Thread: Need a hint for a mission

Need a hint for a mission

Hello CMDRs
    I have this game a few weeks now and have been lurking this forum for info. Started out with the sidewinder, flew a few days with the adder and currently in a Cobra Mk3.
    Did a few missions, hauled some cargo and did some combat in RES zones by assisting the cops by killing some criminals.
    I've read about a good way for leveling up my Federation rank and went to Sothis/Ceos. Did my first Fed Navy mission and got my first rank.
    The second missions I feel a bit stuck at this moment. Maybe you guys and girls can give me some advice.
    It's a black box salvage mission. I located the spot. At the moment I come out of supercruise I see a bunch of cargo drifting. After a few seconds (before I can make out which one of them is the black box and scoop it up) 3 fighters (one eagle and the other two probably too) come out of supercruise and immediately start pounding lasers and missiles at me. In about half a minute I am blown up. I'm not agile enough in my Cobra to run from them. So far I've tried this mission two times and had to pay the insurance to get my Cobra back.
    Any hint (tactics, good configuration for my ship or perhaps I have to get a nippy Eagle too, scoop in the cargo fast and run like hell) to do this mission ? Or better skip this mission and try an easier one ?

Besides this, I love this game, I run it in VR (since a few months I have a WMR headset from Medion), bought myself a Thrustmaster T16000 FCS and use Voiceattack especially for ED. With this setup the game is really immersive and I hope to fly for many light years to come !

Originally Posted by Deztro View Post (Source)
    Hello CMDRs
    I have this game a few weeks now...Or better skip this mission and try an easier one ?
    Welcome commander, Have you tought about joining a group, that would help you in these situations and would be fun too.
    Or take another mission or keep going for it, but they can come with 6+ npc at you also...your choice there
    Even in bigger ships & super protected you will have this situations and be killed in 1,2,3 no escaping that.
    Go for the skimmer missions and you may have some surprises too, more then just 1 kind of skimmers out there.
    Maybe buy a mk4 and do other types of missions?

o7 CMDR, If you can fit a limpet collector, you can send limpets out the moment you drop into the debris field and follow them to the black boxes with you cargo hold open and facing it towards them. Basically use your down thrusters to fly 'down' so that the limpets don't have to swing around your ship to put items in your cargo. Even in a bad situation, you'll collect one or two blackboxes with the limpets before the hostile ships can destroy them, then you can get out of there before your ship is destroyed and if you didn't manage to collect all the items you need - another mission signal source will show up and you can repeat the process. Another tip - passenger missions pay out and are simple, and often quite short (made 10million last night and only had to make about 9 jumps in total) Obviously, keep working for the same factions to increase your reputation and get better missions

Originally Posted by comdr0303 View Post (Source)
    Welcome commander, Have you tought about joining a group, that would help you in these situations and would be fun too.
    Or take another mission or keep going for it, but they can come with 6+ npc at you also...your choice there
    Even in bigger ships & super protected you will have this situations and be killed in 1,2,3 no escaping that.
    Go for the skimmer missions and you may have some surprises too, more then just 1 kind of skimmers out there.
    Maybe buy a mk4 and do other types of missions?
    I'm not in a group (yet!). I wish to be more experienced first, decide whether I continue solo play or go PVP style. Then I take groups.
    By the mk4 you mean a Cobra mk4 ? I think that one is only available for older players (from the wiki page: purchased Horizons before February 5, 2016) so not for a noob like me
    I've googled a bit and I've read some thing about a Vulture, as a heavy fighter that one seems to have better chance of survival against 3 of these pesky pirates ?
    Well maybe I choose the easy road and ditch the mission and take an easier one since 1 on 1 fights are hard enough for me at this moment.

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    o7 CMDR, If you can fit a limpet collector, you can send limpets out the moment you drop into the debris field and follow them to the black boxes with you cargo hold open and facing it towards them. Basically use your down thrusters to fly 'down' so that the limpets don't have to swing around your ship to put items in your cargo. Even in a bad situation, you'll collect one or two blackboxes with the limpets before the hostile ships can destroy them, then you can get out of there before your ship is destroyed and if you didn't manage to collect all the items you need - another mission signal source will show up and you can repeat the process. Another tip - passenger missions pay out and are simple, and often quite short (made 10million last night and only had to make about 9 jumps in total) Obviously, keep working for the same factions to increase your reputation and get better missions
    Thank you sir ! Another handy tip I will try, now or in the future !

Originally Posted by comdr0303 View Post (Source)
    Maybe buy a mk4 .....?
    Except the Cobra MkIV is limited edition and a new commander won't qualify for one.

H......

It's a black box salvage mission. I located the spot. At the moment I come out of supercruise I see a bunch of cargo drifting. After a few seconds (before I can make out which one of them is the black box and scoop it up) 3 fighters (one eagle and the other two probably too) come out of supercruise and immediately start pounding lasers and missiles at me. In about half a minute I am blown up. I'm not agile enough in my Cobra to run from them. So far I've tried this mission two times and had to pay the insurance to get my Cobra back.
    Any hint (tactics, good configuration for my ship or perhaps I have to get a nippy Eagle too, scoop in the cargo fast and run like hell) to do this mission ? Or better skip this mission and try an easier one ?

These missions can be awful to complete. In particular if the mission says "wartime" or suchlike then be prepared for the kind of trouble you experienced.

In general the trick with black box missions is to immediately target items till you see black box, head for it, opening cargo scoop when closer, then as soon as it is in - close scoop and boost if other ships have appeared - if they have not turned up you can try for another box but otherwise just jump out and then rinse and repeat until you have the required number.

Some people use collector limpets (see mp4x's post above) but I have found that to be much slower - it is up to you to decide if you want to maybe try them.

BTW You need not accept any promotion mission if you don't want to do that type (I no longer do assassination ones for example), another one will come up soon enough and so you can wait till one suits you.

P.S. Welcome to the game.

You've come up against a space salvage mission that has an ambush. It's a random occurrence so doesn't happen on every space salvage mission, but if it does happen will happen every time you drop into the mission USS on this particular mission.

They are possible to complete, but it's a bit of a chore, and you have to be quick at scooping, or comfortable using a collector limpet controller, and even then you will likely only get one black box at a time.

I don't know the rank of the mission, but the ambushing pirates are a bit vicious these days, and don't give you much time. I also don't know how many black boxes you need to salvage. The pirate behavior changed a while back and there was a load of forum chat about it. I wrote a more detailed post on how I was able to manage them here. Have a read if you're interested.

It should be noted that the missions that I tended to take were high ranking, so perhaps the pirates were more lethal than yours, but then I've also been playing the game a long time, so it's likely just the same kind of experience.

Honestly, I'd suggest that you might want to abandon this mission, as once the pirates spawn, they spawn every single time with that mission.

Besides this, I love this game, I run it in VR (since a few months I have a WMR headset from Medion), bought myself a Thrustmaster T16000 FCS and use Voiceattack especially for ED. With this setup the game is really immersive and I hope to fly for many light years to come !
    This just reminded me of a buggy mission offer I found - unfortunately I don't remember the system, so I cannot report it properly. Several "transport <name>" offers to a target 27,986 point something light years away - 3 different offers, same destination, a quarter galaxy away. Ok, this just came to mind, sorry to interrupt.

Originally Posted by Lysette View Post (Source)
    This just reminded me of a buggy mission offer I found - unfortunately I don't remember the system, so I cannot report it properly. Several "transport <name>" offers to a target 27,986 point something light years away - 3 different offers, same destination, a quarter galaxy away. Ok, this just came to mind, sorry to interrupt.
    Those are working as intended.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Colonia

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)
    Except the Cobra MkIV is limited edition and a new commander won't qualify for one.

These missions can be awful to complete. In particular if the mission says "wartime" or suchlike then be prepared for the kind of trouble you experienced.

In general the trick with black box missions is to immediately target items till you see black box, head for it, opening cargo scoop when closer, then as soon as it is in - close scoop and boost if other ships have appeared - if they have not turned up you can try for another box but otherwise just jump out and then rinse and repeat until you have the required number.

Some people use collector limpets (see mp4x's post above) but I have found that to be much slower - it is up to you to decide if you want to maybe try them.

BTW You need not accept any promotion mission if you don't want to do that type (I no longer do assassination ones for example), another one will come up soon enough and so you can wait till one suits you.

P.S. Welcome to the game.

+1 to all of this.

I'd suggest abandoning it and taking a simple supply or data mission instead.

If you want to stick with this kind of mission - they're well possible.

However:
    1) check the mission rank. Missions have a rank, and you'll see a warning if the mission's rank is above your current rank. That warning is there for a reason. The higher end missions are targeted towards the higher end pilots.
    2) check the mision target. There are missions for one, two or three black boxes (artwork, whatever). The more you have to collect, the higher the payout - and the risk.

If, after this, you still want to give it a try, first of all choose the right ship. I will go either fast or tanked. For either of these, you'll need access to Engineers and, for the latter, the Guardian shield boosters. Trying this stunt in a stock ship is madness, trying it in an A-rated but unengineered ship still challenging. In a larger ship, you might want to take collector limpets (and a controller that can handle at least as many limpets as you have objects to collect), but I never went that way.

Once you've decided on your ship, found the signal source and dropped in, you'll have to be fast.
    1) go to the left HUD panel, contacts tab, select the black box
    2) approach it, drop your scoop, scoop it. If you're fast, you have time for one run before the ambush starts shooting, so you'll need to catch it on the first try.
    3a) either retract everything and run (fast ship). A fast Sidewinder will outrun almost everything else in the game (any NPC and missiles for sure), a fast Viper or iCourier will outrun everything except another player's Viper or iCourier. The iCourier will also be able to bring along 500 MJ raw/ 700 MJ effective shields, so it'll be able to handle enemy fire for a bit.
    3b) or ignore them and collect whatever else you want (tank). While not everyone will be able to bring a Cutter/Corvette to these parties, a tanked Krait Mk. II can carry ~800 MJ raw/2000 MJ effective shields, which is enough to withstand a wing of NPC Vultures or a couple of Pythons/Anancondas for some time. In the case of Pythons, though, I'd stick around and return the favour .

If you opt for running, and you need to collect more than one box (or haven't caught it on the first round), just step into SC, and fly around your target planet a bit more. A new mission signal source will open up soon, and you can have another go. This will happen until you have fulfilled the mission target and receive the message that you can now rturn to collect your payout.

P.S.: Don't give in to temptation and try to seperate a wing of e.g. an Anaconda with a couple of fighters so you can pick them off individually. It'll take longer than you think, those wings tend to stick together, and once you've lost the mission target from your scanner, you won't be able to find it again.

Thanks for all the responses people, I really appreciate it !

From what I see in the reactions this mission is too hard for me at this moment. I already abonded the mission and took up lighter ones. At this moment I'm a Federal chief petty officer and have permits for Sol and two other systems. Enough ranking up for now, time for a different (short termed) goal in the game to keep in interesting.

I must say people on this forum are very helpful. Before this game I played a lot of years World of Tanks. The people there (in game and in the forum) make up for a very toxic community. I'm delighted to come aboard such a friendly and helpful community

I must say people on this forum are very helpful. Before this game I played a lot of years World of Tanks. The people there (in game and in the forum) make up for a very toxic community............
    Plenty of that in the Dangerous Discussions cesspit forum so be warned, there be dragons in there Jim lad, ohh arr...

...there (in game and in the forum) make up for a very toxic community....
    Plenty of that here, too, mate but when it comes to new CMDRs asking for help, you'll always get some replies. I had a similar experience, in that I left forums of all kinds about 10 years ago, but I later came here when I got VR and wanted some help - which I received in spades. Good luck out there. o7