Thread: [Video] Elite tips : Engineering

[Video] Elite tips : Engineering

VIDEO HERE

To appease those angry forum-dads I'll spoil at least the main points of the video in a written form....as if that makes something anymore valid..oh well =}

#1 - Engineer FSD 1st
    #2 - recommended 3rd party tools (watch if you want to know which ones)
    #3 - Unlocking commodity sharing
    #4 - Mid-combat material collection
    #5 - Dav's hope & co
    #6 - recommended mod #1
    #7 - recommended mod #2
    #8 - recommended against

You forgot about blueprint pinning. Especially great for the core internals and to avoid drudging down to Palin for the DD5. Just pin it, do the experimental at Farseer and then finish the grade 5 at a station remotely.

And material traders. While the exchange rates may make your toenails roll up, they are great for normalizing your inventory. Especially when you are collecting manufactured materials at a RES site. I have no compunctions to trade 36 compound shielding for, say improvised components. Trading material you commonly get for material that are a pain to acquire is the main benefit of material traders.

Speaking of inventory. I only ever keep 50 of any material grade 4 and lower, with the exception of refined focus crystals and anything I may need for rearming weapons in the field. Any surplus gets traded around up and/or across to grade 5s I may need.

Pro tip for raw materials are tourism sites with volcanic activity. Needle crystals contain the g5 material of the planetary body, so you can quickly gather what specific thing you are looking for.

And last but not least: There is no need other than perfectionism (or ocd) to maximize the g5 roll. Five rolls should get you between 75 and 90% of the maximum. You will need 3-5 more rolls for that piddly rest. Especially obnoxious when you are missing 0.1%, roll and nothing changes at all. But if you want your mods "finished" calculate 10 rolls per module and you should be good with some spare parts.

Originally Posted by Vardaugas View Post (Source)
    You forgot about blueprint pinning. Especially great for the core internals and to avoid drudging down to Palin for the DD5. Just pin it, do the experimental at Farseer and then finish the grade 5 at a station remotely.

And material traders. While the exchange rates may make your toenails roll up, they are great for normalizing your inventory. Especially when you are collecting manufactured materials at a RES site. I have no compunctions to trade 36 compound shielding for, say improvised components. Trading material you commonly get for material that are a pain to acquire is the main benefit of material traders.

Speaking of inventory. I only ever keep 50 of any material grade 4 and lower, with the exception of refined focus crystals and anything I may need for rearming weapons in the field. Any surplus gets traded around up and/or across to grade 5s I may need.

Pro tip for raw materials are tourism sites with volcanic activity. Needle crystals contain the g5 material of the planetary body, so you can quickly gather what specific thing you are looking for.

And last but not least: There is no need other than perfectionism (or ocd) to maximize the g5 roll. Five rolls should get you between 75 and 90% of the maximum. You will need 3-5 more rolls for that piddly rest. Especially obnoxious when you are missing 0.1%, roll and nothing changes at all. But if you want your mods "finished" calculate 10 rolls per module and you should be good with some spare parts.
    Oh neat, I will include infor on some of that for the next time! Thanks !

Agreed on the pinning.
    Since some mods are carried by more than one engineer you can even pin more than one per module.
    I have both G5 increased range and armored FSDs, plus (G4) overcharged and (G5) armored powerplant blueprints pinned, for example.