Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Off-topic forum

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Thought about it, but that permits of sleeper account, and ultimately persistent trolling. We'll be revisiting the OT Forum section in the coming months.
    Obviously this is on-topic, but what would you be doing to the off-topic stuff?

Hopefully my query isn't too topical.

Edit: I liked negative rep. You should bring it back every Thursday. Negative rep Thursday would be great fun. Plus it would give the moderators something to do.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #17
    Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)
    Obviously this is on-topic, but what would you be doing to the off-topic stuff?

Hopefully my query isn't too topical.

Edit: I liked negative rep. You should bring it back every Thursday. Negative rep Thursday would be great fun. Plus it would give the moderators something to do.
    Can control negative rep on a per-usergroup basis.

Name:  chrome_2018-10-08_15-15-26.png
Views: 251
Size:  45.3 KB

Current thinking is a dedicated OT forum for the Elite section, also moving the Space section to the ED area as well.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Also, the reputation is so easy to come by, these days that it has lost all meaning.

I was gathering my first 1000 rep points for over a year and I earned and appreciated every single one of them. Now I gained (and redistributed) 5000 reps in a couple of months. And it's not because I became funnier or smarter. Because it doesn't matter, any more.
    It's the same as with credits in Elite.
    That's a bit negative... a much more likely explanation is that there are a lot more people now in the forums, so if you write something that would get 50% of those who read it to give you rep, that 50% is a much bigger number in absolute terms than it used to be.

Originally Posted by Faybs View Post (Source)
    That's a bit negative... a much more likely explanation is that there are a lot more people now in the forums, so if you write something that would get 50% of those who read it to give you rep, that 50% is a much bigger number in absolute terms than it used to be.
    I'm receiving rep from the same group of people, mainly because where I post on the forum. Larger user base doesn't matter in Newcomers and Off-Topic. And my problem mainly is that older user's rep counts for more than newer users, which doesn't make sense.
    It used to be that rep was a reward. (At least for me) Nowadays it's useless, or it's used just for tagging a user you want to return to your conversation...
    (edit: I even asked a couple of notorious rep-sprayers to stop repping, because it weirds me out)

Eh, yeah. I'm being negative and hugely off-topic. Sorry for both.

..............., also moving the Space section ...........
    The what section?

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    The what section?

Astronomy forum, maybe?

Bring back negative rep Boi.

Is it like a forum ASBO?

8. This is the last staff post in this thread. #23
    Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Astronomy forum, maybe?
    Yes, that.

Yes, that.
    You can't get the staff y'know....

Originally Posted by ogrando View Post (Source)
    I see I cant reply in off-topic, and then I read that it is need for a minimum reputation.
    So is there something more specific, how do I know when I can participate in the off-topic section?
    Originally Posted by chuchu_starship View Post (Source)
    I would like to know more about this too.
    Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post (Source)
    Please think of only occasional forum posters (like me).
    I do read a lot of stuff, but I don't post often. I only write stuff when I think I have something important to add.
    And this also may be in OT, and to be frank, not being allowed to post there just because having not aggregated enough rep elsewhere is pretty harsh, imho.
    I often think there should be an opposite limit too, limiting the number of threads one can start per week say. There are certain people who seem to live their lives via the off-topic forum.

However, you guys are really not missing-out on much but you can have some points anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12