Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi chaps. Checking in, Day 0

Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post (Source)
    Hi fellow pilots.

I am just waiting for the game to download and install.

Thought I should introduce myself, just in case we meet in game. Currently located in SE Asia, UTC+7. Got a few latenight hours each day to grind, internet connection and a happy memory of playing Frontier as a teenager back in the Nineties!

Hope to see you around. Any protips gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Welsh
    Croeso!

Don't get sucked into a grind, take your time and enjoy your progress - it's pretty hard not to make money and pick up useful stuff along the way!

Ignore people who tell you not to go into Open - try all the modes and choose one that suits your playstyle.

There are some great 3rd party tools to help your Elite career - one of my favourites is Inara, which lets you make a full profile for your commander, gives you an API that tracks your stats, materials and blueprints (PC only) and an excellent community to support you and banter about with!

Pob lwc! 7

Hi and welcome! All good advice above, the only thing I would add is take your time in the tutorials to set up the key bindings to your liking. Although you don't mention it I'm assuming you have PC version.

And just in case you haven't purchased it already then make sure you get the Horizons expansion which is worth every penny, discounted or not. You miss out on so many extra features of the game without it so it would be a crime not to.

If you go into the options/contols menu you'll notice there are a huge amount of controller, mouse and keyboard mapping possibilities.

Don't worry about setting them all up in 1 go. You'll find it far easier to learn what suits as you progress. Using the tutorials to experiment and tweak means you can do it with no pressure and hassle if you mess up.

Although it's perfectly possible to play just using kb and mouse, in fact many do, most people find a joystick and possibly a HOTAS set up works very well in ED and makes flying around (and driving the SRV vehicle) far more intuitive. After a while you'll find becomes almost second nature.

A decent but not too pricey joystick that comes well recommended is the Thrustmaster T16000M (new version) which has plenty of buttons to map and can be complemented with a HOTAS throttle if that floats your boat. Considering a large chunk of the game is about flying and operating your ships and vehicle(s) it's definitely a worthwhile investment if you haven't done so already.

As has been said, asking here is your best bet of getting a straight answer. Fly safe! o7

Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post (Source)
    Hi fellow pilots.

I am just waiting for the game to download and install.

Thought I should introduce myself, just in case we meet in game. Currently located in SE Asia, UTC+7. Got a few latenight hours each day to grind, internet connection and a happy memory of playing Frontier as a teenager back in the Nineties!

Hope to see you around. Any protips gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Welsh
    Elite will delight and frustrait you in equal measure, welcome to this.

Welcome Cmdr. Stay frosty out there,.,,

Flimley

Originally Posted by Maenden View Post (Source)
    And welcome from me too.

My pro tip - as soon as you can afford it get a docking computer.

Tip two - ignore the purists who tell you the only way to enjoy Elite is to grind your way through everything, dance on the embers of an exploding generator and flail yourself daily with the wiring loom from a SRV.

Tip three - also ignore the people who tell you as soon as you climb into that side-winder you should wing-up, visit every engineer in the universe and attack the Thargoids with horrendously expensive weapons you can't afford.

Just learn to fly carefully - and get a docking computer.

Oooops! Nearly forgot:- Never play in Open mode. That's NEVER, ever ever.
    Stick to Solo or join a PvE group like Mobius.
    Whoa there, bud. All that is good advice EXCEPT the last part.

The galaxy is enormous. There is plenty of room for everyone in open mode. There is very very little to fear especially if you aren't going to heavily populated systems or community goals. And even then trouble is easy to avoid.

OP, welcome to the galaxy. Don't fly without a rebuy is really the most important tip. Other than that, figure out what you want to do and go from there. Trade, travel, explore, bounty hunt, smuggle, pirate etc its all about what you want to be.

Originally Posted by Dr Zug View Post (Source)
    Whoa there, bud. All that is good advice EXCEPT the last part.

The galaxy is enormous. There is plenty of room for everyone in open mode. There is very very little to fear especially if you aren't going to heavily populated systems or community goals. And even then trouble is easy to avoid.........
    Yeah Maenden must have had a bad experience as they are way ott about the risks of open.

Open is just as empty as private groups (more so in some places) and only slightly more populated than solo. I often fly in Open but never at "hub" places (rare goods, engineers, etc) and I hardly ever see another player. If I fly in Mobius though there are often one or two others in the system. I like to fly with no inn-sewer-ants claims and I am useless at combat so that is why I avoid open at the "hubs".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12