Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 17202122

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Content Recap: Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream - Background Simulation and Scenarios

So how exactly is a defense of a megaship supposed to be handled by the controlling faction? Presumably the scenario with the attacked megaship could happen in any mode. So if it happens in solo or pg, how is a faction supposed to defend the megaship?

Originally Posted by Rick Bravo View Post (Source)
    So how exactly is a defense of a megaship supposed to be handled by the controlling faction? Presumably the scenario with the attacked megaship could happen in any mode. So if it happens in solo or pg, how is a faction supposed to defend the megaship?
    You defend the megaship from the NPC's that are attacking. Thought that was obvious.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    You defend the megaship from the NPC's that are attacking. Thought that was obvious.
    Obviously it is not.

Do we already know how many different scenarios there'll be? Definitely looking forward to that feature, but I'm worried a bit that they will soon wear off if it's only a handful (with the same voice acting).

To get more of them in the game this could eventually also done with text only.

Originally Posted by Max Factor View Post (Source)
    In the most superficial and simplistic sense, your analysis is correct but only IF you are presented the the scenario and IF you are the defending faction, then it is fine. HOWEVER, that megaship scenario can be played out hundreds of times by hundreds of different players and if you are the controlling faction, you will be negatively impacted EVERY time the pirates and/or player "kill" the megaship. This is an issue that has not been properly addressed by Fdev, or at least not properly explained if Fdev has a solution.

Dangerous Global Moderator StefanOS's Avatar
    Sorry I cant read all the posts .... so I post my ideas without any knowledge of what others did write...

My 2 cents on scenarios WHICH I THINK ARE NEEDED VERY MUCH.... FINALLY WE GET THEM !!!!!

1. the shown scenario with the ship asking for food ..... it is nice but somehow VERY unrealistic because I normally don't have food in my cargo, and I am sure if I had, he would ask me for beer, and I had beer he would ask me for meat...... I also hope that it is enough to drop the needed cargo because I 100% don't carry a transfer limpets just in case this scenario will happen! (BTW I hate the DIFFERENT LIMPETS FOR EVERY TASK IDEA IN ED..... it is making everything OVER COMPLICATED to the point that we always are wrong outfitted for what may span)

2. I know that I can go and get the needed item in the neighbor system, but this is somehow odd, why is the ship not capable to jump there to buy it themselves? Is the frameshift drive defect?? Dont they have credits to buy fuel? Are they under a trade embargo?

3. a scenario system WOULD BRING LIVE TO extraction sights. A miner is attacked by pirates in a RES, he calls for help - I can choose to intervene or not. If I respond and save him he should also say thanks and offer some reward (f.e credits) and give me some reputation for his faction! I would be nice to get recognized and hailed in a specific manner by ships and stations of this faction if your reputation is getting high by saving their miner/trader fleet!

4. same SCENARIO system like 3. would bring live in SUPER CRUISE with trader or passenger ships.... A trader/tourist ship is attacked by pirates in a SUPER CRUISE, he calls for help - I can choose to intervene by jumping in that SYSTEM SOURCE or not. If I respond and save him he should also say thanks and offer some a reward (f.e credits or materials) and give me some reputation for his faction! I would be nice to get recognized and hailed in a specific manner by ships and stations of this faction if your reputation is getting high by saving their miner/trader/tourist fleet!

5. other possible scenarios:
    defend a station,
    defend a ground base,
    defend a planet outposts

Originally Posted by Rick Bravo View Post (Source)
    In the most superficial and simplistic sense, your analysis is correct but only IF you are presented the the scenario and IF you are the defending faction, then it is fine. HOWEVER, that megaship scenario can be played out hundreds of times by hundreds of different players and if you are the controlling faction, you will be negatively impacted EVERY time the pirates and/or player "kill" the megaship. This is an issue that has not been properly addressed by Fdev, or at least not properly explained if Fdev has a solution.
    The scenario would be available to all, the controlling faction players have the same opportunity as everyone to interact with said scenario. This can be done in any mode by anyone, as it always has been before. The only drawback for those with a controlling interest in a system is that should a massively coordinated attack by e.g. a larger faction occur then influence would be lost if the player faction defending (loosely put) are unable to present a similar 'defence' stategy. In the livestream it was mentioned that, in particular, larger PMF's might find things a bit harder.

In your response to Max you did appear to miss the point that having your faction play the same scenario but in your favour would assist your faction in the same way, which is how the game mechanic works. the Fuel Rats nearly lost their controlling influence by a well-executed coup that was only averted by massive community engagement in their favour. A very good example of how the BGS works - there isn't any issue with the mechanics - it is working pretty much as intended.

Originally Posted by Ratkatcher View Post (Source)
    The scenario would be available to all, the controlling faction players have the same opportunity as everyone to interact with said scenario. This can be done in any mode by anyone, as it always has been before. The only drawback for those with a controlling interest in a system is that should a massively coordinated attack by e.g. a larger faction occur then influence would be lost if the player faction defending (loosely put) are unable to present a similar 'defence' stategy. In the livestream it was mentioned that, in particular, larger PMF's might find things a bit harder.

In your response to Max you did appear to miss the point that having your faction play the same scenario but in your favour would assist your faction in the same way, which is how the game mechanic works. the Fuel Rats nearly lost their controlling influence by a well-executed coup that was only averted by massive community engagement in their favour. A very good example of how the BGS works - there isn't any issue with the mechanics - it is working pretty much as intended.
    Well this was at the heart of the question to Fdev. What do they envision as the strategy of defense in this scenario? In the stream they pointed out that this scenario should be defended but they never said how. As you suggest, the only apparent defense is the defending faction doing its best to farm as many of these megaship scenarios as possible. That seems a bit cumbersome and would make pretty much any faction dread the idea of a megaship traveling to their system. I was hoping Fdev had thought a little deeper than that and maybe they have and just not expressed themselves very well. If not, I think this scenario could use some refining in beta. The idea that a single scenario could occupy much of the time of an entire player group for an entire week is not good gameplay. Imagine doing the exact same thing over and over for a week. Maybe limiting the number of times a megaship scenario can spawn in a week or per server tick? I think this kind of thing will be exploited unless some limits are set.

But the Megaship scenario is only a small part of the machinations called BGS, even if limited as you suggested the 'defending' faction would still need to pour their resources into the scenario or have thier influence reduced by those who are playing the scenario from opposing factions.

Just in case it is coming next, no - open only wouldn't be the answer either, not unless ED became a pay-to-play game with dedicated servers accomodating the entire playerbase, even then I'm not sure that console players would be able to play inclusively with all platforms.

As it stands it will present a challenge to PMF's in pretty much the way it always had, just giving you new scenarios to play rather than only manipulation of the BGS through missions/CZ's etc.

Great updates, really looking forward to these.
    "Part of this feedback includes how Local News works. We've expanded the faction summary news article, so that each faction has their own individual article which informs players of the states currently active in that system."

Yay, some love for the News feeds. Inching toward DDF goals.

It would be great if the Text to Speech synth could be set to read system news as well as Galnet! Let's get the news of the system we are in via audio.

"State Categories: We've broken a number of faction states into the following categories: Other - Anything not included in the above, and reserved for future states that we are not ready to talk about!"

Interesting, sounds like other states are on the roadmap . . . more to come? Or just placeholder hype for 4 years down the line, "maybe".

Originally Posted by StefanOS View Post (Source)
    4. same SCENARIO system like 3. would bring live in SUPER CRUISE with trader or passenger ships.... A trader/tourist ship is attacked by pirates in a SUPER CRUISE, he calls for help - I can choose to intervene by jumping in that SYSTEM SOURCE or not. If I respond and save him he should also say thanks and offer some a reward (f.e credits or materials) and give me some reputation for his faction! I would be nice to get recognized and hailed in a specific manner by ships and stations of this faction if your reputation is getting high by saving their miner/trader/tourist fleet!

5. other possible scenarios:
    defend a station,
    defend a ground base,
    defend a planet outposts
    4 - or help the pirates and gain access to a station where you could buy all the outlawed stuff like narcotics, etc. This would cost you local rep, but you could ACTUALLY a pirate! And a smuggler.

5 - defend a station: Nope, you get fined for firing in the no fire zone. Let the pirates have a go at it, they will rack up so much fines, when they are sent back to the rebuy screen, they will fly a sidewinder in no time

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 17202122