Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Advice!

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    I'm pretty rubbish with mechanics. Plus I don't have anywhere to work on a car, or any tools. Lol

I've already got a loan, originally for 5000, mostly to pay off credit debt (from fixing my car... lol) that was extortionate, and buy a few things we desperately needed, and I was hoping to be left with a bit more, but I spent it. Lol

Worst case scenario is I end up with no car, but work is only 2.1 miles away, so I can cycle. Which is fine, until winter when it'll be too cold and icy to cycle, but I could catch the bus temporarily (I do have a mild phobia of catching busses... Lol)
    And due to traffic, cycling is often quicker anyway.

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense.

Another option would be to sell the car to someone handy, put the money in savings, and take the bus for a time while you consider all your options?

The upside is no more car fixing bills while during that time, and you could play videos games or read while riding the bus :-)

Best of luck!!!

o7

Hello!

I could do with some advice I'm likely to ignore. Lol

I've got an old 2005 Saab 93. It's MOT is due on the 23rd of October. And it will fail on multiple things, mostly suspension (most definitely needs 2 new front shocks, and 2 rear springs. Yay pot holes!), plus possibly front tires, brakes, and then wild card things that I don't know about. So quite a lot. At least 300 worth.
    Plus a few other issues that aren't MOT failures, but need sorting (like my intermittent EML coming on and going in to limp mode. Lol)
    The car isn't worth very much, maybe 400-500 private sale, if that. Or 200 trade in/scrap.
    Other than that. It's a nice car! Lol
    I like driving it, when it works. And it's reliably gotten us to London several times. It only seems to like breaking down in garden centres or on the way to work.
    I've already spent quite a bit on it, new alternator, battery, thermostat, cambelt and water pump kit.

So I've been trying to find a new car to replace it for 2000~, with no luck.
    (Looking for a nice smallish automatic petrol, at least a 2008, that's not French or Italian. Lol)

Now, my girlfriend wants to learn to drive, and hates my Saab (it's too big, and too broken). So she offered another 1000 if I get a ...wait for it...

A Mini, In black, with a white roof, that's automatic and petrol, and at least a 2008, in good condition, from non-smoker, with low miles, that's not stolen or written off.

Basically they don't exist at that price range.

Anyhoo. Advice time.

Do I;
    A) See how much passing the MOT will be, then decide to fix or scrap?

B) Just scrap it/trade for any suitable-ish car ASAP. (I do enjoy fobbing off dead cars to dodgy dealers!)

C) Just scrap it until I find a new car, and cycle to work.

D) Hold out for the magical unicorn mini that's drastically underpriced, but not stolen written off. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead
    I've replied to you about this before... https://www.lookers.co.uk/dacia/new-...sandero-offer/

Originally Posted by Batterby76 View Post (Source)
    Love old vws. Miss my karman ghia and my mk1 golf cab big time in the summer.
    Both of those are great vehicles.

@OP: Forget the Mini and get a Golf.

hmm try a cobra mk III, better than a cortina mk II...

Originally Posted by Trickylion View Post (Source)
    hmm try a cobra mk III, better than a cortina mk II...
    Yes it's not the same category

Hello!

I could do with some advice I'm likely to ignore. Lol

I've got an old 2005 Saab 93. It's MOT is due on the 23rd of October. And it will fail on multiple things, mostly suspension (most definitely needs 2 new front shocks, and 2 rear springs. Yay pot holes!), plus possibly front tires, brakes, and then wild card things that I don't know about. So quite a lot. At least 300 worth.
    Plus a few other issues that aren't MOT failures, but need sorting (like my intermittent EML coming on and going in to limp mode. Lol)
    The car isn't worth very much, maybe 400-500 private sale, if that. Or 200 trade in/scrap.
    Other than that. It's a nice car! Lol
    I like driving it, when it works. And it's reliably gotten us to London several times. It only seems to like breaking down in garden centres or on the way to work.
    I've already spent quite a bit on it, new alternator, battery, thermostat, cambelt and water pump kit.

So I've been trying to find a new car to replace it for 2000~, with no luck.
    (Looking for a nice smallish automatic petrol, at least a 2008, that's not French or Italian. Lol)

Now, my girlfriend wants to learn to drive, and hates my Saab (it's too big, and too broken). So she offered another 1000 if I get a ...wait for it...

A Mini, In black, with a white roof, that's automatic and petrol, and at least a 2008, in good condition, from non-smoker, with low miles, that's not stolen or written off.

Basically they don't exist at that price range.

Anyhoo. Advice time.

Do I;
    A) See how much passing the MOT will be, then decide to fix or scrap?

B) Just scrap it/trade for any suitable-ish car ASAP. (I do enjoy fobbing off dead cars to dodgy dealers!)

C) Just scrap it until I find a new car, and cycle to work.

D) Hold out for the magical unicorn mini that's drastically underpriced, but not stolen written off. Lol

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead
    I'm normally the optimist but one thing to consider is if your gf fails her test, and fails again :-) You could be stuck with her choice of car but not her driving ! (happened to me once..)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123