Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How much is a PC that will play this?

Originally Posted by hypervoodoo77 View Post (Source)
    I know it is bought the exact same pc myself as a media center and for fun.
    I also own a Xbox Which is more or less the same as PS4 and the pc delivers much better quality with the gt 1030 but we are talking 1080p here and the original Xbox or PS4.
    It won't beat a Xbox one or a ps4 pro but it's a very underappreciated little card price performance is great.
    Ah, OK, I was not aware that the PS4 Pro is that much more powerful.
    The 960 4gb (which is on parity vs. 1050ti) did struggle a bit in Elite around planetary bases, so it is difficult to believe the 1030 is adequate running Elite - i.e. that a standard PS4 runs Elite.

You are looking at something like 1060 to match/outperform current gen consoles. It's also a matter of matching graphics settings as closely as possible for a fair comparison. Testing on ultra settings might not indicate anything, since many console games don't run on anything even close to that.

A couple of things to bear in mind when comparing numbers:

* A PS4/XBox runs a very minimalistic OS optimised to give the game process most of the system resources.

* The entire hardware on a console is optimised for gaming. So for example, the memory bandwidth of the PS4's GPU is significantly higher than on comparable PC GPU's

* The OP will _likely_ want to run additional software while playing Elite on PC; such as EDDiscovery or VoiceAttack etc.; so quite apart from the not insignificant OS overheads from Win10, they'll want to factor in a little headroom.

* The OP will have to decide what their upgrade path will be. Either they buy as-cheap-as-possible right now to get good-enough performance, with the caveat that they might have to replace the lot (MB, RAM, CPU) for the next step, or shell out a bit more and future-proof their motherboard/RAM so they get the CPU socket and chipset supporting their future path. Both approaches are valid depending on circumstances and there's no clear-cut way to say which will be cheaper (for example, by the time the OP is ready for the next step, the next step may have become reasonably cheap on the second-hand market).

So just comparing HW specs is NOT going to give a realistic impression on final performance on PC vis-a-vis a console.

PS. I only mentioned my setup and the anecdotal performance I'm getting out of it as a comparison with my old hardware (which is very cheap nowadays); I wasn't trying to suggest the OP should go for a i7/1080 combo, and it showed that my old HW was sufficient for a pretty good gaming experience for ED (I was running at higher-than 1080p on it).

I built my current system for less than $400 about a month ago, and it plays Elite, as well as most modern games, on high to max settings (@ 1080p) without issue.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Hexacore Processor (3.5Ghz)
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte LMT-78-USB3 R2 (version 760G)
    RAM: 24 GB DDR3 1333
    STORAGE: 2 TB 7200 RPM Hitachi HDD
    OPTICAL: 24x External DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive
    GRAPHICS: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 1050 GTX (2 GB VRAM)
    MONITOR: Sceptre 24" 75hz Ultra-slim LED Monitor
    POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 450w 80+ Bronze Series
    INPUT: Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo
    AUDIO: Onn USB speakers

Originally Posted by Coloratura View Post (Source)
    I built my current system for less than $400 about a month ago, and it plays Elite, as well as most modern games, on high to max settings (@ 1080p) without issue.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Hexacore Processor (3.5Ghz)
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte LMT-78-USB3 R2 (version 760G)
    RAM: 24 GB DDR3 1333
    STORAGE: 2 TB 7200 RPM Hitachi HDD
    OPTICAL: 24x External DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive
    GRAPHICS: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 1050 GTX (2 GB VRAM)
    MONITOR: Sceptre 24" 75hz Ultra-slim LED Monitor
    POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 450w 80+ Bronze Series
    INPUT: Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo
    AUDIO: Onn USB speakers
    Less than $ 400 is a good deal.

Thanks for all the responses. It gave me a base to start learning off of.
    I went looking through my local craigslist and found this. Talked him down to $450.
    Sound good? It should be noted that I will be playing horizons.

Windows 10 Home
    i5 4690k@4.5ghz
    GTX 1060 3GB
    16 GB of RAM
    500 GB SSD
    600 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU

Originally Posted by dizzoballs View Post (Source)
    Thanks for all the responses. It gave me a base to start learning off of.
    I went looking through my local craigslist and found this. Talked him down to $450.
    Sound good? It should be noted that I will be playing horizons.

Windows 10 Home
    i5 4690k@4.5ghz
    GTX 1060 3GB
    16 GB of RAM
    500 GB SSD
    600 Watt 80+ Bronze PSU
    You should be really happy with that. The 1060 is OK, the 3GB version is not as good as the 6GB but will run Horizons no problem - you can fit a better card when you feel like it, the machine will handle it.

Core i7 920 (yes board, cpu, and RAM from 2008) with gtx 1060 6gb card Win7, and everything works great.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345