Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7101112
Results 166 to 173 of 173

Thread: Unpopular Opinion about Exploration Payouts

  1. #166
    Originally Posted by fu9ar View Post (Source)
    Why do you believe that credits are fully fungible currency?
    No one believes this.

    You can't trade credits for materials, Engineering, or even love.

    Originally Posted by Brrokk View Post (Source)
    I'm late to this thread. To deduce the orbit of an astronomical body usually requires several observations over a period of days or weeks.
    Only because resolution/accuracy is limited and there is usually an incomplete picture of other interactions.

    This is not the case for the ADS. It reveals all significant objects in an enormous radius and is evidently accurate enough to determine the orbits of all of those bodies with only a few seconds of scanning.

    Originally Posted by RymdLazer View Post (Source)
    First thing, the game is designed to work as single player. So effectively reducing payout is a means to punish new players for not playing since day one. A noob explorer is not starting out or getting the same benefits as a 4 year veteran.
    I pinged almost six thousand systems, fully scanned a couple hundred, and have my CMDR's name on almost twenty ELWs, all from one trip I made to Sag A* at the end of 1.2. My CMDR made less than 60 million credits for a two-month long trip.

    I could make the same in a weekend today, so you'd have to be talking about a pretty damn massive reduction in pay out to get back to what my CMDR has made per unit of work.

    Originally Posted by RymdLazer View Post (Source)
    Important to remember this is not a competitive game.
    I've never agreed with that assertion and the existence of mechanisms like the BGS, PP, and first discoverers being plastered on system maps for all subsequent visitors to see, would seem to support my point of view.

  2. #167
    Originally Posted by RymdLazer View Post (Source)
    Sorty if parroting previous replies. Didn't read all.

    First thing, the game is designed to work as single player. So effectively reducing payout is a means to punish new players for not playing since day one. A noob explorer is not starting out or getting the same benefits as a 4 year veteran.
    Important to remember this is not a competitive game.
    So no.

    As for scanning already discovered systems. My immersive explanation for my self is that fresh data is always desired.
    It's a dangerous war torn galaxy and intel is important.
    o7
    It's a rather fair point.

    I think that some are definitely searching for ways to bring some "meaning" to their multiplayer experience, as Elite Dangerous really tends to lack a "progression system" outside of obtaining bigger and bigger ships. Frontier didn't really do a bang-up job with planning all this out on release- there's a lack of character development, quite a bit of disjointed systems (ranks/reputation, etc.), so the incorporation of multiplayer feels very tacked on. Things like PowerPlay, MC, were later introduced as an attempt to help smooth out the rough edges- but at the end of the day it still feels like an afterthought.

    I do have to agree- being a mainly Solo player, that nothing should be completely locked out for a new player- not necessarily that all players should get the same "benefits", but rather they should never be locked out from obtaining the same benefits over time.

    For me, it's the difference between having to earn vs being granted or given outright. (A game should include challenges, not just a cinematic movie, after all. )

    So in essence, no "exclusives" should be granted- but rather the opportunities should always be present for any player to earn benefits, regardless of how long they've been "vested" in the game. (Not necessarily a fan of the "scan it until it's dried up" method because of this)

  3. #168
    Originally Posted by RymdLazer View Post (Source)
    Sorty if parroting previous replies. Didn't read all.

    First thing, the game is designed to work as single player. So effectively reducing payout is a means to punish new players for not playing since day one. A noob explorer is not starting out or getting the same benefits as a 4 year veteran.
    Important to remember this is not a competitive game.
    So no.

    As for scanning already discovered systems. My immersive explanation for my self is that fresh data is always desired.
    It's a dangerous war torn galaxy and intel is important.
    o7
    Surely even a new player would expect and understand that discovery ought to involve finding things that nobody else has found yet, and as such, that surveying already-known areas won't result in as much progress as forging entirely new paths would.

    In fact, back when I was a new player, this stood out to me as one of the biggest inconsistencies and strange foibles about Elite. And it continues to stand out to me to this day.

  4. #169
    why not reset all players to sidewinder with no money so those who have played a long time have the experience to their advantage and the new players will have the chance for the same level of game play we all enjoyed .

    point, don't take away from other just because you already achieved a high level, everyone starts the game at the same level and should have the same opportunity to grow and explore all the game has to offer. Too many game opportunities have been removed from new players so they have to grind longer and harder just so the elite can feel better about being a privileged group.

    Instead of removing and reducing payout at the bottom, add new levels to the top to increase the challenge for those who have played a long time

  5. #170
    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    why not reset all players to sidewinder with no money so those who have played a long time have the experience to their advantage and the new players will have the chance for the same level of game play we all enjoyed .
    I'd be cool with that. As part of the reset, Frontier can fix all the "Borg Cubes" throughout the galaxy, give us better Nebula, add the new catalog stars that were recently discovered, add comets and other missing stellar phenomena, give us dangerous black holes that strip the gas from nearby stars (vs the Windows 95 screensaver we currently have), etc.

    The only caveat is that they get rid of the more grindy unlocks for things like engineers. If I ever see a Fujin cigar again, I'll lose my mind!

  6. #171
    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    why not reset all players to sidewinder with no money so those who have played a long time have the experience to their advantage and the new players will have the chance for the same level of game play we all enjoyed .

    point, don't take away from other just because you already achieved a high level, everyone starts the game at the same level and should have the same opportunity to grow and explore all the game has to offer. Too many game opportunities have been removed from new players so they have to grind longer and harder just so the elite can feel better about being a privileged group.

    Instead of removing and reducing payout at the bottom, add new levels to the top to increase the challenge for those who have played a long time
    That *would* fix the Gamma Save Problem....

  7. #172
    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    why not reset all players to sidewinder with no money so those who have played a long time have the experience to their advantage and the new players will have the chance for the same level of game play we all enjoyed .

    point, don't take away from other just because you already achieved a high level, everyone starts the game at the same level and should have the same opportunity to grow and explore all the game has to offer. Too many game opportunities have been removed from new players so they have to grind longer and harder just so the elite can feel better about being a privileged group.

    Instead of removing and reducing payout at the bottom, add new levels to the top to increase the challenge for those who have played a long time
    I'd personally have no problem with this, but I can definitely see why there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. For some, it seems pride in personal achievement takes on a very different "level" outside of personal accomplishment- but rather "public" achievement. Everyone simply "must respect them for what they've achieved", rather than allowing others to make that particular choice for themselves. IMO, personal achievement is exactly that, remaining with the person.

    Personally, I'd rather see the ability for more than one CMDR save possible introduced- as well as the limitation of save progress between modes. No more "mode switching" the same CMDR, but each one gets their own progress. Don't like the multiple CMDR saves? Great! Your single CMDR save is still possible and remains as it does now.

    More choice and freedom for everyone, rather than limited choice and freedom for the few.

  8. #173
    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    why not reset all players to sidewinder with no money so those who have played a long time have the experience to their advantage and the new players will have the chance for the same level of game play we all enjoyed .
    Definitely not! It took me long enough to get to the point I am now.

    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    point, don't take away from other just because you already achieved a high level, everyone starts the game at the same level and should have the same opportunity to grow and explore all the game has to offer. Too many game opportunities have been removed from new players so they have to grind longer and harder just so the elite can feel better about being a privileged group.
    I quite agree with this point, but I disagree with the aspect that opportunities have been removed. If anything, opportunities have been added.

    Originally Posted by DAB42 View Post (Source)
    Instead of removing and reducing payout at the bottom, add new levels to the top to increase the challenge for those who have played a long time
    I have always supported this premise, expand and build on what is there rather than wholesale change existing mechanics because of a few.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7101112