Thread: Achenar. B, C and E modules

Achenar. B, C and E modules

The Empire have deigned me worthy of their home system. I hear that the imperial palace is a Mecca for Empire types . Is this A Thing and, if so, is it worth a visit? I am avoiding spoilers...

Given A modules are the best (and cost exorbitant cash) and D rated modules are the lightest , it seems the only reason for B,C and E rated ones is a money thing. Would that statement be true?

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    The Empire have deigned me worthy of their home system. I hear that the imperial palace is a Mecca for Empire types . Is this A Thing and, if so, is it worth a visit? I am avoiding spoilers...

Given A modules are the best (and cost exorbitant cash) and D rated modules are the lightest , it seems the only reason for B,C and E rated ones is a money thing. Would that statement be true?
    B rated modules generally have the highest integrity and mass.
    C = compromise, so meh at best.
    E = OEM

This doesn't apply to all modules; eg shield boosters, fuel scoops.

Originally Posted by Bob Lighthouse View Post (Source)
    B rated modules generally have the highest integrity and mass.
    C = compromise, so meh at best.
    E = OEM

This doesn't apply to all modules; eg shield boosters, fuel scoops.
    Kinda agreed

A = awesome
    B = Bloody massive
    C = Compromised
    D = Does that have mass?
    E = Everyday Value

If you're not requiring the absolute top performance - and most activities don't - a C-class module with G4 engineering has most of the performance of a G5 A-rated module at a fraction of both the credit and materials cost, and performs considerably better than an unengineered A-rated module at a fraction of the credit cost plus some relatively easy materials.

Once you've been playing a while and have more money than you ever need, sure, why not go for A-rated everything. When you're starting out, you can get almost all of the performance of A-rated for less than half the price, and that's pretty useful.

(If you're doing something PvP-competitive - be that combat or racing or whatever - or you're out to fight Thargoids ... then you'll need every bit of performance you can get and C-rated isn't enough. But for most things, it's good enough)

Achenar has a lot of lore-dump tourist beacons.

Isn't Achenar home to that interesting planet to land on?

On the to do list like Mitterond Hollow and Hutton Orbital.

​For oriental curse values of interesting.

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    I hear that the imperial palace is a Mecca for Empire types . Is this A Thing and, if so, is it worth a visit? I am avoiding spoilers...
    The Imperial Palace exists in lore as something that can be seen from space. Unfortunately, it currently only exists in lore. In-game, Capitol looks like any other high-population procedurally-generated-surface Earth-like world. If you want to see the Imperial Palace, I assume you will have to wait until ELWs become landable and ELW modelling gets a revamp.

Being invisible is, you have to admit, an improvement over being submerged underwater; sometime around 1.3, Capitol accidentally got transmogrified into a Water World, with the entirely-covered-by-water surface typical of such worlds. It was finally fixed sometime around 2.1 I think.

Behold, my archival footage of the drowned surface of Capitol! the Imperial Palace is under there, somewhere...

Originally Posted by Ian Doncaster View Post (Source)
    If you're not requiring the absolute top performance - and most activities don't - a C-class module with G4 engineering has most of the performance of a G5 A-rated module at a fraction of both the credit and materials cost, and performs considerably better than an unengineered A-rated module at a fraction of the credit cost plus some relatively easy materials.
    In which respect? A rated power for sure would cost a bucket load more than a C power plant, but you can't really say that engineered up they would be mostly the same. A stomps all over C grade stuff.

Of course, you can get by with C modules, but they're not in the same league, it's not right to suggest otherwise.

Originally Posted by mistohise View Post (Source)
    but you can't really say that engineered up they would be mostly the same. A stomps all over C grade stuff.
    Uhm, yes you can.

An engineered C will outpace an unengineered A in whatever category you focused your engineering on.

Probably worth bearing in mind that each upgrade in either rating or size roughly triples the cost. Fuelscoops are particularly expensive, with an 8A costing in excess of 200 million! You can save a lot of cash by not fitting A-rated. Also, with fuelscoops, each upgrade in size is worth about 2 upgrades in quality, so a 6A is roughly equivalent to a 7C for scooping speed (but costs 3 times as much). I fitted a 7B on my T10, and I've recently downgraded the scoop on my AspX from 6A to 6B to make ship transfer more affordable (as the scoop represented most of the cost of the ship). However, it's best not to have a scoop that is smaller than the FSD it's fuelling (the DBX has a problem here, feeding a size 5 FSD with a size 4 scoop: the Beluga has a similar issue, but feeding a size 7 FSD with a size 6 scoop isn't so bad).

Also, A-rated consumes more power. This will increase your heat signature (except an A-rated powerplant, which reduces your heat signature by generating power more efficiently), and might require a bigger powerplant than you'd otherwise need.

For thrusters, I generally fit A-rated for freighters (to shift a lot of tonnage) and either A or B for warships (as B has high integrity, i.e. the unit itself has more hitpoints). D is good for most other ships because it's light (and you might also be able to get away with downsizing it to save even more weight, a common strategy with exploration ships to increase jumprange).

Originally Posted by mistohise View Post (Source)
    In which respect? A rated power for sure would cost a bucket load more than a C power plant, but you can't really say that engineered up they would be mostly the same. A stomps all over C grade stuff.

Of course, you can get by with C modules, but they're not in the same league, it's not right to suggest otherwise.
    6C: 21MW
    6A: 25.2MW
    6C+OC4: 27.9MW

Or for power distributor:
    6C: 4.3/2.7 MW
    6A: 5.2/3.2 MW
    6C+CE4: 5.8/3.7 MW

Or for thrusters (average-mass Python hull)
    6C: 249/325
    6A: 267/348
    6C+DD4: 328/427

Or for shields (Python again)
    6C: 346
    6A: 398
    6C+Reinforced4: 457 (though thermal resistant would be better)

A moderately engineered (i.e. no G5 materials that are difficult or time-consuming to obtain) C-rated module is generally noticeably better than an unengineered A-rated one. Obviously a G5 A-rated module is even better, but that doubles the credit cost and massively increases the materials cost.

Because it's so trivial to make money - and nowadays pretty easy to get the materials, too - people generally just go for the more expensive stuff even though the actual performance increase is fairly marginal. People spend ten rolls maxing out G5 modules for an utterly trivial performance increase over putting just two or three G5 rolls in. If you learn to get buy on modules that are only 90% of maximum performance, you have to do far less "grind" to get them - it's the last 10% that needs the "grinding", and people then do that grinding and complain about it whether they actually need that extra 10% or not.

Right, since you said "
    a C-class module with G4 engineering has most of the performance of a G5 A-rated module" I was taking issue with that. Reading above, perhaps that's not what you meant. If you're comparing engineered C with engineered A then yes, you can match certain aspects - though they will still lag behind in other, less key, areas such as heat output or integrity.

I ran with an engineered C class PP for my Python for a long time until I wanted to swap some weapons around and wondered why things were tight. I'd completely forgotten that I had the C class.

So it can be worth doing, just don't do what I did and forget.

Originally Posted by Ian Doncaster View Post (Source)
    6C: 21MW
    6A: 25.2MW
    6C+OC4: 27.9MW
    This results in a thermal efficiency of .60!

Good luck with that.
    6A is .40!

As for the rest?

Credits are generally easier to come by than engineering mats.
    Seems like a terribly inefficient way to go about things.
    Engineering a sub-par component to save credits does not seem like a good idea to me.