Thread: Animation Suggestions & trailer note

Animation Suggestions & trailer note

This will also be put on wishlist***

So i just rewatched the launch trailer people asked if we over hyped and a lot was said about what the trailer had in it that isnt in the game. The only thing i just notcied that i wanted to point out and ASK FOR was the trailer has the JP Film electric fences in it!!!! The concrete wall at the bottom with the electric wires/cables above the concrete barrier at the bottom!!!! Why isnt this in the game? Since its in the trailer you know someone thought of it at some point. Can we please get that type of fence in an update please???

I've ranted a lot about this game simply needing more dinosaur animations and behaviors to make the game great. The game's replayability will come from the dinosaurs feeling alive and each species being unique. New buildings and decorations is only putting lipstick on a pig. If the dinosaurs arent ALL given A LOT of love this game will still be a waste of time. So here are my suggestions for species unique animations:

Apatasaurus and Diplodicus: tail whip animations to kill carnivores with if they get too close to them

Brachi/Mamechia: stand on hind legs and stomp with front to kill carnivores with if they get too close

Velociraptors: (MUST BE HOUSED IN ELECTRIFIED FENCES UNTIL TALLER FENCES OR ROOFED PADDOCKS ARE ADDED INTO THE GAME) Raptors test fences for power, if power is off or after repeated testing the fence shorts out, the raptors climb out of the fence like in JPOG

Velociraptor: pack hunting- up to 3 or 4 raptors at a time pouncing onto prey; 1 raptor cuts off prey by getting in front of it, after prey stands off with raptor in front of it the other raptors pounce onto it from the side. (When this is implimented, solo kills only occur on goats and small herbs/carns. Anything bigger then a struth/gali/etc requires the raptors to socialize first, then they go into a hunt mode to perform the pack tactics described)

Deinonychus: Pack hunting- pounce and pile on like velociraptors but they dont use the 1 in front and side attack. Instead they pounce and kick off, weakening the animal, once it gets low enough on health 1 Deinonychus goes for the throat while the others latch onto the legs.

Dilophosaurus: pack hunting- surround their prey and commence to spit venom. The prey gets disoriented and eventually falls down paralyzed, then the dilos move in to finish it off and eat at their leisure.

Giganotosaurus: pack hunting- (pack for sauropods only) gigas run in from the sides and take quick bites to bleed out prey. Once sauropod gets to low health it collapses like in an indominous attack. Then gigas go for throat to finish sauropod off before eating. Since Gigas specialize in hunting sauropods they could avoid the new sauropod attacks unlike the other carnivores.

Allosaurus: pack hunting- (1st allow 2 or more allows in social group) Allos hunting in pairs, 1 goes for throat while 2nd pounces on the side to simultaneously knock the prey over.

Ceratosaurus: pack hunting- 1 to 2 cerats attack legs and bring a prey down for the 2nd or 3rd cerat to go for throat and finish prey off once on the ground.

Triceratops/Toro/Pentra/etc: all animals in this genius socialize/herd dominance butt heads and rut. (Pretty simple) it should also be possible for this to be done cross species perhaps if 2 different species attempt to eat from same feeder at the same time to chase 1 species off.

Pachys/etc: socialize/play: ram heads. Could give us multiple results animations- shake cob webs out of head, 1 falls on its butt or side, 1 walks away on spaghetti legs afterward, 1 spaghetti legs and then decides to lay down to rest

T-Rex: different hunting animations- the current neck throwing slam is good keep it for some smaller species like Paras, tsitaos, etc..; for edmontosaurus which is a bit bigger a simple neck grab which takes the prey down where it's bitten and no throwing slam; on smaller horned species like sinoceratops that doesnt have offensive horns no fight sequence instead Rex bites it in the back picks it up and rag doll shakes it then drops it to the ground then with it weakened and all but dead it goes for the throat to finish it off; when hunting Trikes and other horned of compareable size it goes into fight sequence, its fight winning animation becomes trike/etc attempt to charge which Rex side steps and bites the trikes back (cant rag doll like smaller ones) after back bite head butts the trikes side to knock it over then it goes for the throat to finish it off.

Spinosaurus: hunting kills- Spino uses arms. Delete Rex neck slam from arsenal. Spino bites back of throat/head then uses his arms to break it's prey's neck. For horned foes- no fight for smaller ones, it uses it's arms to flip them over and go for neck; for larger horned it goes into fight mode- its kill animation is when trike charges it grabs horns/head with it's hands and violently flips the trike onto it's back to go for throat.

Velociraptors: hunting- they will hunt stronger prey like trikes- smaller horned they kill with ease using new pack animations; larger horned like trikes if they have high aggressive genes can counter pack attacks and impale raptors with their horns, raptors can still succeed in killing a trike but there is a possibility of failure. Raptors will also attempt to hunt ankys and other armored dinos- they will not succeed- after a pack has attempted once they will learn they cant take that species down and not hunt it again (new raptors will try, old will not). An Anky will use it's tail and kill at least 1 raptor in a hunt attempt but other armored wont kill a raptor they will just be shaken off and give up. (Deinonychus can have same interactions against horned and armored- 1 difference would be trikes can catch velios in mid pounce and impale, for deinos trikes can turn and trample gore deinos, sometimes just flattening them other times flipping them into the air to come crashing down dead.

Triceratops/large horned: species specific impales when they win fights or just Random win fight kills sometimes impaling through the head, sometimes into side and chest, sometimes against smaller carnivores they will impale and then go up to their head and start rearing up and stomping on them.

Sucho: hunting- Suchos will go for throat and then croc roll while hooked onto animals throat breaking their neck. (In a perfect world they would be swimmers and drag prey underwater but we prob wont get that far in this game)

Baryonx: like sucho they will croc roll, but they will go for preys legs and croc roll their legs breaking them....then when the prey cant flea they will attack throat to finish them off. (This is for larger prey, galis and such keep their current animations)

Camarasaurus: use their neck and upper torso to ram carnivores knocking them down and then trampling them to kill them if they get too close.

Velociraptors/Deinonychus: will attack rexes and other large carnivores if their comfort level is down or if a packmate is attacked. Will pounce which will lead to rex grabs off body and throws and slams. Spino and indominus can use arms to pull them off and eat them whole.

Sleeping: for all. Certain herd species could have sleep animations where they sleep curled up next to each other or partially leaning against each other.

All carnivores: carns that are social should have a play fight/tussel animations with each other as part of their social. Velociraptors could be more brutal biting limbs and such reducing small amounts of health after social fighting.

Limp: limping animations after a dinosaur has had a fight and is on low health.

Herding defense: certain herbivores should line up to defend each other from large carnivores to cause a carnivore to back off and not attack. Horned species and sauropods should do this.

Stegosaurus defense: how about when they win a fight the carnivores attempts to bite their back but cant do damage because of the plates on the back, then we get the spiked tail swipe that could impale head or chest cavity. If they attack chest cavity the carn could stagger a few steps away before collapsing. Stego defense against raptors would allow him to impale pouncers with his tail as well as trample ratoprs he flung off of his side and back.

Rex/large carnivores: ambush hunting- right now large carns cant catch small ones.. With this they could crouch low while at the edge of tree line (like in the isle) and wait for a small carn to get close. Then spring out and catch one. This could also be used to hunt small herbivores as well to add different animations for the same type of prey.

Im sure I'll think of more right after i post this and im sure others will add their own animations they want to see. But this is a good start to making these dinosaurs something we want to see and play with for years.

I love this suggestions. They should add to the game in the future.

We need animals, not robots.

I have a lot to say on this topic. At the moment, I say YES! Thank you for your comprehensive list of examples. I thought I was the only stubborn one hoping to see much deeper interaction animations. Keep in mind though, the things we’re asking for are not easy stuffs and may take a lot of work.

I only half-way through your list at the moment but I particularly like the pack hunting of raptors as you mentioned.

First off, below are the quotes to support your idea.

Owen Grady:” Velociraptors are pack hunters. They like to herd the animal into a kill zone.”
    Dr.Alan Grant:” You stare at him, and he just stares right back. And that's when the attack comes. Not from the front, but from the side.”

For a more advanced version, the trap shouldn’t only be an ambush trapping, it can involves a chasing as well - where a raptor chase its prey into a designated kill zone where another one is waiting at the front, and two or more are going for sneaky strikes from the sides.

The interaction animation involved is highly implementable with the current system as all the parties involved are pretty static in motions once the trap is set.

If I can only pick one among the great list you’ve posted, this is no doubt the first one we all like to see.

Honestly giving more love to the dinos currently present would be better than just putting in more and more functionally identical dinos as DLC. It's the second thing on the list of things that would get me interested in this game again, behind (obviously) proper sized maps.

The other day I was thinking how cool it would be for Ceratopsians to flush blood into frills for display and intimidation. Chasmos, Toros and Pentas would look terrific!!! Same colors as they are but just suddenly more vibrant and bright. Same with Stegos, Kentro, Chunkings and Huayangos maybe. I'd love to see four legged dinos bully each other and push, like cows and bisons. No clipping would help.. for the sleeping, I think most members of a species should rest at the same time, again like herd mammals or birds, and have a watch.

Originally Posted by Flint2025 View Post (Source)
    ...this game will still be a waste of time. ...
    Was more or less with you up until this point when I realized reading the rest of your post would be a waste of my time. Better luck next time.

Originally Posted by jessydion View Post (Source)
    The other day I was thinking how cool it would be for Ceratopsians to flush blood into frills for display and intimidation. Chasmos, Toros and Pentas would look terrific!!! Same colors as they are but just suddenly more vibrant and bright. Same with Stegos, Kentro, Chunkings and Huayangos maybe. I'd love to see four legged dinos bully each other and push, like cows and bisons. No clipping would help.. for the sleeping, I think most members of a species should rest at the same time, again like herd mammals or birds, and have a watch.
    That would be really cool! I'd love to see that too.

Speaking of color displays...... Can the Indominus get some love and get his camo/invisibility ability??? It would be great to have him go Predator and basically disappear, the only way to find him to go to the map and find his tracker. Leading to another possibility of having the Indominus remove his tracker. The easy thing would be for him to simply disappear from the map if he escapes and they can say his tracker was removed, for us to actually find him by sight, maybe even require us to tranq him ourself. But even cooler would be if he went Predator and removed his tracker while still caged. They could send us on a mission to investigate the paddock because he isn't showing up.... Then it's up to you to open the gates and attempt to locate him inside his paddock. If you plan ahead and bring in the chopper you could tranq him before he escapes but if you don't he could dash through the open gate or something.

Finally finish reading this incredible list!

If the Devs ever thinking about improving varieties of unique animations and running short of ideas, this is definitely the place to look to. Most of the ideas are well thought out, logical, and extremely thrilling to watch as Jurassic fans. I’m not so sure of accuracy though as I’m not a biologist myself.

I will add a few more ideas here (easily implementable; conceptually rather than specific ones), that are inspired by OP’s post, in the future.

Adding a Layer of Unpredictability to ALL Interaction Animations

Scripted interaction animation has its flaws. One of them is it feels robotic as the entire sequence and outcome can be predicted right from the beginning.

Even with the current system of scripted interaction animation, I figure things can be made much more exciting, complicated, and unpredicted by cutting the existing animations midway and extending it with different outcomes.
    This concept can be applied to all sets of interaction animation – from hunting to turn-based fighting, to guest killings and even to group interaction animations.

1) Let me first start with turn-based fighting. Currently, when a Trike fights a Rex, there are only two sets of animation involved – Rex biting the trike and the trike charging the Rex. Picking the Rex biting the trike as a specific example. What I’m suggesting is – what if we keep the exact initial phase of attacking sequences but somewhere at the middle, the outcomes are split into three possibilities:-

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – Rex successfully bites the trike.
    b) The trike manages to perform a quick dodge and stay there for the next round.
    c) The trike manages to perform a quick dodge in a way to position itself for a quick counter charge in succession.

The same and reciprocal applies to trike charging the Rex.

The entire point of my idea is NOT ONLY to include 3 variations as in the concept of Rock, Paper, and Scissor as suggested months earlier by Deviljho but ALSO to add a layer of unpredictability to it. You can never judge the outcomes solely by the initial sequences as they are essentially the very same. I believe this also saves the Devs a lot of work as they can reuse the existing ones while adding additional sequences to it (which by itself can also reuse many parts of the existing sets).

2) For Dino hunting animations. When a carnivore goes for an herbivore, additional outcomes of herbivore successfully dodges or successfully shakes off a bite or even a counter ramming can be added. This essentially gives the running herbivores a chance to defend themselves. Specifically:-

i) A large carnivore hunting a large herbivore

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – neck swing-slamming the herbi.
    b) The Herbi dodges when the carnivore attempts for a bite and then ramming it off-course. The carnivore will be likely injured and gives up its hunting.
    c) The carnivore’s bite is successful but the Herbi manages to shake it off, likely injured but able to continue running.

ii) A large carnivore hunting a small herbivore

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – where the carnivore goes for a bite down, followed by a ragdoll-shaking to death.
    b) The little herbi manages to endure the first bite, gets up quickly and escape. Seriously injured of course.

iii) A small carnivore hunting a large herbivore

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – A carnivore jump, lash on, and bites the large herbi’s throat to bring it down.
    b) While the carnivore is in mid-air, the herbivore dodge in a way to position itself for a subsequent ramming some point during the mid-way landing. The carnivore will ended being completely knocked out to a mile away. This causes serious injury to it and forcing it to give up.
    c) The Carnivore successfully land on the herbi, try to go for a throat bite (as the original sequence) but the herbi manages to shake it off just in time.

iv) A small carnivore hunting a small herbivore

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – carnivore jump and land on the herbi for a finishing touch.
    b) The carnivore landing is imperfect and the little herbi manages to shake it off and keep running.

3) Same for the guess killing animations, gives the guests a chance to escape and survive. Specifically:-

i) When a small carnivore goes for a guest

a) The exact ending sequences as the original – the guest trip down, the carnivore jumps and lash on to him/her for a finishing bite.
    b) The guest trip down but manages to stand back up at the last moment to which the carnivore misses its landing. The guest then do a quick turn and escape while the carnivore is on the floor – similar to the JP kitchen scene of little Timmy.

ii) When a large carnivore goes for a guest

a) The exact ending sequence as the original – the guest trip down, the carnivore roars at him/her before the finishing grabbing bite.
    b) The guest trip down. The carnivore roars at him/her. At this time, another heroic guest step up, distract the carnivore to go for him/her instead. Similar to the announcement trailer. But please….that ended up sadly, this time, please make him/her outrun the carnivore, he/she deserves it!

Having just mentioned the involvement of an additional participator in an interaction animation, this leads me to suggest a way to implement group interaction animation.

4) Group interaction is extremely difficult to implement within the realm of scripted animation. However, I figures this can be done by using the same concept of cutting and extending the existing animations with different outcomes.

For the case of heroic savior just mentioned, the second guest is NOT to be involved in the initial sequences. During that moment, he/she is just another guest running around. At real time, the animation in such cases are split into two parts:-

I) The guest trip down, the carnivore approaches and roars.

IIa) The killing of the guest.
    Iib) The heroic savior sequences.

By the time Animation I kicks starts, an algorithm is ran to decide if the guest will die or not. If he/she is going to die, I is followed immediately by IIa. If otherwise, another algorithm is ran to search for nearby guests and makes he/she to walk into position, preparing to kick starts IIb.

This method can be applied to any hunting / fighting animations as well. The other Dino simply walk/run into position, if time is there to spare, it simply stares at the scene waiting to pounce in.

To sum things up, adding a layer to scripted animation via splitting outcomes is way to go. By doing this, not only variations is increased, it is increased in such a way to give a sense of unpredictability. The next time you watch a raptor pouncing a Parasaurolophus, you better sit still as you may be fooled if you assume the jumping and lashing will always lead to death.

Thank You for reading and listening. I will put this into the wish list as well.

I love the different outcomes idea! That's something that's a lot easier that the devs could do. An that really helps fix the main problem of the dinosaurs being robotic and boring. If there's a chance a herbivore will get away, or the fight will play out differently each time it's enough to keep you interested in what's going on. It hearkens back to what made JPOG so good, there was no gene trait altering, you weren't show attack and defense stats...…..sometimes a Rex would win, sometimes the Trike would win. It had some random chance to it. The first 7 or 8 times I saw 1 species vs another it ended the same way, then when you see the fight go the complete opposite way and the Trike impales the Rex out of nowhere you get blown away and your like whoa what just happened that was amazing! I really want to see JWE get to that level.

Just imagine the Devs add animations without telling us... lets say they allow us to Tranq dinos from the Ranger Jeeps like people have asked to do.... Okay, now lets say your in a Jeep your driving up to tranq and escaped raptor and the raptor happens to be close to a building and the raptor jumps/climbs onto the roof of the building to get away from the Ranger Jeep! Your mind is gonna get blown!!!!!!!!! LIKE WHAT JUST HAPPENED OMG THAT IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!! AGHHHH Those are the kinds of unexpected things I want to see in this game. I want to be able to spend hours watching 1 specific dinosaur and feel like im watching a Walking With Dinosaurs episode.