Thread: I just found the real problem behind Elite: Dangerous's many faults

I just found the real problem behind Elite: Dangerous's many faults

Frontier Developments just posted a tweet of a picture of all their employees. Something was a bit off. The picture was a bit too bright, and white. Then I noticed there were no black people! "This couldn't be..." I thought. So I checked every single face, one by one, and sure enough, there were no black people.

FD, this is why the focus of ED has been so single minded. You need more diversity and diverse minds in that workplace.

Many studies have been done that show a diverse workplace performs better, and is happier, than a non-diverse workplace. Hiring different minds would make a significantly better product and a better environment.

For those of you who think this is about race, it's not. People tend to stick to what they know. And this is probably what happened to FD. They probably didn't even know it happened to them! Now that I'm pointing it out, something should be done to improve diversity in FD. It can only make a better product and a better place to work.

And what's up with that single Asian person dressed in green in the front? She looks like she's 12! What the heck, Frontier?! Is it legal for minors to work full time in the UK?

And I see you Braben! Don't hide!

How many employees?

Edit: oh sorry i see there is a link to the pic. That is quite weird actually as there seem to be quite a few employees.

Link to these studies?

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)

And what's up with that single Asian person dressed in green in the front? She looks like she's 12! What the heck, Frontier?! Is it legal for minors to work full time in the UK?
    I don't know if that is racist or sexist.

Originally Posted by CMDR Zadian Lichtfrost View Post (Source)
    I don't know if that is racist or sexist.
    Or ageist. That bit of his post undermined an otherwise interesting point. It does seem very white there.

Here in the Netherlands you wouldn't get away with that, with so many employees.

Be nice to see a more mixed workforce.

Originally Posted by amadeus1171 View Post (Source)
    Frontier Developments just posted a tweet of a picture of all their employees. Something was a bit off. The picture was a bit too bright, and white. Then I noticed there were no black people! "This couldn't be..." I thought. So I checked every single face, one by one, and sure enough, there were no black people.

FD, this is why the focus of ED has been so single minded. You need more diversity and diverse minds in that workplace.

Many studies have been done that show a diverse workplace performs better, and is happier, than a non-diverse workplace. Hiring different minds would make a significantly better product and a better environment.

For those of you who think this is about race, it's not. People tend to stick to what they know. And this is probably what happened to FD. They probably didn't even know it happened to them! Now that I'm pointing it out, something should be done to improve diversity in FD. It can only make a better product and a better place to work.

And I see you Braben! Don't hide!
    Diversity of mind has absolutely zero to do with skin colour.

Leave the sjw crap at the door.

There's no way to know anything about the diversity of the group by using skin colour alone.

Originally Posted by Z0mbieBabyJesus View Post (Source)
    Diversity of mind has absolutely zero to do with skin colour.

Leave the sjw crap at the door.
    Diversity of mind correlates to culture, and some culture divided by color.

No, just no. Do not sjw this game and game company.

Originally Posted by BDelacroix View Post (Source)
    No, just no. Do not sjw this game and game company.
    It is not about sjw, and btw, sjw is a pejorative term. It's about improving the company by increasing diversity. Why are people taking this post in a direction it wasn't meant to go? In the post I *specifically* said it wasn't about race. So don't make it about race. It's about diversity.

Hi all, as you're aware, discussion of FD employees is not permitted on the forums, and I'd hate for anyone to get into trouble.

I may point out that FD are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from any suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy and maternity. Those who doubt this fact would be well served checking https://www.frontier.co.uk/careers where all vacancies are posted. You're always welcome to refer any friends or colleagues that may be knowledgeable in a particular field also.

Thanks,
    S.