ED.

You commit a crime and it's initially your ship the cops come after.
    If you're in SC and you can see a cop-ship on your scanner, it should be able to see you too, know your ship matches the description of a criminal's ship and come to check you out.
    If you can get back to a station and swap ships, the heat will be off until you fly the Wanted ship again.
    If you do get scanned then the cops will know it's you flying the ship and after that they'll come after you regardless of whether you swap ships or not.
    The response would be proportional to the crime committed and the pursuit would simply never end although the urgency might reduce after, say, a couple of weeks.

Course, that alone would be a bit harsh on outlaws.
    I'd also like to see the galaxy divided up (at least by superpowers and possibly sub-divided by factions too) into sectors so you could "escape across the border" to avoid pursuit.
    You'd then be able to travel back into a sector where you're wanted but you would risk attack if you were recognised.
    All this would also only apply in high/medium security systems.
    In low security systems things would be more, erm, "relaxed" and in anarchies an outlaw would be safe from pursuit.

Originally Posted by thirstyfish View Post (Source)
    TL;DR: ATR needs a buff and/or ship murder needs a nerf
    ATR needs a loadout nerf and an AI + persistence buff.

NPCs in general shouldn't allow themselves to be slaughtered wholesale. If they start dropping like flies, the system should start looking like a ghost town as the population lays low or temporarily relocates.

The BGS should probably stop distinguishing transactions and look at net effect. Real population and economic models would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Much more effective at what? ATR isn't there to stop CMDRs from blowing up other CMDR vessels, nor is inter-CMDR hostility the main issue the OP is talking about.