Thread: The failed long range courier FDS project

The failed long range courier FDS project

After having spend most of my time in a Krait since it's introduction I got that stupid idea to make a long range FDS.

Should be easy. Make it lightweight, add DDT5 and a class 5 guardian FS booster and enjoy a fast and long range Dropship.
    Oh, in my dreams I used it for long range passenger missions, just flying around in one of the most beautiful ships in the galaxy (tactical graphite paint job) and being just awesome.

The first indication that something wouldn't go the way I expected it to happen was when I used my heavy duty, sturdy and overweight modded FDS to collect some modules for the cheap FDS hull I had in storage from that last "get Fed ship cheap" event. 30 ly jump-range - certainly not bad, but worryingly close to the jump range of my stripped down exploration FDS.
    Yeah, that should have been an other hit that my project was doomed. I already had a "long range" FDS and it isn't that long range at all (34 ly).

Now I have wasted quite a lot of materials for all the mods and the result is a FDS with 3 ly longer jump-range and 25 m/s faster boost than my extremely durable tank FDS - while being having no shields to talk about and really weak hull.

LOL. And I knew that weight doesn't matter with the FDS. It's the only ship I know where weight simply doesn't matter (that much). It just drifts, has a low jump range and is slow no matter what I do.

Now I need a good name for my new FDS and then I can fly around in the total awesomeness that is my short range courier FDS

TL;DR: Not every idea is a good idea.

I too have bought and upgraded a turkey, i feel for you CMDR.

As a name “Turgid”?

Hey I like the FDS. But as a long range vessel? That was never going to work out well. Maybe better luck making a trader from a cheiftain. I turned my FDS into a service truck for wing mates. It's not glamorous but it is fully operational.

FNS Storage1

A good place to store failed engineering experiments I can't bring myself to sell

Originally Posted by Trollymctrollerson View Post (Source)
    Hey I like the FDS. But as a long range vessel? That was never going to work out well.…
    I really like the FDS, I have 4 of them.

That "long range" idea was the result of space madness.

I turned it into a short range passenger liner - "the top of the low 1% of liners out there" some nice and comfortable economic cabins. Somebody has to transport all those not so wealthy passengers willing to spend millions for a short trip.

Currentltly the FDS is mostly just good for module storage. It might be a good ship for the new mining mechanics in Q4.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    Currentltly the FDS is mostly just good for module storage. It might be a good ship for the new mining mechanics in Q4.
    What? FDS is awesome. If you want an armed trader/mission runner better than Asp that isn't a Python, FDS is great!
    Naturally you have to run it properly, in the imperial white.

Originally Posted by CMDR Zadian Lichtfrost View Post (Source)
    I really like the FDS, I have 4 of them.

That "long range" idea was the result of space madness.

I turned it into a short range passenger liner - "the top of the low 1% of liners out there" some nice and comfortable economic cabins. Somebody has to transport all those not so wealthy passengers willing to spend millions for a short trip.

You can use it to play the "Top 1%" drinking game.

1. Find a well populated system with an Interstellar Factor within jump range. (This is important)
    2. Fly around the well populated system with an open bottle of booze and a cheap shot glass by your consul.
    3. Every time you "hear" any message from any cruise ship (except the "Top 1%" message) take a hit of booze.
    4. If you hear the "Top 1%"message scream at the monitor "I'M THE TOP 1%" rip the ship out of SC and destroy it and all aboard. Then take 2 shots. Note: You can't jump away from system authority ships until you've finished the 2 shots.
    5. Back into SC and repeat until booze is finished or you can only see a vomit inducing blur instead of a monitor.