Thread: Many rude words! Bindings have vanished and I can't replace them

Many rude words! Bindings have vanished and I can't replace them

So I've just fired up ED and my bindings are gone. Check options, the custom file has disappeared from the presets dropdown.

I'd made a bindings backup before installing 3.2, so I got it and dropped it into:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Fired up ED again, bindings still missing, Custom 1.8.3.0.binds still missing from the presets.

I tried creating a copy of the file renamed to Custom 1.8.3.2. No success with that either, though I did end up with a backup of the file in my Bindings folder.

It's been six months since I messed with this stuff, and my old brain forgets such things very quickly. What, am I doing wrong? Is there something else I should be trying/

Help!

Check you dont have Custom.3.0.binds file, you should have I think? In which case back it up, and then use your previous binds that worked (back them up again somewhere else) and use them as Custom.3.0.binds

Mine disappeared yesterday. Had them backed up but putting them in didn't do squat. But... as far as I can tell there was no update yesterday and everything worked fine after the thursday tick.
    However I did do a big bunch of driver updates (one of which got my row of unfixable usb-ports running again. Yay!) so I just assumed it was those that borked my hotas.
    Twiddled a bit and fixed some binds that bothered me (but not enough to do anything then).
    All smiles again.

Bought a T9 yestereve. Whot a monstarrr! Love hauling now.

Do you have something like an Xbox controller that you use for other stuff in game? Make sure it's switched on. Something changed recently.

No XBox controller in use. No recent messing with drivers.

Tried Custom 3.0 - didn't load the bindings or show up in the presets menu.

1. The game looks at the description in line 2 of the file for what to display.

2. Don't keep copies in the same directory as, due to #1 above, it messes with the game's brain and produces strange issues (some like the OP's).

3. Suggest you take your backup file, copy it, edit it (notepad will do) to give it a new title (dagwit.3.0.binds for example) and change the descriptor in line 2 to the same name e.g "Dagwit" so it reads:
    <Root PresetName="Dagwit" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
    , drop this dagwit.3.0.binds file into the
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
    folder, run the game and there should be a drop-down preset / control setting called "Dagwit" for you.

4. Never rely on using "custom" binds file as that seems to be the one that gets overwritten sometimes.

OK, this is where I am at the moment.

The presets dropdown menu offered me an option to select Oculus Touch controllers. As a Rift user, I have such, but would never use them for ED.

The binds file for the controllers is Oculus Touch.binds, located in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\elite-dangerous-64\ControlSchemes

I copied this file to another location, and replaced it with my custom binds file, now renamed to Oculus Touch.binds. I also had to replace the xml header in the file with that from the Oculus Touch.binds file.

I then fired up ED - the Oculus Touch option had vanished from the dropdown list. For reasons unknown to me, I then decided to try the default Thrustmaster Warthog config (I use my own highly customised Warthog config). After I applied it, Lo! The Oculus Touch option appeared in the presets dropdown menu.

So I applied that. And it seems I have my bindings back. At any rate, my Oculus Rift view reset button is working again, and as that's on my throttle, that's not part of the original Oculus Touch file.

Now to see if I can actually play.

Hopefully if I make some minor change to the bindings, I'll be offered the chance to save the setup as a custom file again. We'll see.

This hasn't so far been the most fun I've ever had on a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks to all those who replied.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    1. The game looks at the description in line 2 of the file for what to display.

2. Don't keep copies in the same directory as, due to #1 above, it messes with the game's brain and produces strange issues (some like the OP's).

3. Suggest you take your backup file, copy it, edit it (notepad will do) to give it a new title (dagwit.3.0.binds for example) and change the descriptor in line 2 to the same name e.g "Dagwit" so it reads:
    <Root PresetName="Dagwit" MajorVersion="3" MinorVersion="0">
    , drop this dagwit.3.0.binds file into the
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
    folder, run the game and there should be a drop-down preset / control setting called "Dagwit" for you.

4. Never rely on using "custom" binds file as that seems to be the one that gets overwritten sometimes.
    Thanks Para, I'll keep your advice in mind for future reference(or if my current solution isn't as good as I'm hoping it is!).

1) Kepp a backup
    2) you have to have everything plugged in
    So like that stupid hand controller you only use for camera
    Yeah if that's not plugged in it borks the whole thing.