Thread: Territory Fights are useless

Territory Fights are useless

No reason to have dinosaurs have territory fights or fights in general when there is no feature of actual territory for dinosaurs.Dinosaurs just roam around the whole enclosure and dont stay in one area so having multiple dinosaurs in one big enclosure does not matter since the carnivores just congregate in one side of the enclosure and keep fighting and roaring at each other. There needs to be a system where a dinosaur claims a territory/area/boundary (which we can see in managerial view) and protects it and mostly stays there and just not wander randomly everywhere.

Originally Posted by Mortal26 View Post (Source)
    No reason to have dinosaurs have territory fights or fights in general when there is no feature of actual territory for dinosaurs.Dinosaurs just roam around the whole enclosure and dont stay in one area so having multiple dinosaurs in one big enclosure does not matter since the carnivores just segregate in one area and keep fighting and roaring at each other. There needs to be a system where a dinosaur claims a territory/area/boundary (which we can see in managerial view) and protects it and mostly stays there and just not wander randomly everywhere.
    I think the whole point of this change isn't segreagation (you can do it manually by fences), but it's just a way of having several dinosaurs together without ending up with just one dinosaur after twenty minutes.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    I think the whole point of this change isn't segreagation (you can do it manually by fences), but it's just a way of having several dinosaurs together without ending up with just one dinosaur after twenty minutes.
    this. I want to make nublar one giant enclosure, and it is better if they randomly are moving over the entire area anyway. then you will see fights and deaths but it shouldn't be crazy overkill and completely unachievable like before the patch.

Like I mentioned before a view of territories for the dinosaurs in the management view would be a good idea to see which dinosaur has claimed which part of the enclosure.With this system it will be also easier for multiple types of carnivores to live together since there will be territories and most of the time dinosaurs wont run into each other and fight unless to protect there territory ,fight for food etc,

The problem is theropods will still beeline to each other and slaughter each other nonstop, which frankly is silly. If an enclosure has, say, enough space and trees that if separate could house them comfortably then they should separate it themselves and just have little border disputes, especially if they're well-fed and watered. Another thing is to tone down the amount of panicking all the dinosaurs do.

Originally Posted by TheMightyMegalosaurus View Post (Source)
    The problem is theropods will still beeline to each other and slaughter each other nonstop, which frankly is silly. If an enclosure has, say, enough space and trees that if separate could house them comfortably then they should separate it themselves and just have little border disputes, especially if they're well-fed and watered. Another thing is to tone down the amount of panicking all the dinosaurs do.
    Completely agree. I had an enclosure half the space of Nublar - the large theropods killed each other in minutes - despite being on the opposite sides when released. Also killed every herbivore present in about 20 mins, despite being full on goat.
    Their behaviour doesn't seem to have changed much at all.

I was also hoping that the behaviour of small carnivores in pens with larger theropods would change to territorial - but there's been no change.
    They just seem to congregate in the same area - even when you make water/food sources at the opposite end of the enclosure - they just end up together - all the time.

Starting to lose all hope in a proper Site B mode here.

It is not that the struggles for territory are useless, it is that they are poorly implemented.

Once a carnivore is defeated by another and flees, the interaction is over and they begin to treat themselves as "friends". They roar among themselves when they approach but nothing else happens. There is no "memory" for the loser that you can not approach the winner.

It would be more realistic to do the same behavior as the examples of large carnivores with the raptors. If the raptors come very close the carnivores roar and flee in panic. This could be implemented once a large carnivore has defeated another in combat and it gets too close to the loser roar and flee. And so every time you approach. Panic for roar intimidation as it was in JPOG.

I honestly the fights to the death of carnivores would only put them when they had no food or goats to eat and were hungry.

I do not know if I've explained myself well, I'm pulling a translator.

Well considering how much territory these huge animals would have, it's impossible to make big enough enclosures to fulfill these needs. A male tiger has about 80 square kilometers of territory. So let's just assume dinosaurs given their larger size and feeding amounts, would have a territory double the amount. 160 square kilometers for one animal... How would you make enclosures that big? Unless it's a Site B.