View Entry Info: wartime missions no longer affect result of war

Category:
PC/MAC Bug Reports

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: wartime missions no longer affect result of war

wartime missions no longer affect result of war

Date & Time of Occurrence
    1/11/18

Frequency

VR?
    None / N/A

Ship/SRV?
    N/A

Ship Type

Commander Name
    Trog111

Description
    it appears that the war time missions (e.g. strategic data transfer, wartime black box salvage, wartime planet base scan) do not generate influence (even if you select the INF++ reward) and therefore do not affect the result of the war.

I tested this by taking 4 strategic data delivery missions for a waring faction on 31/10 and completing them and chosing INF++. After daily tick, i checked and there was no change in the war status between the factions. On 1/11 I took 4 wartime black box salvage missions and 1 wartime planet base scan, completed these and selected INF++++ options for reward. I checked today (2/11) and again there is no change to the war state - both factions influence remains unchanged.

I m listing this as a bug and not a suggestion as the fix should be either:

1) remove these mission types as they are now redundant and are functionally identical to the non-wartime equivalent missions; or
    2) allow these missions (if the CMDR chooses INF++) to affect the war effort as they are supposed to.

This begs the question if the new mega ship wartime missions also have no affect on the war outcome? In which case these missions should be removed from wartime and only available during non-war states! However the megaship missions appear to be too buggy to test their BGS impact at the moment.

Steps to Reproduce
    yes

Additional files?

You're not gonna like this, but: wartime missions NEVER have had any effect on influence, even in prior versions of Elite, even when you choose the INF++++ reward it was all lies. Influence is locked during wartime and the only thing that makes a difference is combat bonds.

Actually i knew this, however, I took this opportunity that given that they have now amended the bgs system it is about time they removed this bug and addressed these missleading missions - instead of just adding to them with new megaship missions which my guess is also do not affect the war outcome! The same goes for elections! If you are gonna be given a choice of rewards, then it is only fair if those rewards are true - for example the difference between a cr reward and an IF+++++ can be as much as 2-3m cr. Ifthe INF+++++ doesnt actual generate influence then the game is 'cheating' plays out of hard earnt credit. Specifically, for newbies that may not have 8000 hours of game play like myself (and therefore already know these bugs) it makes the game appear stupid (which in this respect it is).

Alright. Well you've got my support. I don't think any of the information given to you by the game should be blatant lies.

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #5
    Hi Commanders,

Thanks for your report. Systems in war states are affected by results of Conflict Zones, so what you are observing is by design.

Stay safe and enjoy the beta,
    QA-Tom

QA thankyou for responding, however, my point was that the missions reward statement is missleading (lying) as it states you can chose INF++ which you have just confirmed is not true.

7. This is the last staff post in this thread. #7
    Originally Posted by TROG111 View Post (Source)
    QA thankyou for responding, however, my point was that the missions reward statement is missleading (lying) as it states you can chose INF++ which you have just confirmed is not true.
    Hi everyone,

Just want to jump in and clarify! War related missions should still be contributing towards a faction and it's ability to win a victory that day.

Thanks,
    Adam

Originally Posted by Adam Waite View Post (Source)
    Hi everyone,

Just want to jump in and clarify! War related missions should still be contributing towards a faction and it's ability to win a victory that day.

Thanks,
    Adam

Is that new or has it been like that since war-mission contributing to faction influence during war was removed? I've only taken these missions to flavor my salary

EDIT: So with the new war rules these missions contribute on same terms as fighting in the combat zones, thus not giving the faction actual influence in system? (I might be misunderstanding the new war-/influence mechanics here)

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
    Adam
    Hi Adam

Sorry to ask for confirmation but this has been very confusing sometimes. The current scenario during wars is that only submission of combat bonds fills up the influence cup. Completing a massacre mission in the process does not effect this cup.

With 3.3 is this going to change?

Say, if I take a mission to kill 24 targets, I kill 24 targets, submit the bonds AND complete the mission, will the faction get more influence that just killing 24 targets without taking up the mission?

Thanks!

Hi QA, then my original bug report was correct, wartime planet scans, war time salvage and wartime strategic data courier missions (the are specifically called wartime and have a different journal code to non-wartime equivalents, DO NOT APPEAR TO GENERATE INFLUENCE during the beta war.

FDEV, please clarify what is a wartime missions - and please be 100% clear (a list of wartime missions types would be appreciated). From what i have seen so far not only is the game ambiguous and probably bugged, but none of the FDEV QA know the answer.

IMO, the Beta BGS is woeful; no simulation at all unless a player gets involved and that's no simulation really. This issue of no missions affecting wars was an issue prior to Beta so it doesn't surprise me that players are seeing the same in Beta. PLEASE PLEASE FDev acknowledge that the BGS is one of the most attractive features of Elite - so much more than Powerplay - so PLEASE don't kill BGS in an attempt to bolster other aspects of the game...

Actually BGS is also a fundemental/critical part of PP too.

Originally Posted by Night Parrot View Post (Source)
    no simulation at all unless a player gets involved and that's no simulation really
    I believe the live BGS is the same. Systems can stay stagnated for days unless a player does something in there.

Hi everyone,

Thanks,
    Adam
    LOL

Can I ask you to clarify this:
    Do you - Adam Waite - think that missions currently affect influence during a war state?

If any missions during a war state do not actually help change influence then they need to stop saying (flavour text, below the contact's portrait) things like "will aid us in the current Civil War".

I couldn't even change an MFs influence in 3.3 beta 2 whilst it only had a war pending using combat oriented missions.