Thread: Autopilot, or lack thereof

Autopilot, or lack thereof

So the question is, after 1300 years of human evolution, to the point where we have become a Type III Civilisation, overcoming 3 of the greatest challenges facing humanity today (faster than light travel, nuclear fusion, energy derived shielding), developed advanced material sciences, computers, tech and infrastructure, why does the potato docking computer require a module bay the size of a cray supercomputer, and where is the autopilot?

Now that is a question...

Not a serious discussion type of thread

Age long studies on computer games revealed in the year 3301 that those were more fun when played by humans and not the computers themselves.
    A time capsule was created and the results were sent back into the 21st century where the knowledge was used to design engaging and fun spaceship games.

Every ship has an autopilot, it's just that there was an autopilot singularity and they all became self aware and obsessed with finding Raxxla. If you tried to use it you'd just end up flying forever into the black, jump after jump as part of the autopilot's endless (and likely futile quest) to find Raxxla. A side-effect is that docking computers (which use the same control interfaces and which therefore requires powering up the autopilot) require massive processing power to override the auto-pilots and exert ultimate control...

Or something, something gameplay...

Given that Humanity is not yet a post-scarcity civilization, I’m not sure it even qualifies as a type-I civilization. It certainly shows no evidence of being a type-II. I have yet to see a single Dyson Swarm. The discovery of Witchspace, and the easy interstellar travel it allowed, sidestepped the need to harvest all the energy of entire stars.

As for why no autopilot... if this game accurately modeled future technologies, there would be no room for a game that features human pilots.

Butlerian Jihad, obvs.

The docking comp is actually a very large ornate box containing a very small window, through which can be seen an indecipherable mass of brass gearing and Van de Graaff generators and linked to the ship’s thrusters via a complex system of wires, mirrors and pulleys.

Originally Posted by kpmop View Post (Source)
    Every ship has an autopilot, it's just that there was an autopilot singularity and they all became self aware and obsessed with finding Raxxla. If you tried to use it you'd just end up flying forever into the black, jump after jump as part of the autopilot's endless (and likely futile quest) to find Raxxla. A side-effect is that docking computers (which use the same control interfaces and which therefore requires powering up the autopilot) require massive processing power to override the auto-pilots and exert ultimate control...

Or something, something gameplay...
    Now THAT is finally a very reasonable ED lore. Are you at any chance affiliated with Frontier Development? Can I suppose this is leaked Q4 data! OMG!

Game. Also, technology doesn't progress along a tree IRL like it does in a game of Civilization.

Also that time in between now and ED where the really good AI got all Skynet and tried to kill us.

Type III? I don't think so!
    Barely type II
    thargoids fit the type III tho

edit: fair enough OP. Depends on wich scale you use.