Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Forum features disabled due to high load

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Forum features disabled due to high load

Hi folks, with the elite dangerous exploration news, it has caused a massive influx of users to our forums in the past few hours.

Many fluff and some core features have been disabled for the next 72 hours.

Thank you for understanding.

Im givin' 'er all shes got cap'n!

*ForumShift Drive Rebooting*

Excellent to see the crowded forum.

A sign of good health.

That jump and honk stuff must be more exciting than it looks....

Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)
    That jump and honk stuff must be more exciting than it looks....
    For those who understand that exploration is about far more than that jump and honk stuff, it is.

Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    For those who understand that exploration is about far more than that jump and honk stuff, it is.
    Hey, I've done it. Been to all the usual stuff - Sag A etc.

I even used to survey systems by triangulation and working out movement of bodies. I am in Elite in exploration too.

But mostly it is still jump and honk and you all know it.

I even used to survey systems by triangulation and working out movement of bodies. I am in Elite in exploration too.

Yeah. And when you're hiking through the nature and over the mountains, you "mostly just walk", but it's not really about THAT, you know.

Seriously guys, you can't even afford an A graded server?

Wow we finally did break the forum with our F5 ing

12. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #12
    Originally Posted by racer1 View Post (Source)
    Wow we finally did break the forum with our F5 ing
    290 notifications later, i would say you folks did.

Good news everyone. We confirmed Elite is not dead.

AKA 'We're embarrassed by the number of players reading the Exploration thread ('cos this is a pew-pew game ) and we don't want that information in the public domain'.

It is now, because that's pretty much all the mechanics allow.

As of now, I cannot explore strange new worlds, I cannot seek out new life and new civilisations╣... I can honk a system to see if there is an ELW among the rocks and snowballs. If there is, I can't land on it, and can't do more than a basic orbital survey with a DSS.

The new update, as it seems from yesterdays announcement will change some of this. Honking a star won't give you the telephone book for the entire system. Now it just says there's something out there, andd approximately where... Now we have to launch a probe (or hundreds) to the rocks and snowballs and clouds of superdense gasses. Now we have to look to see what's there.

Maybe (I am hoping here), in another announcement they'll tell us we can land on ELWs or WWs... Maybe we'll get a Moray to dive into a WW and see new rock or coral formations. Maybe finally when we get to land on an atmospheric planet, we really can seek out new life and new civilisations. Maybe if they give us space legs we can meet some other explorers without having to fight.

So no... the only thing about exploration that's honk and jump is game mechanics. And even that does it a disservice. Honk and jump is the equivalent of looking out of the car window as you drive past, and every traveller does that. Explorers do more. Explorers record what's there and leave information to help those who follow.

---

╣ Though to boldly go where noone has gone before, there's a bush over there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast