Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well that was new.....for me, at any rate

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't count on all these POI's becoming persistent immediately with Q4 but the combination of new explore mechanics + the even more important codex makes persistence a lot more doable imo. It's my understanding that Q3 added a range of bases like this, with data points to scan and story breadcrumbing. Seems to me these are being added to all the time.

Plus of course it's not the shelter base that needs work to be made persistent - FD do that all the time with larger installations - it's the state change from when you recover data / items, blow the place up etc. I believe this is why they have used non-persistent spawns which on the face of it would seem an odd design, so they can overlay a persistent base with non persistent variations of what you'll find inside each time you visit.
    I don't want them to become persistent. BUT more context would be definitely welcome. Like you visit such POI, trigger mission, which unfolds into this PG mission chain with believable enough story line.

I've had this before.

I was in Open and, although It's probably wrong and a dumb idea, I just assumed I'd found "somebody else's" mission objective.

I was planning on gathering mat's so I wasn't paying attention to surface POIs, while landing, until it moved while I was in glide-mode.
    I had to fly around 60km across the surface to locate it, wondering if it might be something special.
    Overflew it and found it was just a regular, generic, Outpost.
    There was a security zone around it although the alarm didn't go off regardless of how long I remained inside.
    Eventually, I just scanned the data-point from my ship, got a couple of scans, and decided to leave it alone, thinking that if somebody else was heading for it, they might not appreciate finding another CMDR "waiting" there for them.

Hopefully, I didn't muck up somebody else's game by scanning the data-point.

Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    I wouldn't count on all these POI's becoming persistent immediately with Q4 but the combination of new explore mechanics + the even more important codex makes persistence a lot more doable imo. It's my understanding that Q3 added a range of bases like this, with data points to scan and story breadcrumbing. Seems to me these are being added to all the time.

Plus of course it's not the shelter base that needs work to be made persistent - FD do that all the time with larger installations - it's the state change from when you recover data / items, blow the place up etc. I believe this is why they have used non-persistent spawns which on the face of it would seem an odd design, so they can overlay a persistent base with non persistent variations of what you'll find inside each time you visit.
    Q4 will be a good start for the first optimisations. Much more to come in subsequent updates (months to years i concur).

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    I don't want them to become persistent. BUT more context would be definitely welcome. Like you visit such POI, trigger mission, which unfolds into this PG mission chain with believable enough story line.
    Yes, exactly what i thought in the first place.

Originally Posted by Lucius-Darcia View Post (Source)
    I have investigated this in the past. It is related to a mission that someone else has.
    It has happened regular to me and my mates when we were operating in the same area. I was able to find the mission reticle of them and vice versa. So it is indeed tied to a surface mission....just not yours
    I think I have seen something similar to the OP's described incident since 3.1/3.2 - not a regular occurrence but I do not believe it is related to what you are referring to.

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eagleboy View Post (Source)
    Persistence is relative. Having these transient, Proc. Gen PoI's last for up to a week would be a nice compromise I reckon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12