Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 85888990
Results 1,336 to 1,345 of 1345

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Implementation of a dedicated mission server

  1. #1336
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    That doesn't change the fact that the simple existence of large ships would usually be deemed sufficient reason for a game to include content specifically aimed at allowing a player to maximise revenue when choosing to use them. Progression in that way may not be required but in a game which is about 'blazing your own trail' it should certainly exist as a valid gameplay choice for players whose trail happens to lead along that path.
    It is already entirely possible to maximize revenue in the endgame ships, but I disagree entirely that it should be the same simple point-and-click process as a newbie flying their first missions in a Sidewinder. Do you remember when video games got harder when you got to the later levels?

    My problem is that the players who are grinding and board flipping also whine incessantly on the forums about how much of a grind everything is and how incompetent FDev is at DESIGN and LOGIC. These moronic whiners dance around like they are the kings of Elite and everything should be handed to them on gilt platters because THEY ARE A PAYING CUSTOMER!!! (btw, these are all arguments that I've seen on these forums and elsewhere) I'm the antithesis of that.

  2. #1337
    Originally Posted by fu9ar View Post (Source)
    It is already entirely possible to maximize revenue in the endgame ships, but I disagree entirely that it should be the same simple point-and-click process as a newbie flying their first missions in a Sidewinder. Do you remember when video games got harder when you got to the later levels?

    My problem is that the players who are grinding and board flipping also whine incessantly on the forums about how much of a grind everything is and how incompetent FDev is at DESIGN and LOGIC. These moronic whiners dance around like they are the kings of Elite and everything should be handed to them on gilt platters because THEY ARE A PAYING CUSTOMER!!! (btw, these are all arguments that I've seen on these forums and elsewhere) I'm the antithesis of that.
    I certainly do. I remember when you bought a full price new release game accepting that depending on how good you were, you may simply never be able to complete it. I could give you a list from personal experience if I thought about it but off the top of my head, I never finished Team 17's Projext X in its original release format. I don't feel any shame about that because as wikipedia notes 'The game is composed of five levels. Many players never completed the second one (which had a very difficult ending), and most of the rest never went past level three' Now that was a game.

    Granted there are some games out there that still provide a serious challenge but the fact that they're remarked on (I'm thinking of a game like Dark Souls as an example) does demonstrate just how far the mainstream has moved away from that. We're in the age of 'everybody gets a prize' and I'm generally as uncomfortable with that as most Gen X'ers.

    You don't need to convince me that you've seen the things you mentioned above at all, I've seen enough of them myself to know you're right. I certainly don't expect the game to hand me stuff on a gilded platter but after just under 3,000 hours and as of two nights ago finally triple Elite, I also think I'm a bit past the gilded platter stage by now. Dues have definitely been paid.

    Also, despite the impression you might have gained from my comments in this thread I have never been a regular board flipper. I'll admit that I have done it , primarily on occasions when the sheer frustration of board after board with literally nothing on it that I wanted to actually do just got too much but it's not the usual way I play the game by any stretch of the imagination. Something that will probably give you as good an idea as anything about how I play the game is that back when Robigo smuggling missions were a thing (and my largest ship was an Asp into which pretty much all my credits had been poured) I did them because I enjoyed the gameplay of a 400LY pursuit by several npcs but despite enjoying them, I deliberately limited the amount that I ultimately did because I knew that I would end up killing the game for myself if I just milked them for a few billion credits.

  3. #1338
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    ...
    Edit: In fact I'll just add for the avoidance of any doubt whatsoever that I'm 47, played the original Elite on a 48k Spectrum and FE2 on my Amiga. I probably racked up more hours in FE2 than 90% of the people who post on this forum. Believe me, one thing I do not need is a lecture on what the game is supposed to be.
    +1 and agree with the whole post, but want to comment on your edit. I'm 62, Elite on C64 was actually my very first computer game (I think it was in 1986) and since then I'm totally sold on this game - up to now. But I'm very reluctant to powder my arguments with my age or experience. That's usually not going all too well and I still remember when I was young and rebuked with those very same 'arguments'. I still know how stupid that feels. Let me teach you that form someone 15 years older... oh wait... () to let you also know how 'snobbery' this feels.

    But other than that, I totally agree with your post.

  4. #1339
    Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Uhh ohh I agree with you for long time Yeah, I agree that rank locked mission system made lot of sense.
    Every now and again I find myself in agreement with Red and it bugs the hell out of me.

  5. #1340
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    +1 and agree with the whole post, but want to comment on your edit. I'm 62, Elite on C64 was actually my very first computer game (I think it was in 1986) and since then I'm totally sold on this game - up to now. But I'm very reluctant to powder my arguments with my age or experience. That's usually not going all too well and I still remember when I was young and rebuked with those very same 'arguments'. I still know how stupid that feels. Let me teach you that form someone 15 years older... oh wait... () to let you also know how 'snobbery' this feels.

    But other than that, I totally agree with your post.
    Noted - I wasn't really trying to support my arguments with that, it was more just trying to show that I'm sufficiently engaged with the franchise (a word I hate applying to games to begin with) that I really do understand the ethos behind it and in particular that it's never been about linear progression as the 'right' or even only way to play. I can see how it could come across that way though. I'd actually assumed the guy I was replying to was a similar age to me - it was really more about saying 'we're not that different in outlook' than anything else.

    I think over time a lot of players will at least buy large ships because we have to spend our credits on something, but none of the Elite games have ever been about reaching a point where you 'win' by doing that. Or more accurately, we all reach a point where we 'win' but it's only by achieving the goals that we set for ourselves to begin with. The game itself doesn't provide victory conditions for us. Which is a good thing because there are no shortage of games that do if that's what someone wants.

    You must have been a full-on geek if you were gaming on a C64 in 1986 I mean I was 15, people expected kids to be getting into computers but there were a hell of a lot fewer adult gamers around in those days. Kudos to you for realising that growing up is vastly overrated.

    Originally Posted by LeoBartlet View Post (Source)
    Every now and again I find myself in agreement with Red and it bugs the hell out of me.
    Don't worry, we'll have a chat about Brexit or something later mate and normality will return

  6. #1341
    I don't hate everyone who board flips apart from the specific and unequivocally negative effects that it has had other people. I don't care about other commander's ranks or success. I hate the argument (that seems to come from a lot of sock puppet accounts, fwiw) that tries to normalize and justify using an exploit. Just own up, cheater dudes.

  7. #1342
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    ...
    You must have been a full-on geek if you were gaming on a C64 in 1986 I mean I was 15, people expected kids to be getting into computers but there were a hell of a lot fewer adult gamers around in those days. Kudos to you for realising that growing up is vastly overrated.
    True and also sad as none of my old real life friends are still playing computer games. Anyway, I fight everyday to keep the little boy in me alive, whenever I feel he's dying it feels like my life is slowly coming to an end. So it more or less boils down to a fundamental survival question. If that's not a good excuse why I sometimes go over the top whenever I feel people are spoiling the game of my life?

    Other than that I struggle almost every day with modern gaming philosophy, especially as seen with MMOs. Fortunately there are still a few games around that remember me that old gaming ethos isn't entirely dead - yet.

    Your post triggered a lot of potential topics in my head but since I still want to play the game and multitasking isn't my fortune I can barely hold myself back. Also would become too OT I'm afraid, if it's not already is...

  8. #1343
    Originally Posted by fu9ar View Post (Source)
    I don't hate everyone who board flips apart from the specific and unequivocally negative effects that it has had other people. I don't care about other commander's ranks or success. I hate the argument (that seems to come from a lot of sock puppet accounts, fwiw) that tries to normalize and justify using an exploit. Just own up, cheater dudes.
    Yes, this. I really don't care if they do, as long as they don't defend this as legit game design which they feel being entitled to. Whenever I really like a game I defend its sanity whenever possible. I think my post above explains a little of why I might look so fundamental in some people's eyes. To me it's never *just* a game...

  9. #1344
    I'm happy they remove the board flipping option. It was annoying doing this stuff. But it was more annoying having no missions or just one per system(mostly did 1 hop haulage missions) to do.

    I'm quite surprised about the hate board flipping gets, it always appeared to me that it's just regular business. Don't know about the BGS(whats that) stuff but for hauling it gave me 4-6 missions to one destination instead of 6 missions for 6 destinations. Also did that when ranking up to baron (Wu guinagi, hip 7xxxx).

    Also i'm looking forward to the USS changes, they are necessary when mission availability gets cut down so you can also do the USS related missions(a no-go for me right now).
    Altough I hope they also rework the mission generation. It would also make the 10% increase not necessary.

  10. #1345
    Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    That's the crux of the issue when it comes to missions; people expect the work to scale so that as one becomes more successful, greater opportunities become available. That's actually how it used to work back when the missions were rank locked, a change which I think remains one of the most ill-advised they've ever implemented since it turned ranking to just watching a number on a screen with no tangible in-game rewards for improving it whatsoever.
    The missions are still rank locked, aren't they? I certainly see missions I"m not qualified to do...

    But I'm being picky. I agree with the gist of your post. I'm reasonably new but regularly see 1million credit plus local transportation offers.

    Now, what might be an idea is a bidding system; Professor Plum wants to go to the Library System which is 33Ly away. How much are you willing to do it for. NPC would necessarily have to bid against you...

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 85888990