Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8gb DDR2 upgrade in an old desktop

Originally Posted by Mo Ronik View Post (Source)
    After careful consideration I've decided to not try and upgrade this desktop. Too many unknowns. So, I just pulled the trigger on another desktop. Really cheap desktop too but it is newer and has an Intel i3 3.30 GHz processor and 8gb of DDR3 memory for the low low price of $67. The 8gb DDR2 order was cancelled so no harm no foul with that. Now all I'll need is a video card that can dish out the mayhem and we're all set. Might still need to upgrade the power supply but that is a cheap do as well. So, hopefully in a week or so I can start leaving bits and pieces of Sidewinders adrift in the void....
    I think that is the right choice. I have an old AMD 64 system (4GB DDR2, 1GB GT9600 GPU etc) and the price of an extra 4GB DDR2 stick was more than getting a current stick of much faster ram. At some point an old system just hits diminishing returns in terms of value for money and difficulty sourcing older parts that are not private sale super over-priced parts.

In relation to the GPU you were talking about, the 2GB 1050 card, it really is the very lowest entry level gaming card in relation to current games. It's 2GB is also too low for many games, you need to be starting with a 4GB card imho, so if you can spring for it the 1050Ti version of that card is the one you want (as a minimum for a gaming rig).

The PSU is important, but less about it's W output and more about the quality of manufacture. So pick a good brand first, W output second.

For example i have an i5@3.2 Ghz, 4GB 1050Ti GPU, 128MB SSD (windows boot drive), 2x2TB HDD for games and storage and all that ran easily on my Seasonic GS-450W power supply. I now have a Corsair RM 550W psu, but that was just a replacement due to not having a surge protection/ups system in a house with old electrical fittings! The 450W psu was totally good for my system as it was a quality part. So spend an extra 20 on getting a better brand quality PSU.

Intel i3 3.30 GHz processor and 8gb of DDR3 memory for the low low price of $67
    Much better

Worth also remembering that the GTX10.. series cards take much less power than their GTX9... series predecessors. My main rig's 1KW PSU is way OTT these days/

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Worth also remembering that the GTX10.. series cards take much less power than their GTX9... series predecessors.
    One of the first criteria to consider during a purchase

I'm laughing at video card prices trying to justify spending the money to put a good one in a $67 desktop. But.... I checked the specs of this motherboard and it can be upgraded to an i7 core processor and it can handle 32gb of memory so I might have stumbled upon a deal here. Been searching out reasonably priced video cards and I think this one is about my max budget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J422CZ...remegaminer-20

Been searching out reasonably priced video cards and I think this one is about my max budget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J422CZ...remegaminer-20
    A GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 TI would be more efficient and consume less for a few dollars more ?

I'm laughing at video card prices trying to justify spending the money to put a good one in a $67 desktop. But.... I checked the specs of this motherboard and it can be upgraded to an i7 core processor and it can handle 32gb of memory so I might have stumbled upon a deal here. Been searching out reasonably priced video cards and I think this one is about my max budget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J422CZ...remegaminer-20
    I have to admit to an aversion to that family of GPU cards, I have been an avid NVIDIA follower for years now so I can't comment on that specific card.

I just wanted to point out yes you might baulk at the idea of spending more money on a better card in a cheaper system, however the card wouldn't take up much space when you emigrate.

Amazing the unrelated things you find while searching for stuff. I had no idea what cryptocurrency mining was and how that was causing video card prices to be high. Also Chinese video cards are on the rise. I watched a video where a computer builder reviewed the Yeston brand of video cards after reviewing some of the "fake" Chinese video cards and had high marks for the Yeston. He said they actually use the same or better quality parts than the card they are cloning. They also have a good reputation on a ton of other things like drones with a complete website for their products. Returns might be an issue. Soooo. there is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeston-NVID...d=690717754793 edit: Of course that was just the power adapter and the actual card price is way out of my budget but still considerably cheaper than the name brands

Hotas is on the way. Still looking locally for a video card but the trail is cold. Probably gonna have to have one delivered.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12