Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Space Legs - What I expect at least at first

Haven't read the 6 pages, but what I'd like to see, before space-legs, is (NPC) people doing stuff in the places I can see into when I'm docked at a station - sitting at desks, controlling air traffic, making coffee, driving the trucks/tractors that go round the roads/tracks, looking out the window at me etc.

Just make me feel like it's a real place with real people, rather than just me and whatever other pilots happen to be in their ships.

Personally, I don't see a need for space-legs - I can do everything I need from the ship, and it's efficient time-wise. Although it would be fun to be able to walk round in my ship, there's no real need for it, for me, and I wouldn't do it much after the first "Ooh Wow Spacelegs" has worn off...

New game-play elements notwithstanding, of course...

The obvious comparison (been made) is merging Mass Effect with Elite; at least in stations. But... I'm just not sure why it'd be any use, or fun after the first couple of times. Eve did it for a while, then removed it (I haven't been in in ages so I assume it's still gone) and SC's is just a case of "get up, go downstairs, get ship, walk to ship, get in..." it takes AGES and I just want to fly a ship. NMS is the opposite of Elite - it's a ground-based game with some space-ship bits; I don't want that either.

I would focus, personally, on atmospherics and basic QoL stuff - legs are a "nice idea" but one that I struggle with. The mechanic I'd like isn't "legs" - no gravity onboard means floating about, which is fine (but try playing something like Adr1ft in VR... wow) and could, and should, be used for EVA work ONLY - fix the ship, collect a thing, investigate a hulk... keep it there for a while, see if there is a "game" around the thing (and I've spoken with the Devs and they struggle with the idea of what content looks like themselves, so if we do too, then what's the point?) THEN expand it.

After atmospheres.

And the Exploration update...

And the mining stuff....

Originally Posted by M00ka View Post (Source)
    Space Legs, ah the two dreaded words of the forum. Well we haven't had a good SL post for a few days so I decided to 'guess' what I think FD will eventually delivery, at least in the first iteration. So here goes

Your ship: Finally, all those complaining of deep vein thrombosis can finally stand and even do a highland jig around their cockpit. Not that there will be a lot to do, but I am sure the forums will be full of wonderful selfies of Commanders standing next to everything. Apart from that, I would expect a Commander's room, with a bed, toilet/shower (hey got to be realistic here). Additionally I would like to see a display cabinet (more on that later), and a wardrobe with your uniforms for Federation and Empire showing your rank. But that is about it for furniture. Next you would see the exit door, this would have to be a standard double door airlock to make sense. About the only other thing I might see is a hatch to enter the SRV bay, naturally can only be operated if you have one fitted. But what about the rest of the interior you say. Well I say it will be too hard for FD to be able to render the cargo space of each ship as every ship is probably configured differently, trying to make sure that the interior of every ship is exactly how the player has configured it is probably asking too much. And let us please be honest, how many times will you actually look at a cargo bay, can we be realistic here! I don't think we need apartments or rooms on stations, remember our ships are our homes, simple as that.

When docked: Whether it be at a Station, and Outpost or a Settlement, FD has to make some hard and fast rules. For me it would make sense if you can only leave your ship when it has been lowered into a hangar. We don't see NPCs running around the landing pads now, so why should things change. And we all know what would happen if we could run around the landing pads, the new tard move would be to get yourself squashed by a landing ship, thus making the poor Commander a murderer. So lets cut that option out right away!

So you are now docked, your ship has been lowered to the hangar, now what? Due to the vast size of the stations, and how everyone in the game hates/detests/continually cries about timesinks, suggest we use some 34th Century magic. Firstly of course you can walk around your ship in the hangar, we can't deny the community all those selfies can we! In the hangar is a door, this may lead to a short corridor to an elevator type booth. But not the type we use now, lets get all SciFi and have it as a short ranged, closed system matter transfer. You have a couple of options inside the booth, Crew Lounge, Promenade and Station Services:
    - Crew Lounge: yep here you can get dressed in your finest Holo-Me outfits and stand there alone cos the chance of meeting any other player is probably non-existent. But here you can access information not available on your ship, like a more up-to-date market comparison tool, or a GalMap with all the Interstellar Factions listed. It would make sense for a station to have been information access than a ship, so lets utilise that. Here to, there could be notices advising of local PMF or Squadrons and the contact details. But the main thing is a bulletin board, basically a corkboard with notes stuck to it. These notes are offers of missions, just not from any faction (like the unsolicited ones we get now when flying) and probably not always legal. Details of the missions are scant, but if they perk an interest there is a number to contact (use the communication screen that is conveniently right next to it. These missions could be anything from assassination missions (i.e. NPC has personal grudge against a competitor, wants the problem removed) to NPCs asking for transport, no questions asked. High pay/high risk type of ventures. Lastly, there should be a prominent screen showing all Wanted Commanders that have reached a certain threshold, like having a notoriety over 7 or bounties over 500m (NOTE: Guesses only) and are in the immediate vicinity, last seen in the system or an adjoining one.
    - Promenade: Here are all the pretty things, a nice place to stretch your legs. There are shops you can enter but can't really do anything, they could even be ship sale yards were you can look over half sized models of all the ship, All for decorate of course. But I would like to see one shop, a tourist/gift shop. Here you can buy things like accurate models of all your ships with the correct paint scheme etc, maybe nice wall plaques of your rankings. These are all bought using in game credits (yep not real money) and are for brightening up your Commanders room on your ship - remember that display case I mentioned above.
    - Station Services: It would be a bit silly to duplicate what you can do in your ship with another timesink in doing it standing up. But here you may visit the Black Market as it always confused me why it was a legitimate option, it should be behind a nondescript door somewhere. I am sure others can come up with some inventive things to find here, just lets try to not make it a duplicate of what we can do now, and is easy for FD to do.

As for wandering around the station, I think that is all we will be able to do. To expect FD to model the massive interior of a Station, whilst keeping each one as unique as they can, is just unrealistic and really a waste of time. We should try to keep the first iteration of Space Legs as simple as possible I think, trying to expect too much from FD is just asking for disappointment.

I know everyone is asking where are the EVA and shooting bits, I believe they can come later, once FD gets the basics for Space Legs working.
    Honestly I think it's more likely to be the reverse of what most people are saying. You'll be able to get out of your ship and run around on planet surfaces doing FPS stuff first, and only later (if ever) will you be able to walk around stations and ship interiors. Why? Because running around planetary surfaces requires almost no new assets or building out of the gameworld. . It's just another form of locomotion. Space legs is just a tiny, slower SRV.

Originally Posted by Kaocraft View Post (Source)
    Honestly I think it's more likely to be the reverse of what most people are saying. You'll be able to get out of your ship and run around on planet surfaces doing FPS stuff first, and only later (if ever) will you be able to walk around stations and ship interiors. Why? Because running around planetary surfaces requires almost no new assets or building out of the gameworld. . It's just another form of locomotion. Space legs is just a tiny, slower SRV.
    Agreed, my hypothesis was only one of several that could eventuate. Your idea would work just as well, especially if it was released in conjunction to basic atmospheric landings (i.e. planets with PROCGEN vegetation, no lifeforms).

As long as it isn't a shooter I will be happy, if I want to play an FPS I would boot up CoD, BF or even FarCry

As long as it isn't a shooter I will be happy, if I want to play an FPS I would boot up CoD, BF or even FarCry
    I hope it isn't ONLY a shooter .. not sure I don't want the ability to defend myself if necessary though.

Agreed, my hypothesis was only one of several that could eventuate. Your idea would work just as well, especially if it was released in conjunction to basic atmospheric landings (i.e. planets with PROCGEN vegetation, no lifeforms).

I think if they do it they'll just let you run around on the same planets we've always been driving around in, and it'll probably be more or less the same gameplay we have with the SRV but in a new specialized area. We'll have a gun and some sort of "hacking" device for scanning tiny data points and maybe disabling turrets or hijacking skimmers, plus possibly the ability to more precisely and selectively mine outcrops and such for greater yields of materials. We'll probably have personal shields which act like ship shields, and we'll probably have a jetpac which (like the SRV) continually applies downward or upward thrust to simulate earth gravity and also ensure that no matter what planet we are on we don't get to fly around much. (Plus no need to create different walking/bounding animations for different gravity levels).

Later, they'll add new Thargoid and Guardian sites with tunnels and hallways too narrow for the SRV and probably a couple of puzzles to open locked doors. We might have to fight Sentinels and Scavengers on foot inside these structures. The reward at the end will be materials.

All game mechanics will involve pointing a crosshair at something and pulling a trigger, but it won't necessarily always be shooting per se.

i think a found a good compromise between those who wants spacelegs and those who wants to stay seated

The thing that interest me most with space legs, is the potential possibility of exploring those abandoned colonies and see what is inside the buildings, perhaps find a access through a mineshaft into a pitch black claustrophobic maze of old tunnels. Who knows what could be hidden down there

Not to mention going EVA from ship, and into old derelict ship husks floating in space, or entering abandoned outposts. So much potential there.

It is obvious that you need stuff to do for SpaceLegs or it would just be an exercise in moving around and going "Ooooo" & "Ahhhhh".
    The reason I posted was to counter those people who are claiming we won't be getting SpaceLegs because it's too hard for FD to do.
    I believe that FD are working on this and that they have a working prototype/demo tucked away on a server somewhere.

Originally Posted by CMDR Drake View Post (Source)
    It is obvious that you need stuff to do for SpaceLegs or it would just be an exercise in moving around and going "Ooooo" & "Ahhhhh".
    The reason I posted was to counter those people who are claiming we won't be getting SpaceLegs because it's too hard for FD to do.
    I believe that FD are working on this and that they have a working prototype/demo tucked away on a server somewhere.
    You know what the stuff to do would be don't you? It'll be a cut paste of the engineering system that will have you grinding away for materials to upgrade your shoes, add go faster stripes to your helmet or a boost upgrade for your jumpsuit. These mysterious Taylors will be hidden away in the far reaches of the galaxy and will demand exotic trinkets for their services because cash would be too simple. There might even be a compulsory mini-game where you must sit for hours on a loom creating fabric for them.

This could bring so many new possibilities to the game

This would be a great game concept becsoue think of all the new missions and game aspects that can be done becsoue of space legs, for example you can have FPS mission which everyone already knows off, but more fun is investigating missions where you go and investigate either a murder or a the supply of illigal commodities into a system and you go around different planets and stations talking to different people and find your own leads like physical evidence or either you can have missions which involve you taking out a hideout of pirates or some bad organization and slowly work towards taking out their entier organization done on foot and in ship, also you could board cpaital class ships in large scale battles and fight out with the crew and captin to controller the ship or sneak into a ship and steal it's cargo, also a great thing for explores is to be able to land on a atmospheric planets and go and scan various life fourme and plants and explore caves and mountains or either go under water and explore the depths, also with mining you could buy a specific amount of land on a planet and mine it either by having your own underground tunnels or excavating the ground, many people will agree and disagree but atuff like this will open so much more possibilities for the game and I bet any money will it will attract thousands of new peoole to the game, a game to look at for example is star citizen, everyone goes to me if 'you want to walk around go play start citizen' I already have and it's not a very well made game due to how it's in early alpha but if elite Dangerous adds in a whole new aspect to the game which is space legs it could surpass star citizen, and space legs will bring me and many player back to elite Dangerous along with new ones becsoue sitting in your ship doing the same thing you have done many of time just to get more credits or a better reputation or whatnot is not very fun and you will get board after some time.

I'm speaking for myself and not for everyone Thank you

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678