Page 15 of 15 First 11131415

Thread: Fuel Costs - Dp they need to be adjusted?

Originally Posted by wstephenson View Post (Source)
    So, status quo. I don't see what cheesenbiscuits thinks I'm suggesting. If he's indulging in a spot of boosted canyon racing whilst out exploring, I'd humbly suggest that the greater risk than fuel depletion comes from misjudging a turn and forgetting that shields are off (As happened to my Asp, the Black Francis I, somewhere out past Nyx).
    Well there are two general suggestions in this thread - one tackles the cost of refuelling at a station, and the other tackles fuel consumption. Fuel consumption (as a mechanism) works pretty well, and significantly increasing it (for larger ships/FSDs say) has a potential downside whereas significantly increasing the cost to refuel at a station doesn't.

It also occurred to me that the new exploration mechanism may reduce the max potential time spend searching a system to hours at the most. Nevertheless raising fuel consumption would likely have a detrimental effect on more playstyles than raising refuelling cost (assuming both changes are related to equipment).

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    Fuel consumption (as a mechanism) works pretty well, and significantly increasing it (for larger ships/FSDs say) has a potential downside whereas significantly increasing the cost to refuel at a station doesn't.
    Maybe there's a misunderstanding there that I had suggested increasing the 'FSD on' energy consumption rate - I hadn't. I was thinking more of having the power plant consume less fuel when it is under 100% loaded, and change load dynamically when charging power distributor capacitors capacitors.

Originally Posted by cheesenbiscuits View Post (Source)
    And the cmdr’s who run out of fuel before they even get half way to Hutton?
    You’d also render some systems unexplorable due to the distances involved.
    From an exploration point of view I’d say the fuel consumption is pretty well balanced.
    I don't think anyone proposed that a full tank (or even a half-tank for that matter) wouldn't last a trip to Hutton or to one of the other huge systems out there, regardless of ship.

Also even assuming that you take your combat behemoth to Hutton (I don't know why, you can't land it, but whatever), regular supercruise wouldn't consume so much. Last time I checked you can't boost in SC, or fire your weapons, or have your shields depleted...

Again, no one is proposing that small ships or exploration ships arbitrarily get an enormous fuel consumption requiring a refuel or scoop every 5 minutes. That's how you make it sound. We just want fuel to be more than a meaningless button click when you dock.

Originally Posted by Weps View Post (Source)
    Ship size. In fact ship model specific. And nothing to do with the FSD, when I say regular flight consumption I mean the consumption you see in lower right part of the HUD, the amount of fuel your ship guzzles up just by not having its powerplant turned off.

It's been years since I checked, but IIRC there were fixed rates, one for normal flight and one for supercruise.

PS: if this is still the case, wouldn't it be cool to have a variable rate based on power output and capacitor usage? When your warship is firing all its hardpoits and all capacitors are depleted and the distributor struggles to get them back on, the powerplant should be sucking that tank dry.
    Umm, I believe a variable fuel rate is already in game. It's based on which modules are powered on & deployed. At least the numbers in the lower right of the HUD change according to module power, it would be mighty terrible if they put that in but didn't actually implement the mechanic. Pretty sure distributor charging has no effect though.

I'm really struggling to figure out why this thread is generating so much interest. There are things FD can work on that could not really get worse, this is definitely not one of them.

One thing I would like to point out is that, for the proposals from this thread, at least the ones I read more thoroughly, your average small ship owner / beginner pilot would not be affected in any way.

Increasing regular flight consumption JUST FOR LARGER SHIPS does not affect small ones.

Increasing pump tax JUST FOR LARGER SHIPS does not affect small ones.

So please, enough with the small ship melodrama. No one wants to deter from small ship usage with these proposal, in fact, the contrary!
    Yes, if it's just for larger ships, a detail which isnt present in all proposals here. Infact, the fuel grading suggestions typically mention no such limit. And for the most part the posts saying just raise prices aren't either.

And even in the case you did there hasn't been a logical argument justifying the price gap for the same substance based on what you put it in.

Ship size. In fact ship model specific. And nothing to do with the FSD, when I say regular flight consumption I mean the consumption you see in lower right part of the HUD, the amount of fuel your ship guzzles up just by not having its powerplant turned off.

It's been years since I checked, but IIRC there were fixed rates, one for normal flight and one for supercruise.
    Mass and thruster size would make sense to base that on, a flat arbitrary hull rate not so much. But as it's set now the game seens to assume constant output to thrusters which is why we have constants.

PS: if this is still the case, wouldn't it be cool to have a variable rate based on power output and capacitor usage? When your warship is firing all its hardpoits and all capacitors are depleted and the distributor struggles to get them back on, the powerplant should be sucking that tank dry.
    This part doesn't really make sense given that the distributor has a hard limit on output to a given system. Why would fuel usage increase when the power distrubution being fueled doesn't?

I don't think anyone proposed that a full tank (or even a half-tank for that matter) wouldn't last a trip to Hutton or to one of the other huge systems out there, regardless of ship.

Also even assuming that you take your combat behemoth to Hutton (I don't know why, you can't land it, but whatever), regular supercruise wouldn't consume so much. Last time I checked you can't boost in SC, or fire your weapons, or have your shields depleted...
    Given that some mentioned creating a fuel need significant enough that fuel rats could be a thing for combat sessions, no, I'd say you're not speaking for everyone with this statement.

Again, no one is proposing that small ships or exploration ships arbitrarily get an enormous fuel consumption requiring a refuel or scoop every 5 minutes. That's how you make it sound. We just want fuel to be more than a meaningless button click when you dock.
    Increasing fuel costs or consumption even asymetrically won't change that because the button and fuel need is still there. That last statement will still be fully true, the only change will be the degree your wallet drops.