Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Content Recap: Beyond - Chapter Four Livestream - Background Simulation and Scenarios

Double Elite Global Moderator Robert Maynard's Avatar
    Originally Posted by WorldsGreatestForumDad View Post (Source)
    Non issue. Lots of player groups have players across all platforms.

Plus the doors are starting to open for cross platform gameplay.

Only a matter of time.

Besides, you could make this same argument with the open only powerplay proposal. And Frontier still wanted to do it.

They could do the same here.
    We'll see, given the following restatement, from the OP, of what the BGS is about:

Originally Posted by Will Flanagan View Post (Source)
    BGS (Background Simulation) Changes

The Background Simulation (BGS) is a representation of how the actions of all players, no matter on which platform or mode, impact the galaxy. The factions that inhabit these system battle for influence over the population and control of the starports, installations and outposts. Player actions can push these factions into various states; such as economy, security, health and influence. With concerted effort players can help grow a faction's economy, destroy its security status, or help win a war.

Originally Posted by Robert Maynard View Post (Source)
    We'll see, given the following restatement, from the OP, of what the BGS is about:
    Thats neat.

Its a dumb move. Its creates a very unbalanced game. And the game is toxic because the people arent engaging each other. Leaving the people that arent involved to be griefed.

If they want griefing in their game to continue.

Then leave it like it is. And the game will still continue to be toxic because of it.

We gonna go another 5 years with " I got blown up for no reason posts "?

Its 2018. Lets start moving forward a bit here.

People need an understanding of what they are getting into. And leaving it like it is. Is not helping the community at all.

Besides, you could make this same argument with the open only powerplay proposal. And Frontier still wanted to do it.

They could do the same here.
    It also makes sense - and much more sense than it would for Powerplay, where I do agree with Open only - to populate the galaxy with background PvE.

If you happen to play quiet time, you still want content to play and quite a few people just prefer Solo, maybe versus lag if they have a bad connection or for any other reason. It's a BIG galaxy and there are a lot of factions, player supported ones are maybe 1-5% of all factions in game? If you rely on PvP entirely to run them you end up with a dispersed populus, so the idea (and it's really not a bad one) is for PvP to influence what goes on, rather than control every aspect. Then if you happen to play alone at night or you like a system in the middle of nowhere there's still a game to play.

Originally Posted by ratcom View Post (Source)
    ..... and megaships..... so you want my faction to look after it while in my space for zero benefit.... wow
    Very interesting Point you bring up there.

I was quite confused by that "Megaship in your System - take care of it!" Side-Quest.

I mean... how is a PC/Open Player supposed to take care of it? Against other Players operating in other Modes or on other Platforms happily hitting/pirating/damaging/whatever it?
    I wouldn't know how this would work in terms of that "Distress Call" they mentioned.

Mandatory (Faction suffers is you don't) Repairs like a Mini-Station-Repair System CG?

I could imagine Factions/Groups quickly learning to hate these parked and normally useless Assets in their Systems.
    Easily could cause attrition by forcing non-Faction activities (fix the MegaShip) due to damage caused by invisible Players. If anything, it would seem it'll detract attention from the native BGS work.
    BGS guys usually aren't used having to work to support Assets that their Faction doesn't control.

I guess we'll need more Details on the Benefit/Workload balancing of these.
    But if I've learned one thing in the many years of BGS work - more workload clearly isn't something most BGS Groups would look for, especially when controlling multiple Systems against Opposition.
    (and if a MegaShip is present and parked in one System - but not in the System of the "other guys" - I could envision the call "foul!" would quickly emerge for understandable reasons)

PS.
    I guess they might have meant an RNG Scenario though - without any other Player involvement.
    Like a USS you would have to venture into in order to keep your Faction happy.
    IMHO still a mandatory side-quest producing additional and undesired workload if that assumption is correct.

Thanks for the summary.

Very informative.

RE: Conflict Zones

In the sample you weren't swarmed when you picked a side. Is this a normal condition or just a dev perk? IE: will it still be SOP to boost away from everyone then pick a side unless you just want to be instantly swarmed by every red contact in the area?

Originally Posted by CMDR Terrorfirma View Post (Source)
    Yea that would be fun. Also would be fun to have missions that would do things like incite underground uprisings or browncoat resistance in a war... maybe missions to exploit a treasonous turncoat or a double agent": take a mission that is hinted at by a traitor to the other faction... a comm message... to go steal some materials or destroy a stash of weapons or supplies.. to intercept a transport and destroy it or loot it.
    +1

And eg. finding 'their' Battle Plans spawns extra Elite NPC to your side.

Originally Posted by BDelacroix View Post (Source)
    In the sample you weren't swarmed when you picked a side.
    I think having a super-duper engineered Corvette might have helped matters a little bit there!

Real men still fly Eagle in High CZ's, imho. Though props to the Viper vs Megaship

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    this is the first time i read a recap from frontier, don't understand squat, and don't even care.
    me too

Awesome stuff! I'm happy to file under suspension-of-disbelief the question of how a famine could start with neighbouring systems merely minutes away. Or maybe famines only happen during economic crashes, so it's more a question of food affordability than availability.

More importantly, I want to know the happiness states! I assume that "Elated" falls short of "Exuberant" and perhaps "Ecstatic" while still being better than "Jovial", "Giddy", and "Hopeful". Below the neutral state - surely "Oblivious" - I hope to see "Miffed", "Peeved", "Despondent", and "Despairing".

Thats neat.
    Have fun with Open Only Powerplay in 2019

A thought.

when you encounter an NPC with a request you seem to have only two options. Give them what they want, or refuse. If you want players to be able to leave and come back with the right equipment or cargo, you need a third option ("I'll be right back") which might also add a bit of time on the timer so it doesn't expire while you get what they need.

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post (Source)
    More importantly, I want to know the happiness states! I assume that "Elated" falls short of "Exuberant" and perhaps "Ecstatic" while still being better than "Jovial", "Giddy", and "Hopeful". Below the neutral state - surely "Oblivious" - I hope to see "Miffed", "Peeved", "Despondent", and "Despairing".

HAHAHHAHAAAHahhahaa I like that. (tongue in cheek)

Originally Posted by mossfoot View Post (Source)
    ..you need a third option ("I'll be right back") which might also add a bit of time on the timer so it doesn't expire while you get what they need.
    I think that is already possible.. you ACCEPT it to help.. then you just go get it and come back.. not sure you need to tell them "I will be right back"... but i guess that would be nice to have anyway.

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    this is the first time i read a recap from frontier, don't understand squat, and don't even care.

congratulations for whatever, y'all!
    It's ok. Faction warfare mechanics aren't for everyone, and prefer their gameplay depth to be elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post (Source)
    Have fun with Open Only Powerplay in 2019
    They have basically created powerplay 2.0 with player factions.

It will suffer the same despair as the current powerplay issues we have today.

Its people affecting one other intentionally.

There has to be some sort of risk and reward factor between the people involved. And not just NPC's that are in the way.

These are people battling it out. We're no longer fighting against the game itself.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast