Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: T-Rex should not be able to kill Gllimiums

This is a game based on fiction. It's not supposed to be scientifically accurate. If it was it wouldn't exist cause cloning Dinosaurs is impossible.

Originally Posted by PCMR4Life View Post (Source)
    This is a game based on fiction. It's not supposed to be scientifically accurate. If it was it wouldn't exist cause cloning Dinosaurs is impossible.
    Yes as of right now... Who knows in the future. But okay so if I want a T-Rex wearing a North Face jacket that's cool because it's all fiction anyway? Seems hella dumb.

Originally Posted by MarcWP View Post (Source)
    Yes as of right now... Who knows in the future. But okay so if I want a T-Rex wearing a North Face jacket that's cool because it's all fiction anyway? Seems hella dumb.
    That depends, did a Tyrannosaur wear a North Face jacket in Jurassic Park? Is it plausible within the realm of Jurassic Park? No to both of those? Well then that suggestion is "hella dumb".

Tyrannosaurus hunting Gallimimus did happen in Jurassic Park though. It was one of the most iconic scenes. So, we have our JWE Tyrannosaurs do the same.

What I really want to ask is, do you all really care that much? With all the things that can be improved with JWE, is this the one thing you really want to focus on?

besides from that T-rex and Gallimimus never met, I young rex should have done it they where Slim like Raptors until they get Older

That never happened and wouldn't make sense. The Rex in JP ambushed the Gallimimus. Also it's been scientifically proven that the Rex was an active hunter. Meaning it would have chased it's prey. You don't understand how animals hunt. Big cats chase prey till they get tired. They don't have to keep up with the prey in a neck to neck race. They literally run them into the dirt. Then they kill them.

I would give you the example of the African wild dog - THE most successful predator on earth. Does not travel faster than a dog - it's a dog.
    But will follow a weak prey for hours and hours by scent.
    Even ambush carnivores burst into a densely packed group often running from another threat (perceived or otherwise) and already (usually) have the weak one/s as target (like lions do now - seen it happen in SA but that was a few female lions acting like velociraptors). I expect T-Rex either worked as pair or worked on the fringe of the attacks of other predators - to nab one that ran from a rock into a hard place (with teeth).

And the speed of a cheetah is only 70 mph for less than a minute. After that they are nackered - they have to rest for an hour or so.
    Gallimimus could maybe run up to those speeds but there is no reason to believe that they could
    • do that speed more than a few seconds
    • be able to flock at that speed - therefore leaving individuals alone when running out of energy.

This is all seen in modern day predator/prey situations.

Also need to think - imagine two T-Rex at dusk.. wander upon a group of Gallimimus hoping to sleep a little - light is bad. Galli eyesight tuned to things like us (i.e. less good at dusk), T-Rex for movement. One T-Rex walks to a group, they would run, not necessarily as a group when they see less well.... bingo. They share the pickings.

I think the OP assumed there was a race between predator and prey. Even with cheetahs that is rarely the whole story and... worth noting... cheetahs get their target 58% of the time despite their speed advantage.... wild dogs 85%

speed of the attacker isn't the be all and end all else T-Rex would have been only eating carrion.

it's actually more likely that T-Rex was the hyena of the time - still, people paid loads of money to make stuff up from rocks would not have missed that one as they KNOW how the eye of a T-Rex worked as they have never ever found one (/sarcasm).

Originally Posted by TaSwavo View Post (Source)
    I would give you the example of the African wild dog - THE most successful predator on earth. Does not travel faster than a dog - it's a dog.
    But will follow a weak prey for hours and hours by scent.
    Even ambush carnivores burst into a densely packed group often running from another threat (perceived or otherwise) and already (usually) have the weak one/s as target (like lions do now - seen it happen in SA but that was a few female lions acting like velociraptors). I expect T-Rex either worked as pair or worked on the fringe of the attacks of other predators - to nab one that ran from a rock into a hard place (with teeth).

And the speed of a cheetah is only 70 mph for less than a minute. After that they are nackered - they have to rest for an hour or so.
    Gallimimus could maybe run up to those speeds but there is no reason to believe that they could
    • do that speed more than a few seconds
    • be able to flock at that speed - therefore leaving individuals alone when running out of energy.

This is all seen in modern day predator/prey situations.

Also need to think - imagine two T-Rex at dusk.. wander upon a group of Gallimimus hoping to sleep a little - light is bad. Galli eyesight tuned to things like us (i.e. less good at dusk), T-Rex for movement. One T-Rex walks to a group, they would run, not necessarily as a group when they see less well.... bingo. They share the pickings.

I think the OP assumed there was a race between predator and prey. Even with cheetahs that is rarely the whole story and... worth noting... cheetahs get their target 58% of the time despite their speed advantage.... wild dogs 85%

speed of the attacker isn't the be all and end all else T-Rex would have been only eating carrion.

it's actually more likely that T-Rex was the hyena of the time - still, people paid loads of money to make stuff up from rocks would not have missed that one as they KNOW how the eye of a T-Rex worked as they have never ever found one (/sarcasm).
    I would wager orcas and humans are more successful predators, but that would just be an argument of semantics on how you define success.

BUT, you have a point. However, that raises the question on what type of runner Gallimimus were: endurance runners or sprinters. Other animals within the ecological niche Gallimimus fit into are often endurance runners. Ostriches, which are probably the closest animals we can compare them too in terms of anatomy, are capable of endurance running and clock about the same speeds sprinting as the estimated top speeds of a Gallimimus. That's also why African wild dogs (and humans alike) are very successful predators, they're endurance runners. If we assume Gallimimus are also capable of endurance running and are approximately the same speed as Ostriches on that front, their endurance speed is approximately 30mph which is how fast Rexy could run. We should also bear in mind that Rexy is an abnormally large rex, surpassing the largest known Tyrannosaurus in size. She is also notably larger than the other rexes of the franchise and in her prime, she was visibly more heavily built. It's possible other Tyrannosaurs of JP could run faster than her. Assuming Rexy was moving at top speed in the first movie when chasing the jeep, she could keep that pace for 40 seconds before having to slow down. We can assume other Tyrannosaurs would exhibit similar results.

With that in mind, could Tyrannosaurus keep up with Gallimimus in any form? No, not realistically. It would need to ambush, just as we saw in the movie. Now looking at the game, based on animation, the prey is unaware of the predator until the last second, making them unable to escape because it is too late for them to accelerate and avoid their predator. In that sense, it is realistic for a Tyrannosaurus to catch a Gallimimus. The problem here is that the Gallimimus should be aware. What's unrealistic is that the Gallimimus doesn't see the Tyrannosaurus coming, when it should have. This is something that can be ignored, because most people are doing it already, but I wouldn't vouch for that. I would rather see updates to the AI that promote more dynamic hunting and a more diverse predator/prey relationship.

But if the Galli that gets caught is slower than his friends (illness, old age, etc) it will be more likely caught - as we see in nature now, it's not the powerful bull buffalo (africa) that gets caught by the lion, but the young or weak through illness or age.

Would be nice if the age of the critter (herb or carnivore) affected their speed and therefore there ability to be caught or catch. In the real world elephants teeth grow all their life until they stop - then the animal can't eat and they will be eaten when they get too weak to defend themselves.

He's just trying to make things more realistic. What's wrong with that? He has just as much right to play the game as you. Even though you enjoy the unrealistic movie monsters and not dinosaurs...
    Iím running short of rep. Otherwise, would be happy to give you some as I appreciate your intention trying to protect the minority voices!

Iím not an animal behaviorist so I will stay out of this discussion. Gaming wise, I would like to see a complete overhaul of the hunting system. An ambush system AI and a concerted, mutual, dynamic, engaging chase hunting system AI should be in place. I will open a new thread on the idea request section at a later time.

Right now, Iím sad to say the hunting system virtually doesnít exist at all. What is there is just a scripted static animation. Things have to start from there Iím afraid to say. Besides, the running system needs to be revised as well. Donít get me wrong, I like that the Dinos able to react to stimuli in real time (staring at a chopper etc) but the running itself seems to have a major time lag. For instance, when a carnivore chases a jeep or chasing away a prey, there is an obvious time lag in such that it is chasing a ghost in the past. I hope the herding AI update does address the issue in some sense otherwise it definitely needs a complete rework.

Originally Posted by JohnMiller1132 View Post (Source)
    I’m running short of rep. Otherwise, would be happy to give you some as I appreciate your intention trying to protect the minority voices!

I’m not an animal behaviorist so I will stay out of this discussion. Gaming wise, I would like to see a complete overhaul of the hunting system. An ambush system AI and a concerted, mutual, dynamic, engaging chase hunting system AI should be in place. I will open a new thread on the idea request section at a later time.

Right now, I’m sad to say the hunting system virtually doesn’t exist at all. What is there is just a scripted static animation. Things have to start from there I’m afraid to say. Besides, the running system needs to be revised as well. Don’t get me wrong, I like that the Dinos able to react to stimuli in real time (staring at a chopper etc) but the running itself seems to have a major time lag. For instance, when a carnivore chases a jeep or chasing away a prey, there is an obvious time lag in such that it is chasing a ghost in the past. I hope the herding AI update does address the issue in some sense otherwise it definitely needs a complete rework.
    A complete rework will never happen.

No way a T-Rex could even follow a Galli. Doesn't matter how long the legs are. The immense weight will still slow it down alot.
    Again you don't understand how animals hunt. You think the Gallimimus could run from the Rex forever at a constant speed? No it couldn't. The Rex was an active hunter. Meaning it's weight would not slow it down cause it was built to carry that weight and ssurvive with it.

A complete rework will never happen.
    ?

The only reason I can think of is the defense that this is a park management game. Even then, it feels too clunky and completely breaks game immersion. Anyways, I might be the minority in this case but I do think that this is a crucial element of the franchise - the thrill, the fear that have been completely overlooked.

Anyways, I shouldn’t be discussing this thing here. If you like, I would like to invite you in discussing this further when I post this under the idea section in the future.

For your info, I’ve lowered my standard with animations and I strongly think it is doable. The chasing system is already there; the animations are already there. It just needs some tweaks to make this look natural. What I mean by complete rework is just the tweaks themselves. They can be very challenging to be honest but I do figure out ways I would like to share. Again, please join the discussion if you like. You’re welcome.

Originally Posted by JohnMiller1132 View Post (Source)
    ?

The only reason I can think of is the defense that this is a park management game. Even then, it feels too clunky and completely breaks game immersion. Anyways, I might be the minority in this case but I do think that this is a crucial element of the franchise - the thrill, the fear that have been completely overlooked.
    A complete rework would take too much time. All we will get is improvements to what is already in the game.

A complete rework would take too much time. All we will get is improvements to what is already in the game.
    Really donít know if we should continue here. Itís off topic.

Yes. The tweaks are challenging and it takes time. To give you a glimpse, it needs extra work on aspects of running speeds, acceleration. Most importantly the detection system needs to be optimised to be highly efficient. The latter may have been accounted already with herding AI, hopefully. Also, the end point of the interaction animations needs to be reconfigured. However, as I said, many of the existing pieces can be reused.

The point is I donít expect this to happen like immediately. In fact, I think they should not focus on this area especially in the coming months. They really need to address the park building/management fan base. But that doesnít mean it should never happens in the future.

This is not a luxury feature. It is one of the core elements of the franchise IMO. Thatís all Iím trying to say.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast