Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night vision concern

Originally Posted by UFO Reality View Post (Source)
    I always thought silent running was to avoid a scan and in combat another method to break weapons lock and not really to make you invisible.
    Yes. But it is not about making you invisible but harder to get hit by hitscan (like rail gun).

In deep space, it can be difficult to hit a SR target with hitscan because you barely see it. As a tactic also, some people use heat sink and only bank when they are cold (because they are not targettable) and the only thing that made it easier to hit with hit scan was the SCB effect. You can also loose the sight on a good SR.

Nightvision and new lightning simply restrict a lot the use of SR (in PvP).

Originally Posted by mrxtheta View Post (Source)
    Only if Frontier would add "cloak module". Imagine that it would distort sensors and make ship semi transparent. But you would have a choice. Silent run or cloak. (cloak module would disable shields when activated)
    IŽd also like a radio transmission decoder module, which could be used to scramble other CMDRs voice comms. In combination, those two mechanics would make a wonderful introduction to stealth and scout missions. Could also work on voice-acted NPCs...

Originally Posted by PeLucheuh View Post (Source)
    Yes. But it is not about making you invisible but harder to get hit by hitscan (like rail gun).

In deep space, it can be difficult to hit a SR target with hitscan because you barely see it. As a tactic also, some people use heat sink and only bank when they are cold (because they are not targettable) and the only thing that made it easier to hit with hit scan was the SCB effect. You can also loose the sight on a good SR.

Nightvision and new lightning simply restrict a lot the use of SR (in PvP).
    Do you think there should be a cost to using night vision? Or more of one if it continues to broadcast your location?

Originally Posted by ShadowWolf Kell View Post (Source)
    You do know anyone using VR can keep your "silent running black friday" ship in view 99.9% of the time, right?

Night Vision already seems to be range dependent. You can verify this yourself by using it on a planet.
    This! When the Black friday paints were introduced, i was expecting a few complaints about "pay2win" for PvP because it makes eyeballing a little bit harder than having the white-red paint on the FDL.
    This nightvision just brings it back in line IMO so nobody can say anymore paintjobs would be "pay2win".

The downside however is, that visiting the SCB effect isn't easy with nightvision on. Chances are high, that you miss the effect and miss the chance for your feedback rail.

So at the end in sum, i think it is absolutely okay how it is now

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    Do you think there should be a cost to using night vision? Or more of one if it continues to broadcast your location?
    Just a thought (around combat) but maybe it could be restricted to analysis mode and/or a range of 1km max.
    It could also have drawback (when used in combat) like :
    - taking shots while using nightvision affect your hud and might blind you for a couple of seconds.

Originally Posted by PeLucheuh View Post (Source)
    Just a thought (around combat) but maybe it could be restricted to analysis mode and/or a range of 1km max.
    It could also have drawback (when used in combat) like :
    - taking shots while using nightvision affect your hud and might blind you for a couple of seconds.
    A right...how should that work when fighting in rings which are dark? As i said, i think it's okay. SR never was supposed to make you invisible. Flying straight into the direction of a star is more effective anyway to counter eyeballing

Originally Posted by Lucius-Darcia View Post (Source)
    A right...how should that work when fighting in rings which are dark? As i said, i think it's okay. SR never was supposed to make you invisible. Flying straight into the direction of a star is more effective anyway to counter eyeballing
    Are rocks invisible ??? No, they are like SR, harder to see but with nightvision, not anymore...

As i said, the point is not about making you invisible but harder to get hit by hitscan.

And yes, star is effective when there is one...

People that use NS > people that use SR

One thing I find slightly jarring is how well lights blend in, in Night Vision. IMO lights should be slightly blinding to Cmdrs using night-vision.

Then there's an obvious counter-measure against an opponent who you think is using night-vision: give us flares which - for a few seconds - make night vision much less effective. Then it becomes a trade-off in combat: do I want to use night-vision against silent-running opponents, and risk a brief sensor blindness if they drop a flare? Or is the night-vision worth it?

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    One thing I find slightly jarring is how well lights blend in, in Night Vision. IMO lights should be slightly blinding to Cmdrs using night-vision.

Then there's an obvious counter-measure against an opponent who you think is using night-vision: give us flares which - for a few seconds - make night vision much less effective. Then it becomes a trade-off in combat: do I want to use night-vision against silent-running opponents, and risk a brief sensor blindness if they drop a flare? Or is the night-vision worth it?
    They wouldn't do that because you'd be able to pick out the blinking light on canisters more easily on a planets surface and we all know that violates the "you can't use a ship to interact with surface targets" rule... You know, the same one that caused PIOs to become invisible under 1.5 km or brought about the god powered skimmers that can knock out a ship if they even so much as brush one? Yeah, we can't have none of that ship interaction in a game that all about flying a ship.

Originally Posted by Pville_Piper View Post (Source)
    They wouldn't do that because you'd be able to pick out the blinking light on canisters more easily on a planets surface and we all know that violates the "you can't use a ship to interact with surface targets" rule... You know, the same one that caused PIOs to become invisible under 1.5 km or brought about the god powered skimmers that can knock out a ship if they even so much as brush one? Yeah, we can't have none of that ship interaction in a game that all about flying a ship.
    I know your post is dripping with sarcasm (euuuuh!) but that actually sounds really cool. Doing surface scans in Night Vision, and seeing tiny light beacons and/or distress beacons shiny REALLY brightly in that mode would be really cool.

FD, make it happen!

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    I know your post is dripping with sarcasm (euuuuh!) but that actually sounds really cool. Doing surface scans in Night Vision, and seeing tiny light beacons and/or distress beacons shiny REALLY brightly in that mode would be really cool.

FD, make it happen!
    I agree, I enjoy just wandering over the planets in my ship. I'd like to see these things be made visible from further off, I hate it when building suddenly pop into view.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12