Page 172 of 172 First 168170171172
Results 2,566 to 2,580 of 2580

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Important Community Update

  1. #2566
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Yeah, how about both, space legs and atmo planets. Elite is the only "big" space game not having either of those. All the other well known space games has both, or another of those.

    Osiris New Dawn = both
    No Mans Sky = both
    Empyrion = both
    Star Citizen = both
    Hellion = space legs
    Space Engineers = space legs
    X4 = space legs

    Just to mention few..
    ED has the best FM, the biggest galaxy, currently leads the genre and its not a transparent scam. I'm not really interested in the runners up.

  2. #2567
    Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    ED has the best FM, the biggest galaxy, currently leads the genre and its not a transparent scam. I'm not really interested in the runners up.

  3. #2568
    No Man's Sky has the biggest galaxy

    Actually, they have two!

  4. #2569
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Yeah, how about both, space legs and atmo planets. Elite is the only "big" space game not having either of those. All the other well known space games has both, or another of those.
    Yes this is correct but:

    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Osiris New Dawn = both
    Tiny game world.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    No Mans Sky = both
    Space flight is rubbish and the ground gameplay is the same on every planet. Has no massive space stations, no planetary cities etc. Very limited.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Empyrion = both
    Don't know much about this game so can't comment.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Star Citizen = both
    Where should I start. All I will say is that its awful.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Hellion = space legs
    Has some great components, still in early access and the game workd is tiny in comparison to ED.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Space Engineers = space legs
    Not really in the same league.
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    X4 = space legs
    Tiny game world (compared to ED). Not very comparable.

    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Just to mention few..
    Just think of the size of the bubble and all those stations and the huge amount of work needed to make those areas not be carbon copies of each other. The add gameplay to go with it. Its a massive task. You could say that the bubble is too big and maybe it should have been smaller. But it is what it is. I would prefer FDev to take time over it and get it right instead of something that is not good.

    I expect atmospheric planets to come next and I hope they are much better then what we get in NMS.

  5. #2570
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Well I agree that if space legs come without any added gameplay mechanics then it would be a pointless excersise. I don't want space legs just to walk around my cockpit and/or ship for the sake of it. It needs to complement (not replace) the gameplay we can already do in the game.

    As I said, I want adventures in ED and adding the functionality of getting of your seat to explore ship wrecks or abandoned settlements, or do some shady deals in a station etc sounds like fun. Not that any of that will or should replace flying your ship or driving your SRV. But I believe I have said a number of times I would still prefer atmospheric planets first which I believe will come first before any space legs comes.
    I can't talk from first hand experience, but when half of what I read about multicrew is true, then I'd say before these things aren't fixed and working a lot better than now, then spacelegs would be a very frustrating experience under these conditions. Unless everyone is fine with just some walking around in Solo or posing in front of a mirror.

  6. #2571
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    I can't talk from first hand experience, but when half of what I read about multicrew is true, then I'd say before these things aren't fixed and working a lot better than now, then spacelegs would be a very frustrating experience under these conditions.
    If you want to play with other people, that maybe the case. But the main issue with multicrew I believe is the ownership of the ships and that is what causes the major issues. It would work more like a wing with other commanders unless they have it that you can enter each others ships, then that would need to be looked at again, but that is a long way down the road, so they have time.

    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Unless everyone is fine with just some walking around in Solo or posing in front of a mirror.
    Why would people just walk around and pose in the mirror. Do you think we can't explore ship wrecks or abandoned bases in solo mode or on our own? Do you think we can only do that if there are other commander are around? Do you think we can't get internal based missions unless part of a wing or multicrew?

    I don't understand what you are writing here as it doesn't really make any sense.

  7. #2572
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    ...
    Why would people just walk around and pose in the mirror. Do you think we can't explore ship wrecks or abandoned bases in solo mode or on our own? Do you think we can only do that if there are other commander are around? Do you think we can't get internal based missions unless part of a wing or multicrew?

    I don't understand what you are writing here as it doesn't really make any sense.
    Of course you could, but that's all I was saying: These missions would still have to be designed at first, while recycling existing missions just wouldn't cut it for me if they still would be possible from your ship. Atmospheric landings on the other hand won't require new mission types to be worthwhile, just the implementation of the flight physics. Which I don't say would be trivial, but once realized would do for all sort of atmospheric bodies.

  8. #2573
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Of course you could, but that's all I was saying: These missions would still have to be designed at first, while recycling existing missions just wouldn't cut it for me if they still would be possible from your ship. Atmospheric landings on the other hand won't require new mission types to be worthwhile, just the implementation of the flight physics. Which I don't say would be trivial, but once realized would do for all sort of atmospheric bodies.
    Of course they need designing. Thats what game designer are for Im pretty sure that these things will be added when/if space legs is implemented. They have already said that implementing space legs isn't the tough part, it's designing stuff to do. That is what will take time.

    I agree about atmospheric planets, but I suspect they will be adding more stuff to so on planets though, hopefully like planetary mining and more diverse missions.

  9. #2574
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Of course they need designing. That want game designer are for..Im pretty sure that these things will be added when/if space legs is implemented. They have already said that implementing space legs isn't the tough part, it's designing stuff to do. That is what will take time.

    I agree about atmospheric planets, but I suspect they will be adding more stuff to so on planets though, hopefully like planetary mining.
    Don't forget that's not a thread about legs vs atmo. Most want both, but it's all about what makes the most sense to come first. But whilst reading the OP again, it's not even that. It's all about speculations about what the next DLC might be...

  10. #2575
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Don't forget that's not a thread about legs vs atmo. Most want both, but it's all about what makes the most sense to come first. But whilst reading the OP again, it's not even that. It's all about speculations about what the next DLC might be...
    Yup. I want both, but fully expect it to be atmospherics first though. Which is fine by me. More exploration content.

  11. #2576
    Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    Yup. I want both, but fully expect it to be atmospherics first though. Which is fine by me. More exploration content.
    We're almost sitting in the same boat then. This would be my prefered order, not sure what to expect though.

  12. #2577
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    Yeah, how about both, space legs and atmo planets. Elite is the only "big" space game not having either of those. All the other well known space games has both, or another of those.

    Osiris New Dawn = both
    No Mans Sky = both
    Empyrion = both
    Star Citizen = both
    Hellion = space legs
    Space Engineers = space legs
    X4 = space legs

    Just to mention few..
    How many of them have top quality contents for both space legs and atmospheric planets?

  13. #2578
    Originally Posted by Old Duck View Post (Source)
    No Man's Sky has the biggest galaxy

    Actually, they have two!
    No they don't, they don't even attempt to model on a galactic scale, they have the most systems that's true, but once you look into the mechanics and physics of the setup you realise it's not actually a model or sim at all, it's a toy, it's like claiming a childs Orrery is a simulation of the solar system.

  14. #2579
    What I want is atmo planets. That, before everything else. Well - except - current game fixes. That has to be first really. Plus I am suspicious as heck about the interactive flight model. I'm flying a DD5 FAS and the interaction with other ships has me scratching my head all the time. Cutters that seem to be flying pancake-wise at the same speed I am fulltilt ahead such that I can't catch them. And then they lumber around me in slo-mo while my nimbleness seems totally ineffective. Lots of manoeuvring stuff between ships that just doesn't make sense.

    But what I want even before atmo planets is some serious development work done on the missions. Missions are crazy bugged, don't make sense even in the sim world, and simple stuff like senseless messages at inappropriate times bugs me. But even more than that - IT IS AN OPPORTUNITY JUST BEGGING TO BE CAPITALISED ON. (Oh, the pun, the pun!). By far the biggest percentage of missions, well the interesting ones at least, are illegal. The only missions I find myself doing, as a law-abiding citizen which is the only gameplay I enjoy due to the deficiencies in my character, are pirate lord hunting. All the other interesting-looking missions are illegal and result in fines or bounties and I end up with a hot ship and trying to avoid the law - which for me is no fun. Why can't FD develop some fun missions that are engaging and NOT ILLEGAL.

    I honestly believe that the best bang for buck that FD could invest in would be to make the missions epic! Focus on this for a season, develop some absolutely epic missions and the game would go to the moon! No other could touch it if they did this. And it seems to me (in my ignorance perhaps) that this could actually be far simpler than atmo planets with all that that entails. Focus on mission, make some good legal ones, and aim for EPIC! This would make the game unbeatable.

  15. #2580
    Originally Posted by Anthony- View Post (Source)
    How many of them have top quality contents for both space legs and atmospheric planets?
    Indeed... I'd suggest with the most recent update to ED, we've only just seen the first "top quality content" update to ED in 2-3yrs... And even then, it still has some serious balance/mechanics issues still in it from questionable design.

    I'm concerned TBH at the lack of progress in ED in the past 2-3yrs. And I'm concerned what that means. ie: How can those same 100 people produce content of true bar raising quality this year, when seemingly it was so hard last year... and the year before that?

    For me, space legs would require a whole new level of game mechanics with purpose and depth to make it worth while. And FD seem to really struggle with game mechancis with purpose and depth. So my hope is this year will see atmospheric landings with some basic mechanics for it (eg: surface mining), but which ultimately just adds a huge amount to exploration content/variety.

    Can anyone for example look at the current depth of the game. The amount mechanics and depth have moved on over the past 2-3yrs. And imagine DB's kickstarter sales pitch of landing on a planet to big game hunt a creature for a mission etc etc ever being in the game, in any form that is a solid worthwhile mechanic? I cannot even envisage space legs being added as a worthwhile addition looking back at the past few years...