Thread: Logitech X56 HOTAS: how do I figure out what button is [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3], etc?

Smile Logitech X56 HOTAS: how do I figure out what button is [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3], etc?

The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?

You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which, then go to ED controls settings and fill the functions into the labels. That's what I did.

I could swear there was a program that would do it for you, somewhere around here, maybe somebody will link it.

Originally Posted by Broon View Post (Source)
    You could use the Windows calibration tool. It will let you test function and help you find your buttons.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    You can print this image, go to the windows calibration tool and find out which button is which
    I tried the Windows Calibration Tool and the X56 settings program, and both tools display names for the buttons, like [Trigger] [Pinkey] and [Latch] but the only labels the Elite: Dangerous settings have for the X56 are [JOY 1], [JOY 2] [JOY 3], etc.

So you don't get this window? For instance when I pull the trigger, circle "1" under Buttons lights up designating [Joy1]. Yours says "Trigger"? That's different.

If you download the X56 software from Logitech; open the program and select settings. Once you are in the settings, you can open the "view" tab at the top and change it to "Throttle" or "Stick" and it will show you the respective buttons. You can also click on the buttons and it will take you to the name of the button, rotary, hat, or toggle associated with it and you can also program it from this location as well, though it is much easier to use the in game programming.

This is a useful tool to get an image of your hotas and all it's bindings for ED. You just locate the bindings file and it automatically inserts a graphic of your controls.

https://edrefcard.info/

I don't worry about what button is what number.

Start with a blank bind.
    Ask yourself "what button would be best suited for this function" and you end up knowing most of your keybindings without even memorizing them.

Originally Posted by Broon View Post (Source)
    So you don't get this window? For instance when I pull the trigger, circle "1" under Buttons lights up designating [Joy1]. Yours says "Trigger"? That's different.
    This is what you want OP. Just search for "joystick" in Windows. You'll get a link to the USB game device control panel.

It's very easy to use.

Originally Posted by Branithar View Post (Source)
    The keybindings in Elite’s control settings have [JOY 1], [JOY 2], [JOY 3] and so on. How can I tell what button it is on the controller, since none of the buttons on the HOTAS say [JOY 1]?
    Settings - USB Game Controllers - Choose your x56 - Properties will show you all inputs with the #s

Originally Posted by Avago Earo View Post (Source)
    This is a useful tool to get an image of your hotas and all it's bindings for ED. You just locate the bindings file and it automatically inserts a graphic of your controls.

https://edrefcard.info/
    Thanks for that link! It worked perfectly. I wanted to see what was bound to what, because I kept getting conflicts when I was customizing my controller.

Yep, morons who make software is the special kinda of hell Ive been sent to live in..

Logitech X56 software case in-point, the software calls buttons "A" "B" "Mary had a little lamb" anything but what 'games' will call a button or a switch on their HOTAS

At the moment, been trying to find Joystick 2, which apparently in ED options deploys my SVR turrets ( I only wish) now you think that would be simple using this site https://edrefcard.info/ but no, my binding image does not show JOY STICK 2 as in a name "this is Joystick 2 !" it does show a Rotary wheel saying "Turret Mode" which of course is not called the Rotary wheel in ED options but the XSDFSAF!! axis, only guessing as I have no clue what the wheel of pain is called within ED.

Yet I get the sneaky impression this strangely named "turning wheel" is NOT my Joy stick 2 ! for controlling the SRV Turret deployment, for Joystick Two is the 2nd fire button ( always has been on my planet! )
    where that button is on your HOTAS is the puzzle within the maze

This confusion only came to light ( death ) while at the Guardian site madly scrambling to get the FSD booster before DW2 departs, ( I failed) while been blown all over the shop by missiles, after speaking like a neutered lift operator into Voice Attack /Singularity over and over saying "enter turret" to no avail, I thought to myself, tumbling though the vacuum, "wonder what button on my HOTAS deploys the Turrets", but by then I was running like a Flintstone for my life.

So now Ive "gone a looking" for the HOTAS Turret deployment button, its a deeper mystery than any space alien race could dream up.. No wonder they left, we baffle them with our brilliance

If all else fails I'll just push the "anykey" RED button or remarkably rely on Windows "USB Game Controllers Properties will show you all inputs" which shows buttons as "A" "B" "Mary had a little lamb"..doh!

I always start with a completely empty bind list.

Then do a smidge of method acting and ask myself in what situation would I want, need this, and which button would I push to activate it ?

Doing that, 9 out of 10 situations I don't even need remember the binds, I just either know already or get it right on the first guess.

I needed to run Voice Attack because of VR and I needed to run Singularity as my old Profile would not longer work with all the changes made to the files my Profile relied on.

As a result of the software not working as intended I wont be doing DW2 as Voice attack kept failing with Singularity... and now I'm out of time to get the Guardian Booster

If I do continue with ED, I will no longer be using Voice Attack /Singularity, but going Full HOTAS using EDDI standalone https://github.com/EDCD/EDDI/releases/
    and the G19 app https://apps.magicmau.nl/EliteG19s/EliteG19s-latest.msi so will never have to worry ever again, VR will have to wait until Frontier helps out more in that department