Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it really matter what model of 1060 I get?

Originally Posted by CMDR MAIN SEQUENCE View Post (Source)
    I've no experience of Zotac but the reviews are decent enough (remember to read expert reviews as well though). And the price compares well.

Or there is this MSI one for around the same price https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-g...gx-32s-ms.html (but Overclockers charge extra for delivery).

If you can wait I would wait for a Black Friday deal.
    I completely forgot about black friday. Good shout.

When I had to research parts in the past I found that PC Pro was usually a good source of information. One of the things I found most useful was their 'Labs' tests. What they would do is to get several items from different suppliers (graphics cards, for example), and then, using identical rigs/software configurations, put them all through a series of rigorous tests, to see which came out on top. I remember a very long time back one magazine tested 60 motherboards (Intel and AMD, in their own groupings).

You might want to check out their 'A List' kit;

https://www.dennis.co.uk/brands/technology/pc-pro/

I don't think it matters much.
    And I'm the same, A pc should be in a box, not light up the room or cause so much noise you can't stand sitting next to it.
    So I almost went out of my way to find a case without a side window.

But any expensive part it's always good to Google some reviews and user experiences of before buying.

I have however heard of a few concerns around knock off 1060's bug in Europe or us, unless you buy off eBay or ali-express I doubt that would ever be an issue.

Here in Europe we have consumer protection laws and this both protect after purchase and makes retailers to sell stuff of decent quality.

There has in the past been the occasional card thst was perhaps made with undersized parts.
    like there was a 1080 or 1080ti that was fitted with the cooler off a 1070 which obviously wasn't keeping up.
    But that was the only problem as well so if you for instance building a water cooled rig and was swapping out the cooler anyway those cards turned out to be rather good value.

And the minor differences for the higher prices versions of same card is usually only noticeable, if at all, once you start overclocking.

Would you consider a second hand card? Maybe get a 1080 for that money?

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    Would you consider a second hand card? Maybe get a 1080 for that money?
    And risk getting a mare that's been ridden near death by idiot cryptominers, without warranty.

Originally Posted by Shadowdancer View Post (Source)
    And risk getting a mare that's been ridden near death by idiot cryptominers, without warranty.
    That's why I'm asking. There's a pretty sound market here for second hand cards, I don't know the situation where ol' mate lives.

I have to give a nod to ASUS here for their warranty and RMA performance as whenever I've had to use them, they've been great.

As for 1060's themselves, no experience with them. Looks like I'll be skipping the 10x and 20x series entirely.

It compares favourable to a 970.

Originally Posted by mp4x View Post (Source)
    That's why I'm asking. There's a pretty sound market here for second hand cards, I don't know the situation where ol' mate lives.
    Yeah, after the crypto-craze, I'm steering well clear of 2nd-hand.

I just can't afford the risk. For me, new is better value by grace of quality.

Originally Posted by Un1k0rn View Post (Source)
    Yeah, after the crypto-craze, I'm steering well clear of 2nd-hand.

I just can't afford the risk. For me, new is better value by grace of quality.
    I will take more easily a second-hand CPU than a GPU, for sure.

As others have said, card specs are generally the same (or at least in the same ball park) in a particular model. The main differences are the cooling solution and any other bells and whistles a manufacturer will add on.

I generally put a lot of stock in user reviews for most anything I buy these days. A lot of them are pretty honest and while there are some that are blatantly "paid for" those are not too hard to spot. Another helpful resource, for computer parts anyway, are websites that let you compare all the specs side by side. NewEgg.com is my go-to for that. i am not sure if that site is an option for those in Europe like Amazon is, and the prices are in US Dollars, but specs are universal.

I took the liberty of putting both of Uni's linked cards and also an EVGA model in the same price range on NewEgg's compare feature. It looks like the Zotac and the EVGA are dead on with each other while the Gigabyte has slightly better clock speeds. Also the Gigabyte has different display connections which may be something to consider.

Then there are the bells and whistles. Shop informed I always say.

And wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

Edit - Switching NewEgg.com over to British Pounds shows prices a bit better than Amazon, even with the VAT added (however that works). Shipping rates and times with Customs involved may prove bothersome though. On the other hand I get stuff shipped direct from China here in the US and sometimes it arrives faster than Amazon super saver shipping. Go figure.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?CompareItemList=48%7C14%2D125%2D901%5E14%2D125%2D901%2C14%2D500%2D402%5E14%2D500%2D402%2C14%2D487%2D260%5E14%2D487%2D260

Originally Posted by Broon View Post (Source)

And wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday!

Yeah best to wait.
    These days before black Friday and whatnot often see highly inflated prices over the norm.
    Much easier to claim 80% off after you hike the price for a few weeks by 70%.

People have gotten wise to this practice though so I suspect it to be a little less than before.

The 1060 with 6 GO has an excellent reputation.

The arrival of the GDDR5X should confirm it.

Maybe try to find this model with a good price ? Without blackplate on the back for example.

Also do avoid the 3GB models of 1060 (which you seem to be aware of). Not terrible cards per say, but they are not really 'full' 1060 cards and that 3GB of RAM is too small these days for many games (and that will only get worse as texture sizes/quality increases).

I have had various brands down the years but seem to gravitate to Gigabyte these days, although they did have an issue with coil whine on their top end 1060's (gamer brand type things). Brand is probably less important these days than it used to be (especially if you stick to the mainstream brands), but it is certainly a good idea to look for reviews of the actual model you are considering.

Take the 6Gb one.
    I'll try to explain in simple words.
    There are two main types of such cards. The first one has reference PCB design, but with custom cooling. They are pretty cool and are quite good.
    The second type has custom PCB and massive cooling with different RGB, features etc. They have ultimate performance among 1060 models.
    If you don't bother yourself with overclocking at extreme levels than choose the first type.

The best vendors I recommend are EVGA, Asus, Inno3D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12