Thread: Permits

Permits

Hello Commanders,
    I've been playing EDh from the very beginning and there is one thing I have never understood and that is being, what is the reason for permit systems? I have unlocked a good deal of systems but I have failed to understand what the reason for unlocking these systems and what do they have to offer?
    Thank you for any information concerning this inquiry.
    o7 Commanders.

Sol and Achenar are the superpower capitals so they're just probably keeping riff-raff out. Some of them have rares. I think most are locked for some lore reason, like being isolationist religious orders.

The game has permits because the earlier Elite games had permits. However, there weren't many of them back then (only three, I seem to recall) and getting them was pretty lame. So with ED, they decided to add a lot more permits, and give them some actual benefits.

In ED, not every permit system has a known benefit; you can perhaps think of the "empty" permit systems as being "reserved for future content".

Sol, Achenar and Alioth all have permits because they're the superpower capitals. The superpower capitals have permits because they wanted to put a permit-lock on Earth (otherwise, they'd probably have too many players saying "I've been to Earth, now I can stop playing", and so they put a rank-locked permit on Sol. The Achenar and Alioth permits are just there for "balance".

Some permit-locked systems have Engineers in them, like Sirius. You need to get those permits in order to min-max your Engineering.

Some permit-locked systems have Rare Goods for sale, like Jotun.

Some permit-locked systems have special discounts on ships and modules at certain stations (like the 10% discount on all ships at Founders World, or the 20% discount on the Orca and AspX in Alioth).

Before engineers, players used to say that the Sirius permit wasn't any use.

Don't get me started on the Sirius one

I've got the faction I need for Qwent but after a quick squizz at Inara, he appatently wants modular terminals. So, missions. One gave me 11. Great start! Found one for 3. Ho hum. The another popped up at "home" for 10 more! Yay! Zoomed off to Hume retreat and when I landed, I realised I hadn't accepted the mission. I somehow managed not to accept it again. Thuffrin thuggertath. Luckily, the mission was still up and I've got all 24 now.

He wanrs what? 25???

/cry

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Don't get me started on the Sirius one

I've got the faction I need for Qwent but after a quick squizz at Inara, he appatently wants modular terminals. So, missions. One gave me 11. Great start! Found one for 3. Ho hum. The another popped up at "home" for 10 more! Yay! Zoomed off to Hume retreat and when I landed, I realised I hadn't accepted the mission. I somehow managed not to accept it again. Thuffrin thuggertath. Luckily, the mission was still up and I've got all 24 now.

He wanrs what? 25???

/cry
    Well at least you can hand them in as you find them so you don't loose the lot when things go boom.

Like the lady said there is always a boom tomorrow.