Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Forum features disabled due to high load

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Hi folks, with the elite dangerous exploration news, it has caused a massive influx of users to our forums in the past few hours.

Many fluff and some core features have been disabled for the next 72 hours.

Thank you for understanding.

When Frontier announces something that people really want

Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post (Source)
    It is now, because that's pretty much all the mechanics allow.

As of now, I cannot explore strange new worlds, I cannot seek out new life and new civilisations¹... I can honk a system to see if there is an ELW among the rocks and snowballs. If there is, I can't land on it, and can't do more than a basic orbital survey with a DSS.

The new update, as it seems from yesterdays announcement will change some of this. Honking a star won't give you the telephone book for the entire system. Now it just says there's something out there, andd approximately where... Now we have to launch a probe (or hundreds) to the rocks and snowballs and clouds of superdense gasses. Now we have to look to see what's there.

Maybe (I am hoping here), in another announcement they'll tell us we can land on ELWs or WWs... Maybe we'll get a Moray to dive into a WW and see new rock or coral formations. Maybe finally when we get to land on an atmospheric planet, we really can seek out new life and new civilisations. Maybe if they give us space legs we can meet some other explorers without having to fight.

So no... the only thing about exploration that's honk and jump is game mechanics. And even that does it a disservice. Honk and jump is the equivalent of looking out of the car window as you drive past, and every traveller does that. Explorers do more. Explorers record what's there and leave information to help those who follow.

---

¹ Though to boldly go where noone has gone before, there's a bush over there...
    But you said the current mechanics don't allow that?

Does that mean it takes more or less explorers to light a light bulb?

Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)
    But you said the current mechanics don't allow that?
    The last paragraph was referring to the proposed new features. I apologise that it was not clearer from the outset. (Also for the bad typing in parts - which I shall blame on the fact I'm using a tablet to do so).

In any case, the proposals seem an improvement to me, and while I understand we're all different, more choice is always good.

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    Does that mean it takes more or less explorers to light a light bulb?
    Explorer's don't light light bulbs.
    PvPers light 'em up.

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #20
    Slowly turning features back on today as the rush of users has subsided.

Slowly turning features back on today as the rush of users has subsided.
    Until the next bit of news hits

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #22
    Originally Posted by Jockey79 View Post (Source)
    Until the next bit of news hits
    Spending most of my friday optimizing things with these forums. So hopefully these issues become a thing of the past.

I hope people at F D take note that a news announcement about exploration caused the forum to melt-down.

Apparently, only 2.8% of players didn't visit the forums.

Originally Posted by yianniv View Post (Source)
    Apparently, only 2.8% of players didn't visit the forums.
    Of course. These were busy flipping the mission board, while the rest of us were flipping the forum.

11. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #26
    Throwing things at some server instances not being nice....

The Douglas Adams way of server management. I too find this usually very effective.

Originally Posted by Douglas Adams

If you don’t open that exit hatch this moment I shall zap straight off to your major data banks and reprogram you with a very large axe, got that?

And one of the few instances where voice input can be actually useful.

Is this why "Find latest started threads" won't yield all of the threads? I always use this to track my recent bug reports and see whether there was a reply (potentially asking for further information, screenshots, logs etc.), but now it does not list any of my bug report threads.

Good job mate. Definitely pizza-worthy!

15. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #30
    Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    Is this why "Find latest started threads" won't yield all of the threads? I always use this to track my recent bug reports and see whether there was a reply (potentially asking for further information, screenshots, logs etc.), but now it does not list any of my bug report threads.
    Which link are you clicking to make it fail the search?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast