Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Escaping from a non-dominant position

Originally Posted by Sylow View Post (Source)
    .......... Just a small comment also on the heatsink: using heatsinks does nothing against missiles which are already on way. .......
    Are you sure about that? I don't know as I have not tested it but as they are heat-seeking missiles it seems logical that dropping a hot metal object in its path whilst reducing your ship's heat-signature would cause it to lose lock on your ship. If it doesn't work like that then I'd like to know what magic F D are invoking to keep the seeker missile locked-on to the ship.

(Yes I know it is dangerous to make logical assumptions in this game. )

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Are you sure about that? I don't know as I have not tested it but as they are heat-seeking missiles it seems logical that dropping a hot metal object in its path whilst reducing your ship's heat-signature would cause it to lose lock on your ship. If it doesn't work like that then I'd like to know what magic F D are invoking to keep the seeker missile locked-on to the ship.

(Yes I know it is dangerous to make logical assumptions in this game. )
    Logic is not always the main thing in this game. Also, do we know that it's a heat lock? The missiles could just as well be radar guided, missile guided or be using some other method. By all we know, it could lock on a power plants electromagnetic emission.
    And on if I am sure: While I was along with some others who tested missiles in the 2.2 beta, I was not along when people tested breaking the lock. I only got told that they didn't manage to break an already fired missiles lock with heat sinks, but did not confirm that myself. If you feel like testing this, add me to your in-game friends list and we'll find some time when you fire missiles at me and I try to heatsink them away.

Originally Posted by Sylow View Post (Source)
    Logic is not always the main thing in this game. Also, do we know that it's a heat lock? The missiles could just as well be radar guided, missile guided or be using some other method. By all we know, it could lock on a power plants electromagnetic emission.
    And on if I am sure: While I was along with some others who tested missiles in the 2.2 beta, I was not along when people tested breaking the lock. I only got told that they didn't manage to break an already fired missiles lock with heat sinks, but did not confirm that myself. If you feel like testing this, add me to your in-game friends list and we'll find some time when you fire missiles at me and I try to heatsink them away.
    From the WIKI:

"Seeker missiles are not affected by chaff, as they lock onto the heat signature of your target."

... I might give it a go between a couple of my accounts when I feel the urge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12