Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screen door effect

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    What is the screen door effect? I just got a Vive a few days ago. Man, I’m loving it. It’s not perfect but just being in the cockpit is awesome!
    Screendoor effect is when you can discern individual pixels, like from a projector. It makes the picture look like being viewed through a grid. I am not bothered by it at all tbh, I treat it as a "flavour" of VR. Some people, like OP, hate it. Watch this for some through the lens photos:

What is the screen door effect? I just got a Vive a few days ago. Man, Iím loving it. Itís not perfect but just being in the cockpit is awesome!
    A lot of people don't notice the screen door effect. It's like a scratch on an car that you don't notice until someone points it out to you. I'll wrap spoilers around it if you want to remain blissfully unaware.

look up into a dark part of the Elite world. Don't look out at the scenery, concentrate instead on a kind of filmy gauze that's in front of you. It's like you are viewing the world through a screen door.

What you are seeing is the dark space between the OLED pixels. Because it's a physical space between the pixels there's nothing you can do about. Turning up the gamma, and/or switching to a green HUD which fires off more pixels can reduce the effect.

Another way of dealing with it is to just forget about it, and enjoy the game in full reality-o-vision

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I noticed it, but doesnít bother me at all. I just love being in the ships, SLFs and even the SRV. I actually got out of the SRV and walked around yesterday. Now that was awesome!

Originally Posted by Camlis View Post (Source)
    Turning up "HMD Image Quality" as far up as FPS permit makes visually the most difference imo. Makes everything sharper.
    Regarding Galaxy Map. I used a Controller from the beginning and never had problems with it.
    I agree - I leave ss at 1 and up HMD Image Quality to 1.25 or 1.5 depending on the PC and it makes a huge difference imo.

Originally Posted by Jonny Shiloh View Post (Source)
    I've always flown M+K in ED but thanks, I have an XBone controller which I might try.
    Be sure to set the controls to Default Context, and when you hold A,B,X, or Y down you'll get a nice popup menu!

I also set "both bumpers" used at the same time to set my thrust to 75%, among other tweaks.

And if you customize your controls don't forget to duplicate them so they don't get reset!

Originally Posted by znŰrt View Post (Source)
    the only way is getting used to it. you will if you use it enough, i don't see it anymore. we played on 300x200 resolutions once and had a lot of fun ...
    I was thinking the same thing :-)

SDE isn't noticeable much in ED because it's often too dark.
    you can usually spot it easily against brighter BG such as sky.
    some other games I have the moment I look at the sky I see SDE right away and my HMD has way better resolution than Rift too...

SDE is always there, it is the result of compromises made to make the Rift possible. I don't like it either. However once I am playing the game, especially in battles I completely forget about it. For many here the lower perceived resolution and SDE are worth the incredible immersion. Playing with a HOTAS setup completes the immersion. I only need to touch the keyboard when I want to type in a system name and I only use the touch controllers when I want to use Dash to bring up a netflix window in my cockpit. My biggest peeve is the Galaxy Map. The system map isn't too bad especially since I found the POI (is that what it's called?) tab to the right of the bookmarks tab. I find I go to that most of the time when playing ED on flat screen or in vr now as it is so much easier to use.
    If only there were replacement non Fresnel lenses available for the Rift to cut down the SDE like there is for the Vive.
    OP: have you changed your cockpit colour? It makes a world of difference. Personally I prefer "Dr. Kaii's Spiritual Teal (avatar friendly)" best. Is ED the only game you play in VR? Does SDE bother you in other games and apps as well? Also do you wear glasses even part time? Fresnel lenses apparently give a much broader sweet spot in the center than conventional lenses which brought me to this question: I wonder if current gen VR is better suited to people who move their head around more than their eyes to scan scenes? People who wear glasses tend to move their head more than their eyes.
    All of that said, OP I hope you can learn to like VR but if not that's cool too. Perhaps the next generation will be better suited to your needs.

What is the screen door effect? I just got a Vive a few days ago. Man, Iím loving it. Itís not perfect but just being in the cockpit is awesome!
    VR is amazing isnt it!!???
    if you honestly cant see the SDE then for goodness sake do not look for it. ! it is there, and it is worse on the vive (assuming you mean the standard) than the rift, but as you are not noticing it then that is fantastic. dont risk spoiling it for you.

(a bit like the planet projector my son has on his ceiling. i used to think it was great, then someone pointed out the patterns for how it works and now i just cant unsee it!.)

Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post (Source)
    My biggest peeve is the Galaxy Map. The system map isn't too bad especially since I found the POI (is that what it's called?) tab to the right of the bookmarks tab.
    Another one posting about galaxy map today Stop using mouse to control galaxy map in VR, it is best with a controller. Bindings for reference: https://edrefcard.info/binds/ygfhri google how to use it and you will no longer have problems with it.

PS: didn't want to sound rude - here's the original vid, which explains the concept nicely.
    TL; DW: there is a "snapping" mechanism when using controller which helps a lot.

Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post (Source)
    if you honestly cant see the SDE then for goodness sake do not look for it. ! it is there, and it is worse on the vive (assuming you mean the standard) than the rift, but as you are not noticing it then that is fantastic. dont risk spoiling it for you.

(a bit like the planet projector my son has on his ceiling. i used to think it was great, then someone pointed out the patterns for how it works and now i just cant unsee it!.)
    Lol! Yeah I see it I just didn’t know it was named. Doesn’t bother me at all.

Originally Posted by StarLightPL View Post (Source)
    Another one posting about galaxy map today Stop using mouse to control galaxy map in VR, it is best with a controller. Bindings for reference: https://edrefcard.info/binds/ygfhri google how to use it and you will no longer have problems with it.
    You cut out the part where I said I use a HOTAS, I don't use the mouse.

SDE on the rift is bad. Its SOOO much worse on the vive though because (Reasons!).

I can say the SDR on the vive pro is really a non issue. I cant even really notice it while looking for it in Superhot (which has all white backgrounds)

There are still definite benefits to be had from increasing resolution (alaising comes to mind) so im interested to see the pimax but for now the vive pro has me satisfied and LOVING VR which is something the Rift or original Vive were never able to do

Originally Posted by dmulligan View Post (Source)
    You cut out the part where I said I use a HOTAS, I don't use the mouse.
    Hi
    did you quote me by mistake or have i missed something?

Hi
    did you quote me by mistake or have i missed something?
    Nah he was referring to me.

Reiterating what I said, I like using galaxy map with HOTAS and have no problems using it. I seem to remember minor UI gripes about navigating between UI tabs and a horrible bookmark interface, but that's about it. "Flying" the galmap with hotas is cool for me. It would be immensely cool if they combined it with system map one day, making it into seamless, zoomable orrery (which is not happening I know). But I can imagine it in VR and start salivating at mere thought ;-)

I noticed the SDE with my Vive pretty much straight away, but I was using a barely powerful enough graphics card back then. After upgrading to a 1080 and significantly improve IQ, it's much less noticeable. It tends to be the case that until you start thinking about it, it's not there. I've now got a Vive pro, which is another leap forwared and although SDE is noticeable, it takes a lot of effort on my part to be cognizant of it.

As for the HOTAS - it works quite well when configured but takes a bit to set it up correctly. I actually use a mix of HOTAS and keyboard, but like everything with VR, YMW(ill)V.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast