Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Car Advice!

  1. #1

    Car Advice!

    Hello!

    I could do with some advice I'm likely to ignore. Lol

    I've got an old 2005 Saab 93. It's MOT is due on the 23rd of October. And it will fail on multiple things, mostly suspension (most definitely needs 2 new front shocks, and 2 rear springs. Yay pot holes!), plus possibly front tires, brakes, and then wild card things that I don't know about. So quite a lot. At least 300 worth.
    Plus a few other issues that aren't MOT failures, but need sorting (like my intermittent EML coming on and going in to limp mode. Lol)
    The car isn't worth very much, maybe 400-500 private sale, if that. Or 200 trade in/scrap.
    Other than that. It's a nice car! Lol
    I like driving it, when it works. And it's reliably gotten us to London several times. It only seems to like breaking down in garden centres or on the way to work.
    I've already spent quite a bit on it, new alternator, battery, thermostat, cambelt and water pump kit.


    So I've been trying to find a new car to replace it for 2000~, with no luck.
    (Looking for a nice smallish automatic petrol, at least a 2008, that's not French or Italian. Lol)


    Now, my girlfriend wants to learn to drive, and hates my Saab (it's too big, and too broken). So she offered another 1000 if I get a ...wait for it...

    A Mini, In black, with a white roof, that's automatic and petrol, and at least a 2008, in good condition, from non-smoker, with low miles, that's not stolen or written off.

    Basically they don't exist at that price range.

    Anyhoo. Advice time.

    Do I;
    A) See how much passing the MOT will be, then decide to fix or scrap?

    B) Just scrap it/trade for any suitable-ish car ASAP. (I do enjoy fobbing off dead cars to dodgy dealers!)

    C) Just scrap it until I find a new car, and cycle to work.

    D) Hold out for the magical unicorn mini that's drastically underpriced, but not stolen written off. Lol

    CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

  2. #2
    Go electric. Lease / hire purchase one? Fuel costs are pence.

  3. #3
    Stop throwing good money after bad. Once a used vehicle gets to the point that the annual MOT costs more than it's worth, it's time to move on.

    As for your GF & a mini... I'm trying to find kind words. You'll be hard pressed to get any decent small car for under 3000 that meets that reg & mileage.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    I like SAABs, they're lovely. Too bad it's dead.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Winterwalker View Post (Source)
    Go electric. Lease / hire purchase one? Fuel costs are pence.
    I don't think I can afford that. Plus Shrewsbury is pretty stone age when it comes to electric cars. No one charging station, and I can't charge at home due to lack of parking. Lol
    I did look at a Prius though. But only price range, the battery will only have a few years left on it before a huuuge replacement cost.

    Originally Posted by Ethaidan View Post (Source)
    Stop throwing good money after bad. Once a used vehicle gets to the point that the annual MOT costs more than it's worth, it's time to move on.

    As for your GF & a mini... I'm trying to find kind words. You'll be hard pressed to get any decent small car for under 3000 that meets that reg & mileage.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.
    As for my girlfriend, she doesn't really understand cars and prices just yet.
    Plus I'm the one imposing a 2008 or newer rule. She thinks a 2003 would be ok, because it's a Mini. And minis are popular, therefore, good.

    She owns an iPhone for the same reason. So.... Lol

    Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    It's not a 2008, nor low miles, but....

    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01807148434219
    My word! It's a long way, but it's pretty much perfect except the age. Maybe I need to widen my search beyond 100 miles.
    91k isn't too bad. My Saab had very low miles for its year, then everything broke, so... Lol

    Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    I like SAABs, they're lovely. Too bad it's dead.
    I actually love my Saab. It's comfy, fast, economical, handles well (even with borked suspension) has mostly working heated leather seats, parking sensors (perfect for where I live)... Lol
    But it's not really worth fixing.

    If it wasn't for my girlfriend, I'd actually just buy a newer one. Lol

    CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

  7. #7
    My advice depends on your skill and finances:

    A large percentage of guys are good with tools, and if you're one of those guys and finances are tight, just repair it yourself. I replaced the rear spring/strut on my son's car a couple of months back and it's wasn't that bad. Other things like brakes are pretty easy to replace (I do them all the time myself.)

    On the other hand, if you don't own any tools or don't have the knowledge to work on cars, and your finances are tight, then look at buying a used car or trading in your car at a dealer for a used car.

    Finally, if you have some extra income and a good stable job, and public transport is not available, I would suggest getting a newer reliable car even if you need to take out a small car loan. The though process being, if you can't get to work to make money you'll be homeless and starving, so getting back and forth to work is job number 1.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Get a P50. Greatest car ever.

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    I don't think I can afford that. Plus Shrewsbury is pretty stone age when it comes to electric cars. No one charging station, and I can't charge at home due to lack of parking. Lol
    I did look at a Prius though. But only price range, the battery will only have a few years left on it before a huuuge replacement cost.
    True stuff. Though I suppose you could see if you can set a precedent with your local planners, work out with them how to route power from your house over (or under) the pavement, a nice little engineering challenge too.

    I think I might be right in saying we're a generation who grew up with the idea of car 'ownership' but - though I don't run a car myself, used to do 40k miles a year for work - I think lease arrangements are a very interesting idea while the technology is in flux.

    Try haggling on price I would. Having you signed up for a year at even 15 or 20% discount is worth more to a company like that than not having you signed up at all because they can brag about their electric car credentials as a result? Having secure employment is important when it comes to signing the contract though of course.

  10. #10
    Trade girlfriend in, get another Saab.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Greylock View Post (Source)
    My advice depends on your skill and finances:

    A large percentage of guys are good with tools, and if you're one of those guys and finances are tight, just repair it yourself. I replaced the rear spring/strut on my son's car a couple of months back and it's wasn't that bad. Other things like brakes are pretty easy to replace (I do them all the time myself.)

    On the other hand, if you don't own any tools or don't have the knowledge to work on cars, and your finances are tight, then look at buying a used car or trading in your car at a dealer for a used car.

    Finally, if you have some extra income and a good stable job, and public transport is not available, I would suggest getting a newer reliable car even if you need to take out a small car loan. The though process being, if you can't get to work to make money you'll be homeless and starving, so getting back and forth to work is job number 1.

    Good luck!
    I'm pretty rubbish with mechanics. Plus I don't have anywhere to work on a car, or any tools. Lol

    I've already got a loan, originally for 5000, mostly to pay off credit debt (from fixing my car... lol) that was extortionate, and buy a few things we desperately needed, and I was hoping to be left with a bit more, but I spent it. Lol

    Worst case scenario is I end up with no car, but work is only 2.1 miles away, so I can cycle. Which is fine, until winter when it'll be too cold and icy to cycle, but I could catch the bus temporarily (I do have a mild phobia of catching busses... Lol)
    And due to traffic, cycling is often quicker anyway.

    CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

  12. #12
    Personaly id get rid of the saab if its become a problem. However there are dedicated saab breakers who can sort out the bits you need or vauxhall vectra parts will do.
    If you scrap it and are looking for another i can whole heartedly recommend any of the VW range as they go for ever and are very comfy, i got rid of an 06 passat estate which was a great workhorse and am now cruising round in a 2014 vw cc gt is great especially with the DSG gear box

  13. #13
    Originally Posted by Batterby76 View Post (Source)
    Personaly id get rid of the saab if its become a problem. However there are dedicated saab breakers who can sort out the bits you need or vauxhall vectra parts will do.
    If you scrap it and are looking for another i can whole heartedly recommend any of the VW range as they go for ever and are very comfy, i got rid of an 06 passat estate which was a great workhorse and am now cruising round in a 2014 vw cc gt is great especially with the DSG gear box
    Heh, the other car my girlfriend wants is a Beetle. But I only like the new new shape. And I can't afford one of those.

    Although, I'd quite happily have a classic Beetle again.

    CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    Heh, the other car my girlfriend wants is a Beetle. But I only like the new new shape. And I can't afford one of those.
    How about a lease take over? The new new secondhand market ..
    https://www.bankrate.com/loans/auto-...se-assumption/

    I guess might be a stretch to find a high mileage electric vehicle in 2018, but soon ..
    You might find a hybrid?

  15. #15
    Love old vws. Miss my karman ghia and my mk1 golf cab big time in the summer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast