Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Impression on the new update

Challenge mode is interesting, but I think there needs to be a few tweaks to it.

The main thing is that the Research/Expeditions/Fossils need to have multipliers to them by your star rating...or at least open extra upgrade slots or something.

Perhaps up DNA gains by your star rating or something because that's where a big bottleneck hits in the game that is entirely RNG for people going for time. Possibly also giving the Struthiomimus at a starting 50% would also be helpful for setting it up

Since the update, when a dino goes into cover, the stats disappear and I get zoomed out. I was gonna name lots of dinos after update but as soon as they go in the trees, I have to wait for them to come out and try the naming ceremony again. A bit annoying. And my Styracos have crooked jaws when they roar coming out of lab. It's more funny than bad.

Originally Posted by jessydion View Post (Source)
    Since the update, when a dino goes into cover, the stats disappear and I get zoomed out. I was gonna name lots of dinos after update but as soon as they go in the trees, I have to wait for them to come out and try the naming ceremony again. A bit annoying. And my Styracos have crooked jaws when they roar coming out of lab. It's more funny than bad.
    That's been the case since release.

Same opinion here. Challenge mode doesnt appeal to me. But now I spend most of my time riding the monorail and pretending I'm visiting the parks for the first time!
    I think they're trying to solve the replayability problem with this Challenge mode, when they should be focusing their efforts on the sandbox. The sandbox is what sustains a game like this on the long run. Their mistake originally was locking it off and forcing all players to complete the campaign first. By the time you unlocked the dinosaurs, buildings and upgrades, Nublar had just lost all its charm. The toggles added in the update were a godsend, but they're not enough to bring people back. Hopefully they have some content planned for the holiday season.

Originally Posted by GonerMcGoner View Post (Source)
    I think they're trying to solve the replayability problem with this Challenge mode, when they should be focusing their efforts on the sandbox. The sandbox is what sustains a game like this on the long run. Their mistake originally was locking it off and forcing all players to complete the campaign first. By the time you unlocked the dinosaurs, buildings and upgrades, Nublar had just lost all its charm. The toggles added in the update were a godsend, but they're not enough to bring people back. Hopefully they have some content planned for the holiday season.
    I had a glimpse at Prehistoric Kingdom. As much as Im obsessed with Jurassic park/world, PK seems more like what I want. Customize your enclosures with rocks you can rotate, logs, all kind of trees, lots of different fences, animal shelters, that kind of things. I keep wanting to have my raptors and Gallimimus in a red sandy rocky Gobi desert looking enclosure in JWE. Still a good game...

Customize your enclosures with rocks you can rotate, logs, all kind of trees, lots of different fences, animal shelters, that kind of things. I keep wanting to have my raptors and Gallimimus in a red sandy rocky Gobi desert looking enclosure...
    I don't think any of that would be hard to implement in JWE.

The star progression of the Challenge Mode could be an option to consider to add to the Sandbox Mode. So you do not start the sandbox with all the genomes of the dinos and all the investigations completed. That increases replay and makes the Sandbox Mode richer in options. This option and the possibility of never failing the incubations can not be missing in the next update.

On the other hand, what I most detest about the challenge mode is that you have to "eat" contracts permanently. You end one and automatically another one jumps without the possibility of rejecting it. If you reject one in progress you lose money and another one jumps on you. It does not make sense to cancel contracts. I do not want to have contracts unless I request them as in the campaign.

Beyond the contracts, the Challenge Mode seems to me a success. At last we have a way beyond the campaign! Because the sandbox mode is part of the campaign ... unless you can change to the progression of dinos and technologies by stars, of course, having everything unlocked at the start takes away attractiveness. For the campaign it is perfect but not for the sandbox mode.

I'll add it to the wish list.

I have the same opinion, challenge mode just isn't interessting for me. When I think back, I never really liked playing the missions in such games. Everytime I got a new zoo building game, I just went straight to free play / sandbox mode to build my dream park. Therefore I have to say, the sandbox mode is quite weak compared to simmiliar games. Not just the fact that you have to unlock everything trough the campain, but also that you are locked on just one single map, which is also not that big. No other zoo builder has this. So to add more replayability, they should do something against this problem. Another idea would be to have the option, to turn on sandbox mode on every island, once you have completed it.

Originally Posted by Dezessete View Post (Source)
    I have the same opinion, challenge mode just isn't interessting for me. When I think back, I never really liked playing the missions in such games. Everytime I got a new zoo building game, I just went straight to free play / sandbox mode to build my dream park. Therefore I have to say, the sandbox mode is quite weak compared to simmiliar games. Not just the fact that you have to unlock everything trough the campain, but also that you are locked on just one single map, which is also not that big. No other zoo builder has this. So to add more replayability, they should do something against this problem. Another idea would be to have the option, to turn on sandbox mode on every island, once you have completed it.
    I do like the missions, although I consider the "storyline" somewhat underwhelming to non-existent. There's certainly a lost opportunity for three engaging story arcs about the three competing factions. As for the contracts, I hope Frontier introduces more complex contracts later down the road. Something like "Build an Jurassic Period themed exhibit with at least four different Jurassic species and maintain a 100% comfort level for 10 minutes"
    But for what my two cents are worth, the next step on the journey of JWE should be new maps that work with Sandbox and Challenge mode. I for one, don't need more Dinosaurs right now. With Deluxe Edition and Fallen Kingdom DLC, there are already more Dinosaurs available than I can throw into one park.

I wonder, however, how Frontier would/could/should tackle new maps. I am okay with simply releasing a new map to build on and that's it. At the moment I'd just like to have a large map on which I can build one massive park.
    But there's also the possibility for going all out and release new maps as proper DLC, completely with new missions, buildings, skins and Dinosaurs. I'm honestly not sure what I would prefer at the moment.

Originally Posted by Astaran View Post (Source)
    I wonder, however, how Frontier would/could/should tackle new maps. I am okay with simply releasing a new map to build on and that's it. At the moment I'd just like to have a large map on which I can build one massive park. But there's also the possibility for going all out and release new maps as proper DLC, completely with new missions, buildings, skins and Dinosaurs. I'm honestly not sure what I would prefer at the moment.
    They could always add the Muertes to the sandbox, as Dezessete suggests, or split Nublar into regions, the current map being the smallest. Either way, my top priority is customization, followed by AI and animation improvements (both can come as paid content). More space (and likewise more dinosaurs), with such a limited scope for creativity as the game currently offers, solves absolutely nothing. The damage from locking the sandbox is already done for a million or so players: according to Steam only 59% have unlocked Nublar and barely 27% have reached Sorna. Unlocking the sandbox for everyone could bring some players back, but the only way for the game to reverse its plummeting player count is introducing more content - not new ways to play with the same toys and not a bigger canvas to paint with the same colors.

They could always add the Muertes to the sandbox, as Dezessete suggests, or split Nublar into regions, the current map being the smallest. Either way, my top priority is customization, followed by AI and animation improvements (both can come as paid content). More space (and likewise more dinosaurs), with such a limited scope for creativity as the game currently offers, solves absolutely nothing. The damage from locking the sandbox is already done for a million or so players: according to Steam only 59% have unlocked Nublar and barely 27% have reached Sorna. Unlocking the sandbox for everyone could bring some players back, but the only way for the game to reverse its plummeting player count is introducing more content - not new ways to play with the same toys and not a bigger canvas to paint with the same colors.
    Fair points and I agree with you for the most parts. Unlocking Sandbox Mode for everyone with one of the next patches could indeed bring some people back. Expanding Sandbox Mode to all other Islands (Sorna!) would also breath a bit new life into the game. Playing Nublar over and over and over again just gets old. But as you said, the main problem at the moment is the lack of content in various parts of the game. Even if Nublar were accessible for everyone, we're still stuck with the same few toys to play with (as you correctly put it). Customization options are necessary and have been asked for since launch (actually, even before release if I recall correctly). But planting trees, banks and bins still doesn't fix the entire content problem.

JWE is supposed to be a park management game, yet there is barely any proper depth to the "management". I've played Two Point Hospital for a bit and it just reminded me of all the "small stuff" that JWE lacks. Hiring&Training staff (instead of generic building upgrades), negotiating staff salaries and taking care of staff requirements/demands, proper and individual visitor needs, decoration&customization with relevance to gameplay (hospital, respective facility rating), optimizing price settings, loans&interests. I could continue this list basically forever. It is somewhat annoying, because the JWE setting is just so good for such a management game.

In the short run, large maps would at least allow us to play with all our currently available toys and those that come in the future. But it's not an "either....or" situation. Both things, more content to play with and more maps to play on, are mandatory if Frontier wants to maintain an economically suitable playerbase for JWE.

An AI overhaul and new animations are definitley needed. I just played the game a short while ago and I noticed that there is no real distinction between the dinosaurs. Where is the difference in having a Triceratops, a Styracosaurus or a Torosaurus? They all behave the same way, which, honestly, makes it quite dull in the long run.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123