Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8gb DDR2 upgrade in an old desktop

Originally Posted by Mo Ronik View Post (Source)
    My hotas showed up today and after about 15 minutes of cleaning it looks like brand new. I'm tempted to connect it and run it thru that accuracy program. All that's left is that adapter for the power supply and we're in business. So, as we sit right now my career as a space hero is being stymied by a $14 wire assembly. Gotta love it....
    See if you can manage to not use anything other than the game controller calibration for your HOTAS. I have a T-Flight X on my secondary PC and it does not need the TARGET software or any drivers, it runs perfectly well just plug-and-play then run game controller calibration. (I don't like unnecessary stuff running on the computer.)

The new to me pc is officially upgraded. That adapter wiring harness worked like a champ to connect the power supply and the graphics card installed without a hitch. I tried to install ED last night but... silly me, I bought Horizons and it wouldn't install no matter what I tried. So I sent a ticket off to the powers that be and I got my answer this morning, yep, its morning right now over here. I have to purchase the base game first and install that before Horizons can be installed. It was never spelled out anywhere other than a help page I found after searching for answers. I'll go ahead and get the base game this evening when I return home and give that a go and hopefully all goes well and I can install the Horizons expansion without any more problems. If anyone is having issues installing an upgraded power supply in an older HP tower system this is what I had to purchase to make the connections work: https://www.amazon.com/24-Pin-6-Pin-.../dp/B01NAHMULC The white connector was the problem and it seems as though new power supply units do not come with this for an HP motherboard. I connected the 24 pin to the harness, the white connector to the board, the 6 pin connector to the board and used the 4 pin connector from the ps and that went to the board as well. Works like a charm now. I did read somewhere that folks were getting some kind of error message about the fan not registering but I didn't have that problem. Fan is working as it should and it seems to be moving more air than the original.

Originally Posted by Mo Ronik View Post (Source)
    ......... I tried to install ED last night but... ....... I have to purchase the base game first and install that before Horizons can be installed. It was never spelled out anywhere other than a help page I found after searching for answers. ....
    Well apart from the Horizons product page on the store:

I suppose they could have made it flashing colours to make it even more obvious.

Still. well done for not throwing a wobbly about it...

Enjoy...

Yeah, I thought Horizons was Elite Dangerous but I found out it was just the expansion. They were quick enough with the ticket response to address my gap in knowledge for sure and that was a good thing. I'll get it all installed tonight and with any luck I'll be leaving bits and pieces of sidewinders all over the place. Now to figure out these button bindings on the HOTAS.... This is becoming an old dog/new tricks kinda thing.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    I suppose they could have made it flashing colours to make it even more obvious.
    Turns out <blink> and <marquee> were necessary after all

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    A GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 TI would be more efficient and consume less for a few dollars more ?
    Rx 550 GPU 50 watts
    GtX 1050 GPU 75 watts

Originally Posted by Vistitor010100 View Post (Source)
    Rx 550 GPU 50 watts
    GtX 1050 GPU 75 watts

Indeed ! The preconceived ideas are not always the best councilor.

However Cmdr Mo Ronik was talking about a RX 560, which seems to consume more at rest and also in full charge

Rx 550 GPU 50 watts
    GtX 1050 GPU 75 watts

The 1050ti is around 70% faster at that extra power premium mind. That means the vanilla 1050 is around 50-60% more powerful too.

Efficiency has to include what said card does with the power it uses and those two cards are by no means directly comparable in that regard. A GTX 1030 on the other hand (GDDR5 model) would be a much better comparison.

My wife has the Rx 550 and it plays Eve on highest settings and stays at 64c in a small Alienware x51

would have liked to get the gtx 1050 But at the time it was 2x expensive as the rx 550

Originally Posted by MickyG1982 View Post (Source)
    A GTX 1030 on the other hand (GDDR5 model)
    In this case only for office work and web browsing, I believe

My wife has the Rx 550 and it plays Eve on highest settings
    What screen resolution ?

Originally Posted by Patrick_68000 View Post (Source)
    What screen resolution ?
    1080p

double checked setting(from memory) all high-if you need exact,let me know /Shadows -low

Eve doesn't seem a graphics heavy game...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123