Thread: [DW2] Fleet Mechanics

[DW2] Fleet Mechanics

Link:

Distant worlds 2
    Fleet Mechanics

This thread is subject to modifications depending on announcements in the Q4 live-stream updates during October.

What are the Fleet Mechanics?
    The Fleet Mechanics is one of the roles that you can join as part of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. Our primary aim is to keep the rest of the fleet repaired throughout the expedition and do our best to make sure everyone makes it back home.
    Yes the Mechanics role will be present on all platforms!

Why Have Fleet Mechanics on Distant Worlds 2 at all?
    A long distance exploration trip such as DW2 is inherently dangerous. Ship collisions, emergency super-cruise drops, high gravity planets, landing damage and other mishaps can all ruin a pilot’s day, and DW2 will take much longer than a day. Over time mistakes will also play a factor as fatigue, distraction and complacency take their toll.
    In short most people can expect to take damage at some stage in the expedition. Nobody will have to turn back due to hull/canopy damage; nobody will need to fly cautiously because the fleet mechanics will be on hand with repair limpets!

What do I have to do as a Mechanic and how will it work?
    To be able to repair you will need to carry a cargo rack and fit a repair limpet controller. To go with that you will need limpets or limpet synthesis materials.
    We will support the whole fleet by offering our repair service at the basecamps and waypoints. This is expected to be topping people up to 100% from minor scrapes and bruises.
    For serious repairs there will be a Discord Channel that will be used as both a repair requests channel and an emergency channel. When a request comes in we will use the Fuel Rats method so there is a dispatcher to assign mechanic(s) on the channel to each case.
    Your role in this is to get involved as much as you want to personally. The aim of any of us playing the game is to have fun and enjoy ourselves; as such there are no requirements or online hours.
    If you want to just meet at the basecamps and fire a few limpets that’s fantastic, if you want to dispatch repair requests that’s great! If you are too busy simply flying from waypoint to waypoint then no problems!

What else is there?
    The main part of the role is highly individual in its nature; an important part of DW2 is bringing people together, as a result we expect to hold several meet-ups during the expedition. Plans are still being finalised but some of these will be focussed on gathering materials with the support of the Rock Rats, others will be gatherings for repairing the fleet and some meet-ups will be simply to have fun and blow off some steam.

There will also be a few mini-competitions with prizes throughout the expedition for the mechanics. The planning for this is complete and details will be released at the appropriate times during the expedition.

To help organise everything there are 3 points of contacts, one per platform:
    Alexbrentnall – PC Lead
    Repairman Patch – PS4 Lead
    [TBD] – XB1 Lead

What big things could change between now and launch?
    The biggest thing that can impact the Mechanics role on DW2 is the upcoming Mining changes. Exploding asteroids looks fun but 40,000Ly from home may be dangerous especially if there are other ships around!
    Depending on the new mechanics we could be directly supporting the Rock Rats during their mining operations on a day to day basis throughout the expedition.
    Squadrons may also alter the Fleet Mechanic role yet the current belief is that it won’t have a major impact to our operations.

Where do I sign up?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...Sign-Up-Thread

Link to the main expedition thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...y-of-Discovery

I have questions, suggestions or need to speak with someone?
    If it’s an open question/idea then this thread is ideal. Once the server is opened the Discord channel would also be appropriate.
    For anything else drop me a message here on the Forums or Reddit or Discord and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Might be worth putting in some of our experience on DECE here. Generally repairs would be done at basecamps as that is where bad landings usually happened. I may or may not know of this...
    At mass jumps we would scan everyone and top up those who seemed a little low. This can be a surprise to the receiver, but hey ho!
    If a problem happened elsewhere a call on the discord channel was usually enough. As noted before, repairs are not time critical so a bit of careful flying should get you where you need to go

Taz

So does that mean Distant Worlds 2 is going ahead?

Originally Posted by drkaii View Post (Source)

Distant Worlds 2 ? What's that ?

Comedians, everywhere.

I'll be carrying a repair limpet and maybe even a fuel limpet.

Originally Posted by drkaii View Post (Source)
    No, I definitely heard it's been cancelled. 110% certain.

I'll be bringing a small repair limpet controller. Mainly for myself but of course I'll help out any commander in need.

The reason I didn't sign up as a fleet mechanic and I'm only bringing a 1D controller, is that there will be A LOT of ships with repair capabilities.
    On my last expedition commanders were itching for any excuse to use them for some reason. Launching them at meetups if they see the slightest hull damage on another ship, even without being asked.
    When someone at a meetup would ask for repairs, there would be three limpets launched before I could even power mine on.
    So you can see that it just doesn't make sense to have too many mechanics. Of course not everyone needs them but even a 1:2 ratio is overkill

Still, better safe than sorry, so I'll have repair and fuel limpet controllers, just in case.

Not signed up as a Mechanic myself either, but I will also have repair capability on the PS4 side. Dinkly little 1D controller but it'll be available if needed.

Hi humans, you can change anything on the roster, please email dw2expedition@gmail.com with your amendments.

I'm going to suggest we use ship ID's in some way to identify ourselves as fleet mechanics. That way other CMDRs could message us individually to request repair, rather than paging LOCAL and getting spammed by limpets as a result. We've only got 6 characters, so if it were FM and our roster number (FM2417 in my case), that would work, but there may be other schemes that would be more obvious.

Originally Posted by Dan Bender View Post (Source)
    I'm going to suggest we use ship ID's in some way to identify ourselves as fleet mechanics. That way other CMDRs could message us individually to request repair, rather than paging LOCAL and getting spammed by limpets as a result. We've only got 6 characters, so if it were FM and our roster number (FM2417 in my case), that would work, but there may be other schemes that would be more obvious.
    Ship ID is already set on the Fleet Roster.
    Look yourself up here https://dw2expedition.wixsite.com/ho...l-fleet-roster
    You'll see a Ship ID already assigned to you. (0H4-DW) Most pilots will already be using that ID.

There's already a system in place, similar to the fuel rats, to alert and dispatch mechanics as needed so you only get one responder and not spammed by limptets.
    Similar to the fuel rats.

However, I'm sure there will still be those players itching to use a limpet and watching for any incoming ship at less than 100% hull.
    Personally, I prefer not to be repaired unless I ask.