Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question! Odd PC Behaviour

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    Potentially hell yes!
    Is there an easy solution to reattaching the SB heatsink? It doesn't seem to be held on by anything so I assume it uses some form of adhesive?

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    My friend had the weirdest lock-up problem ever. From time to time it would do that and we were diagnosing it for the longest time.

Turned out to be static electricity! The problem was that he had the PSU on rubber spacers because of the noise and vibrations (? ...don't ask me why) and thanks to that, the case was actually not grounded. He had the case on the ground on a carpet and they also have a cat, though we're not sure if she had something to do with it, but simply, once in a while the case would zap the motherboard and whole thing would lock up. It was very bizzare.

Good luck with finding the culprit, Spacehead. It's always a pain and the only reliable way to diagnose it is to swap all components, one at the time and observing. Very annoying.
    I sadly have a lot in common with that tale.

My PC is on the carpeted floor, with a bottom mounted PSU, and I have a cat.

However!
    My PC is on a wooden blank, on the carpet.
    The PSU is earthed well (metal on metal), and all my fans are filtered.
    And there's not really enough room for my cat to mess.

It's probably the SB heatsink, could be overheating... Doesn't explain why it does it when the PC is quite cool though.

The very first thing I always do when I encounter problems like this is to re-install the Windows. It might be a malware and Windows even have the tendency to break themselves, sometimes. W10 have the option to "reset to factory defaults", like the phones, do, which basically means a re-install, so it's easier than, say, Windows 7
    Maybe you could try this, first.

Maybe do a ScanDisk of the boot disk with Windows DOS ?

I have already had this kind of problem several times and often ScanDisk repaired.

Otherwise I have an image of my disk, thus I reinstall the image, what avoids me installing everything again manually.

You can reattach a heatsink with double sided tape or glue provided it's a really thin layer, it's not how you're supposed to do it but better than having it floating about. If you pop glue at the ends and thermal compound in the middle that would work even better. Thermal adhesive is about 2 on ebay if you want to get really serious.

Originally Posted by Dural View Post (Source)
    You can reattach a heatsink with double sided tape or glue provided it's a really thin layer, it's not how you're supposed to do it but better than having it floating about. If you pop glue at the ends and thermal compound in the middle that would work even better. Thermal adhesive is about 2 on ebay if you want to get really serious.
    I recently bought some thermally conductive double-sided tape in a local PC shop. It's quite cheap, though mine is metallic, which means it also conducts electricity so one must be careful with the size so it doesn't touch nearby surface-mounted components.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    I recently bought some thermally conductive double-sided tape in a local PC shop. It's quite cheap, though mine is metallic, which means it also conducts electricity so one must be careful with the size so it doesn't touch nearby surface-mounted components.
    Might have to Google that stuff. Could be the cause of my random freezes if the SB is overheating. And I'd rather it didn't drop off anyway. Lol

Incidentally, my PC was absolutely fine today. Showing 8Gb ram, and ran perfectly smoothly.

Although constant Windows updates are slowly eating my SSD space... Might have to move ED back to my HDD when 3.3 goes live... Lol

Whenever that's occurred to me, it has always been a fault of the OS drive not being recognized for whatever reason from; a bad setting in BIOS, a dead mobo battery resetting the BIOS (which messes up the BIOS settings), a dead cable, a dead SATA channel, or a dead drive.

Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    Although constant Windows updates are slowly eating my SSD space... Might have to move ED back to my HDD when 3.3 goes live... Lol
    Have you done a Disk Cleanup, with Cleanup System Files enabled, on your C: drive?

Also, I'd suggest CCleaner (free version, watch out you don't accidentally install Avast) for other temp file removal and registry clean-up.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    Have you done a Disk Cleanup, with Cleanup System Files enabled, on your C: drive?

Also, I'd suggest CCleaner (free version, watch out you don't accidentally install Avast) for other temp file removal and registry clean-up.
    I did... Lol

Windows just keeps growing...

Admittedly it's a tiny SSD. I think some other large applications are on there too.

I'll run CCleaner next time I'm on it, haven't done one in a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12