Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: The State of PowerPlay in 3304

As a minimum, probably the changes Sandro proposed in May.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...rplay-Proposal

Originally Posted by Memau View Post (Source)
    Repped because I missed the second page and was just about to post the same link with the same comment, without the 'probably'.

It is a series of changes that all work together to deal witha number of major issues that plague Powerplay, and many PMFs as well. In additiom to ^, moving Powerplay modules to relevant techbrokers would give something to everyone. (And is mentioned by Sandro in that thread too)

Originally Posted by Memau View Post (Source)
    Exactly this is what I had hoped for to come this december. But it was clear pretty soon, that we will have to wait for maybe another year before any changes will happen. For this reason (and being tired of the repetitive cycles) I stopped playing powerplay mostly. I am getting tired of this kind of being put off. I would have eagerly returned for dedicated powerplaying if those proposed changes in the link above would have hit the universe about now. But as it is, I'll neglect powerplay as much as the devs do. I am on strike, and not sure if I I'll be coming back to dedicated powreplay anytime soon. Those changes are direly needed

From the pp n00b perspective (only interested in the toys), if all I do is farm merits in my opposing power's expansion system for 4 weeks, does that mess with your ecosystem?

Originally Posted by Krash View Post (Source)
    From the pp n00b perspective (only interested in the toys), if all I do is farm merits in my opposing power's expansion system for 4 weeks, does that mess with your ecosystem?
    As long as you (and all others who oppose) are not going over the treshhold and over the active powers expansions effort, no one will really mind. It will depend if the expansion you oppose is an expansion important to that power.

Originally Posted by XanderVekk View Post (Source)
    We keep asking for changes, or a complete scrap and redo...

What would you change (at a minimum) to improve PP enough to keep it worthwhile?

Just curious..
    A complete scrap and redo.

Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)
    A complete scrap and redo.
    Agreed. To me, PP is a completely pointless (apart from getting new modules) and zero-fun gameplay experience in its current form. Also, the UI for PP is difficult to interpret.

Originally Posted by Krash View Post (Source)
    If you're just module shopping, then you only need 750 merits in that last cycle before your 4 weeks hit. These days, that won't affect anything.

I believe powerplay should be felt, more than just seen. 10 leaders with subtle variations on how to support them "based on playstyle" is garbage. Majority of the work with Zachary Hudson is the same sort of work you can do for LYR, just a different face, flavor text, and color scheme.

I would like to see powerplay be more incorporated and characterized within the galaxy. I want to know LYR's control without having to go into the powerplay menu to see what benefits he actually gives me. I want to see the power discounts on-screen when purchasing modules, for example. Tie it in.

In addition, there needs to be more variety and separation to what the powers actually do, for the places they control and what they allow CMDR's to do.

I would like to see a "Power" mission board, with exploration missions for LYR, military combat missions for ZH, etc.
    If not a power specific mission board (found only in control zones of a certain power), I'd like to see a bonus for being pledged and playing the game outside of normal "here's you're weekly 5,000 CR bonus". Something like for every mission you do for a faction residing in your pledged power's control, gain 1% payout for your weekly credit bonus. Getting a 5,000 cr pay at the end of the cycle? Well you did 26 missions, so here's a nice boon of an extra 1300 cr!

That's not very much, but it's certainly more of an incentive to play the game and get extra little bonuses like powers are supposed to give without having to fish around for what the power does for you outside of let you buy specific modules.

I'd like to see a better way of earning merits than doing the same "bring thing A to place B" over and over... and the whole "wait 30 minutes or buy more for 100k" thing just doesn't make sense in regards to why it's there.

To be fair, I don't know all the ropes of powerplay, but from a sort of outsider look in, it seems there's all these powers and nobody is really that different from one another. I don't have a reason to care. I don't have a reason to fight for my power, to pledge and stay with that power. I don't see enough involvement in the regular game (outside of labels of LYR space, as an example) to want to care either, unless I'm role-playing. I see powers as a way to influence population, but isn't that what the BGS is for? Why have an entirely different system for it?

I'm not one to want a quick fix, or an easy get-rich-quick scheme, or someone who doesn't appreciate the turn-based system currently in-place with powerplay. I could see where it may be enjoyable yet, but as of now, if I could change anything, it would be to make each power more diverse in what I can do for them, more involved and visible for what bonuses I'm getting because i'm aligned, and a new way to earn merits for whomever I'm under, while doing things I enjoy to do.

Interstellar factors take 25% off bounty vouchers. Why not let me turn in vouchers for a 30% cut, but a merit gain of 1 for every million I turn in?

Just a thought.

The OP's post is well thought through - congrats. PowerPlay has some really excellent communities in each Power's Discord or Slack. The vast majority of power players get big enjoyment/challenge/help/freindships from doing power play. It is poor game mechanics that a few CMDRs can really dump on large numbers of players and ruin their enjoyment of the game. This 5C preparation being the most insidious of these tactics - and often with people exploiting bots to do that dirty work. e.g. Mahon seeing >350,000 merits being pushed into highly detrimental system expansions that they will never stand a chance of losing through turmoil. The Consolidation vote mechanism was well-conceived, but is not working. A Mechanic that would help all Powers would be to have a mechanism to deliberately lose a system of their choice. A Dump mechanism. It would need to be carefully thought through, as it too, like the consolidation vote, would possibly be open to abuse. Sandro did suggest such a mechanism in the PP focussed feedback thread. Please, FDEV Sandro replacement person (whoever you are) - read through that thread - there are a number of relatively simple mechanisms that could make PowerPlay so much better for the majority.

In the mean-time, as several have said on here - if you are curious about PowerPlay, so join up that Power's discord and give it a chance. There is a LOT of depth and gameplay, strategy, diplomacy - and for me it's been highly compelling for several years. Despite its faults (and there are lots). And Each Power / Superpower has a really distinctive flavour in my experience. FDEV could really use that more in storylines in my opinion.

anyway, my 2p...

Originally Posted by aspiringexpatriate View Post (Source)
    A Brief History of Preparation Sabotage
    Every Power has seen valueless preparations on their ‘Top 10 Preparations List’, and every Power has Expanded into a deficit-causing Control System despite their best efforts. There have been a handful of times since June of 3301 where a Power has seen overwhelming numbers of merits contributed to deficit-causing Preparations in a clearly organized effort to sabotage the Power’s standing balance of Command Capital. This increases the amount of Fortification required to maintain a surplus at the close of the Cycle and that Power’s vulnerability to Undermining.

This is what has happened to Senator Zemina Torval over the past six months. Torval used to hold many profitable Control Systems distant from Synteini, their Power HQ. They lost control of their Consolidation Vote, and in the last hour of every Cycle, an organized fifth column of saboteurs would prepare a deficit-causing Preparation in close proximity to Power HQ. The Expansion triggers would be realistically unopposable. No one has claimed responsibility for these acts of sabotage.
    This has literally just happened to Hudson this cycle.
    Every single top 10 was a deficit causing system, with those systems selected hundreds of Ly from Hudson HQ, so it's quite clear the current system doesn't work as players hop in and out of factions ripping them to bits to gain a profit off their loss in the next cycle.

This shouldn't be possible.

I've made my own suggestion post to fix Powerplay with a rework that looks to prevent that specific scenario, which stops the AI expanding into territories that don't benefit the power, as well as prevents expanded needlessly to the otherside of the cloud for no reason whatsoever. It pulls all members of the factions together, as opposed to scattering them to the wind all across the system.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...olled-Factions

Give it a read, I'd like an experienced Powerplay player's opinion on it.

Originally Posted by aspiringexpatriate View Post (Source)
    A Brief History of Preparation Sabotage

This is what has happened to Senator Zemina Torval over the past six months. Torval used to hold many profitable Control Systems distant from Synteini, their Power HQ. They lost control of their Consolidation Vote, and in the last hour of every Cycle, an organized fifth column of saboteurs would prepare a deficit-causing Preparation in close proximity to Power HQ. The Expansion triggers would be realistically unopposable. No one has claimed responsibility for these acts of sabotage.
    O7
    *cough* zyada *cough*

Page 2 of 2 First 12