Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567
Results 91 to 99 of 99

Thread: Space Legs - What I expect at least at first

  1. #91
    'space legs' could be a good adition , i dont deny it, but in the previous elite games there was none of that and the games were still good and very complete. I think elite dangerous do well in the various menus found at a station; you can load and unload cargo and get mission and you dont need to get out of your ship... me think its just a feature that will do the same as having a menu to interact

  2. #92
    Imho, there are two steps ED needs to take first. No. 1 is to put crew in the co-pilot seats in multi-crew ships. The tools are already there for this one and I hope it comes soon. Being able to Holo-crew like we do to holo-me would also be nice.

    No. 2 is to be able to walk through your ships. I'm willing to take small steps first. Get those two right then move on to roaming around the interior of a space port or planetary base or be able to EVA on a planet or float outside an orbital station.

  3. #93
    Part of the problem is that they added things like module repair, and now even hull repair limpets, and other things like shield cell banks, to the normal ship gameplay.

    That's all stuff an engineer, (as crew) or yourself, doing EVA or something, could do.

  4. #94
    Tl:dr. Space legs?!? ? No.

  5. #95
    Originally Posted by Hank View Post (Source)
    Imho, there are two steps ED needs to take first. No. 1 is to put crew in the co-pilot seats in multi-crew ships. The tools are already there for this one and I hope it comes soon. Being able to Holo-crew like we do to holo-me would also be nice.

    No. 2 is to be able to walk through your ships. I'm willing to take small steps first. Get those two right then move on to roaming around the interior of a space port or planetary base or be able to EVA on a planet or float outside an orbital station.
    The key reason multicrew was basically a waste of time was due to years of lack of investment in the core game play. Instead we've all too often had shallow bolt on after shallow bolt on.

    Until FD actually aim higher and put some game mechanics of real depth and interest into the game I don't see much purpose for anything multi crew related, and any indication that WASD can be a worthwhile development.

  6. #96
    Originally Posted by NeilF View Post (Source)
    The key reason multicrew was basically a waste of time was due to years of lack of investment in the core game play. Instead we've all too often had shallow bolt on after shallow bolt on.

    Until FD actually aim higher and put some game mechanics of real depth and interest into the game I don't see much purpose for anything multi crew related, and any indication that WASD can be a worthwhile development.
    Unfortunately I agree really. They put a bunch of gameplay into the base game, and designed the hell out of it. Then never really moved forward from there. Sure, they added bits and bobs and extensions to things, and tweaked stuff, but they didn't create any truly new mechanics really.

  7. #97
    Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    But what use are legs really? If we had them for manually going to the contacts we have they would be wasted, as why? Its pointless (albeit eye candytastic) duplication that will be done a few times and then people go back to the menu as its quicker. Its a bit like the helmet flip in Star Citizen, looks good for the first three times you see it, then its 'eh' then its 'skip'.

    Inside stations are utterly massive- it will take you aggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeessss to even walk past your own docking pad for large ships. You'd have to have some sort of time jump like we have with cargo loading so that you appear away from your ship and are at the places that have a use. Thats not to say you cannot wander, but its like wandering around a few football pitches- how quickly will people go 'I'm fed up of walking?'

    I would love a Mass Effect style station interior / surface, but I would like it to add to what we have and not duplicate it unnecessarily.
    Yes, stations are massive but most of the station would be filled with living areas, private offices, machinery and storage areas, most probably not accessible to us. Therefore the obvious solution to the "time jump" you mentioned would be turbo-lifts, you don't need to walk too far to get to it, you get in, you select an area to go to and you are deposited near the part of the station that has the services you are looking for.

  8. #98
    Originally Posted by Brian of Ardagh View Post (Source)
    Yes, stations are massive but most of the station would be filled with living areas, private offices, machinery and storage areas, most probably not accessible to us. Therefore the obvious solution to the "time jump" you mentioned would be turbo-lifts, you don't need to walk too far to get to it, you get in, you select an area to go to and you are deposited near the part of the station that has the services you are looking for.
    Therein lies the problem though. Yes I think everyone agrees that the stations are massive, but some want everything modelled so they can go to everything. They want to be able to run around on the active landing pads, they want to be able to go into any building they see. For what purpose I have no damn idea though.

    I still think it would be foolhardy for FD to allow players to roam the landing pads, it is just asking for griefing and accidents - which will result in more rage. As for what you can interact with inside of a station, lets try to keep it realistic, simply and most of all worthwhile, i.e. have some reason, some aspect of gameplay to go there, not just cos well cos.

  9. #99
    Originally Posted by M00ka View Post (Source)
    Okay, you want the entire interior of all the stations mapped, each to their own. So what will be the benefits of this, what do you think you will do in these miles and miles of corridors, walkways and the like?
    Still thinking ..

    Well, it doesn't have to cover the entire inside of station. Keeping it smaller would be for the best.
    The most important is that the layout is random for each station. I would hate to arrive at the exact same interior at every station(X Rebirth style).

    Ok before I continue. Everything involving the ship should be optional for space legs. All of that should be available in menus also.

    Now, what the heck do you do at a space station.. Well there is the bar, lol
    -Perhaps they could add vendors for everything that has to do with space legs in different shops you can walk up to.
    Hand weapons shop, combat suits, eva equipment, clothing stores, etc.
    -Then they could have certain random npcs you encounter that have tasks to do involving space legs gameplay.
    Like, a guy sends you to search his abandoned wrecked ship for a special item, that kind of tasks.
    -The black market should be moved from menus to requiring space legs. It is perfect for that. Find your contact from the menus and go talk to him in the station.
    -Other than that you can walk around and explore the station and look at the different ships landing and people running about. Perhaps even meet a player.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567