Thread: HRES and multi cannon

HRES and multi cannon

Decided to give fighting another go.

Ran into two issues.

1) I got two kills in on the HRES I got to (yeah, I shot someone). The RES then seemed to empty. I mode switched, hopped in and out, nothing there to fight. Evac'd and went back... nothing. Went to another HRES in the same ring, again nothing. Same for LRES sites. What am I doing wrong?

2) My gimballed multi-cannon won't fire. My laser is fine. I have the fire groups all set as well as the controls. I've switched the lasers and cannons in those controls but the cannon just doesn't fire. I'm stumped on this one so any pointers would be most welcome!

On a positive note, I made 300K!

Originally Posted by Tyres O'Flaherty View Post (Source)
    Decided to give fighting another go.

Ran into two issues.

1) I got two kills in on the HRES I got to (yeah, I shot someone). The RES then seemed to empty. I mode switched, hopped in and out, nothing there to fight. Evac'd and went back... nothing. Went to another HRES in the same ring, again nothing. Same for LRES sites. What am I doing wrong?

2) My gimballed multi-cannon won't fire. My laser is fine. I have the fire groups all set as well as the controls. I've switched the lasers and cannons in those controls but the cannon just doesn't fire. I'm stumped on this one so any pointers would be most welcome!

On a positive note, I made 300K!
    No idea about the spawn I'm afraid. I'd have thought that resetting the instance would reset the spawn, but it sounds as though it didn't do much... Perhaps the BGS state of the system is influencing the RES populations?

Regarding your multi-cannons not firing, could it be that they don't have line of sight to the target because part of your ship is in the way? What ship are you using and where have you put the multi's? For example, when you have a weapon on a hardpoint below the nose of a ship such as an FDL or Viper, if the target is far enough above you then the weapon won't fire because it would be shooting through your ship.

I'm in a Vulture. So, do multi cannons need a target to fire? Lasers don't appeat to. Both weapons are gimballed.

You don't need a target for the weapon to fire, unless it's turreted and not set to fire ahead. MC's do need to spin up before they fire though (with the exception of the Huge ones) so you'll need to hold the fire button down for a second or two before it opens up. The only other thing I can think of right now is that there's a dodgy setting within your fire groups or power allocation. Unengineered, the Vulture has power issues so it may be that the MC doesn't have enough power when hardpoints are deployed.

Long range sensors, move about a lot.
    Particularly above/below the asteroid belt.
    Sometimes it's just slim pickings.

I'm in a Vulture. So, do multi cannons need a target to fire? Lasers don't appeat to. Both weapons are gimballed.
    Well, I just tried it out for you with nothing targeted...

A large MC does indeed take a few seconds to spin up, so it's possible that you just didn't hold the button long enough?

If that's not the case then I can only think of two things. Either you mistakenly disabled your MC in the modules tab (or set it to a very low priority where it gets disabled by the ship), or you have depleted your WEP capacitor by trying your laser and not given it time to recharge enough. Under normal circumstances, with hardpoints deployed many other modules would have been turned off by the ship before a weapon and you'd likely be on life support.

Thanks all! I'll take a look

Actually... is the MC a good choice? Would something else be better for me given my rookieness at combat?

Thanks all! I'll take a look

Actually... is the MC a good choice? Would something else be better for me given my rookieness at combat?
    The MC is a fine weapon for the less experienced commander, though the lag due to spin up when starting to shoot is disconcerting at times.

A pair of pulse lasers is all you need for a Vulture in a high RES. It saves a lot of messing about with ammo and fire-groups. Go to a high RES where there's plenty of action, like LTT 15574, Brani, Freng or Kremainn.

Two large HP's on a Vulture as I remember? I love a gimballed multi cannon and would heartily recommend at least one if the Vulture takes large hardpoints. Infact, my respect for a combination of beam lasers and multi cannons is such that I haven't tried enough other weapon combinations. If your Vulture has enough power its a great combination to take down shields (energy weapon) and then hull (kinetic weapon....or both if you just enjoy being a big meanie)

When thinking of putting together a combat ship, even just adding weapons to a current ship Coriolis and EDShipyard are absolute 'musts' to give yourself an idea of the power output and useage, what can be turned off (put on power allocation 5) and how long your weapons will fire for against different ships, with different pips settings and the same for your shields. It saves a huge amount of time, credits and frustration. Plus, as I found, it's a great way to get to understand combat outfitting which was for me one of the most complex things in the game.

Regarding your misfiring multi cannons - without wishing to appear insulting....you did buy ammunition? I've done it myself more then once, everyone talks about limpets but I've forgotten ammo too.

HiRES have been terrible. I have been lucky to get a god roll on the RNG a couple times (Conda heaven), but the respawn dries up after a half hour or so so even the god roll stinks.
    It appears to me Fdev is trying to balance the spawn for all ship sizes so theres an assortment of targets instead of large ship/small ship spawns.

Edit for clarity; Because my instances are almost always a mix of ship sizes now. Instead of pre 3.0 I was getting instances with only large ships.

It's also "my observation" that the there is a limit on the number of objects in your instance. For example, I just kill several ships and the whole area is filled with floating mats and cargo but no new ship spawns.
    If I move away from the mats and cargo till many are out of range, I notice a wanted ship or two suddenly appear on the scope.
    So when they tell you to move around in the RES, it actually works to help respawn targets.

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    The MC is a fine weapon for the less experienced commander, though the lag due to spin up when starting to shoot is disconcerting at times.
    The large MCs are pretty rough with that spin up time for sure. That said, one of my favorite Vulture builds is two multicannons - save that sweet distributor energy for weapons and engines. Two large pulse lasers are very good (make sure to sub-target modules like Power Plants!), like others have said.

Went the two lasers route for now. That seems to work for me at the moment.