Thread: Joypad modifier keys possible?

Joypad modifier keys possible?

On the PS4 version (which is what I've been playing for the last year), you can configure controls such that you can use square, triangle, X or circle as modifiers that you hold down, and then press a second button.

Is there a way to do this on the PC, using a PS4 joypad? I've tried holding down the same button combinations, but it doesn't quite work the same way, so if I press square + left, I end up deploying my hardpoints and diverting power to systems as well as whatever 2-button combination I wanted.

You can, but ideally the shift or modifier button shouldn't do anything.

Should work , as long as you haven't assigned the modifier button to perform any action on its own.

Ok, that makes sense. I expect the mechanic on the PS4 (and presumably Xbox) only exists because of the assumption most will play with a joypad, whereas on the PC, the reverse is true.

I play with a joypad, and I use the A B X Y buttons as modifiers over and above their main functions. If I hold a button down then the next button I hold down activates the desired function. If not then it's when I release the button without pressing anything else that the main function is triggered.

I'm sure that's the same way it works with the consoles. The PC control system was rehauled when the console version of the game came out. I remapped my gamepad to take advantage of the more flexible control system.

Well, if I could get it to work like that, Id be very happy! Im using a PS4 controller with Sonys USB remote. Ill try with it directly attached with a USB cable and see if that makes a difference.

On the consoles, if you hold one of the A/B/X/Y buttons down for more than about half a second and then release, they do nothing at all. A second or more and a small pop-up appears, showing you what subsequent key presses are available for that modifier. Id love for that to be an option, but as I said previously, theres probably no demand for it.

I also get the popup which shows the actions available using the held-down modifier button, but the button still operates its prime function if I press no further keys and just release it. I'm using an XBOne controller I got with my Oculus Rift so my PC experience may be a little on the XBoxy side. I can't confirm if the XBOne suffers the same limitation as the PS4.

It might be a good idea to post this as a bug report, or put it into "Suggestions & Feature Requests". There's always a chance that it could be added at a later date.